Grilling and smoking thread

JDEaston

We'll winter has finally ended and its officially grilling season. Not sure how many backyard chef's we have here, but I am sure there are several.

So I figured I would start a thread where we could share recipes and cooking methods, and so on.

I haven't really got started full swing yet this year but am anxious to start using the smoker grill.

Tonight i'll be grilling filet's with asparagus and lobster tail rissoto for mothers day dinner.

Next weekend I may attempt my first smoked brisket. Any suggestions?

We'll winter has finally ended and its officially grilling season. Not sure how many backyard chef's we have here, but I am sure there are several.

So I figured I would start a thread where we could share recipes and cooking methods, and so on.

I haven't really got started full swing yet this year but am anxious to start using the smoker grill.

Tonight i'll be grilling filet's with asparagus and lobster tail rissoto for mothers day dinner.

Low and slow

I usually smoke most meets around 225.. I figure brisket will take an hour to hour and a half per pound at that cooking temp. I have had good luck with anything pork, but have never done brisket. I expect it to be a bit tougher to get right.

Any tips on seasonings or rubs? I usually use a coating of mustart, salt, pepper, and a dry rub for most meats. I usually add some honey and apple juice for ribs. But I was told once that its best to keep briskets simple, just salt and pepper them.

Have seen tons of brisket since I've been in Texas. My advice would be to watch it closely and not to get too down on yourself if the first one doesn't turn out like you like. I've seen people who are pretty experienced at smoking them mess parts of one up, and it seems like it's something that's easy to do (usually it's too dry).

Have seen tons of brisket since I've been in Texas. My advice would be to watch it closely and not to get too down on yourself if the first one doesn't turn out like you like. I've seen people who are pretty experienced at smoking them mess parts of one up, and it seems like it's something that's easy to do (usually it's too dry).

Smoked my first brisket Friday night. I'd read how hard it is. It was simple. Perhaps because I went with a smaller one (5.5 lbs). Used a Weber kettle grill. Kept it around 225 degrees. Used a pre-made dry rub purchased at Krogers. Wrapped it in foil for the last 1.5 hours.Came out extremely moist and juicy. Used it as an appetizer for a gathering of folks down the farm. It was devoured. Grilled venison burgers for the dinner, with topping choices of bacon, spam, metts and/or ham, with sides of salad and Cincy style chili on mac n cheese (basically a 3 way). Grilling season is indeed here.

Smoked my first brisket Friday night. I'd read how hard it is. It was simple. Perhaps because I went with a smaller one (5.5 lbs). Used a Weber kettle grill. Kept it around 225 degrees. Used a pre-made dry rub purchased at Krogers. Wrapped it in foil for the last 1.5 hours.Came out extremely moist and juicy. Used it as an appetizer for a gathering of folks down the farm. It was devoured. Grilled venison burgers for the dinner, with topping choices of bacon, spam, metts and/or ham, with sides of salad and Cincy style chili on mac n cheese (basically a 3 way). Grilling season is indeed here.

Did you had any thing to your deer meat.

Did you had any thing to your deer meat.

I always doctor them up with whatever I have handy. This time I added a little hamburger, as well as Worchestershire sause, some onion soup mix, a dash or two of A-1; dried thyme (or was it rosemary?), garlic powder, salt and pepper. The charcoal still had some apple chips left over from the brisket, so the burgers had a little smoke apple taste to them. Henry won't let me cook anything more complicated than microwaved coffee at the house, so when I get to cook down at the farm, I like to have fun cooking. I learned my lesson last year when I cooked a fancy menu for about 25 folks. Lordy, that was work. This year I kept it much simpler.

Hope I didn't offend Joker with my comment about how simple it was to smoke a brisket after he'd posted something to the effect that it can be difficult. But it was pretty simple. I may have just got lucky with my first attempt.

I prefer the pulled pork from a Boston butt roast. I have smoked dozens of pork roasts and all of them turned out great. My two attempts at smoking briskets resulted in shoe leather tough meat and I thought that I followed all of the right procedures for making a good smoked brisket.

If you have the right set-up and can follow directions, it is hard not to get good results with pulled pork. Fortunately, I am in the camp that believes that real barbecue requires real pork but I won't consider myself a pit master until I succeed with a smoked brisket.

Congrats on your results, but don't let it go to your head. :lol2:

I currently live in an apartment and we are not allowed to have gas or charcoal grills or smokers. When I lived in Indiana, I used a large ceramic smoker/grill to prepare barbecue but it is in storage for the time being.

I have been thinking about buying an electric smoker and I am leaning toward an Old Smokey, which is made in Houston. I know that electrics are not capable of the same results that a good Weber smoker or a ceramic smoker, but supposedly they can still produce some pretty good results.

If you have or have had an electric smoker, I would appreciate it if you would share your opinions of them. I would be using the smoker mostly for chicken and pork.

I do a lot of Boston butts throughout the year. I do a lot of ribs too, but prefer baby backs and they are hard to find at local butcher shops unless they are pre-cooked. I have most things pork down pat.

I would like to try more beef, I have done smoked burgers before and they were the best burgers I've ever had. I have been working myself up to the brisket, but I think I'm ready to try it. Smoked fish is on my wishlist this summer too, as are breakfast "fatties."

I do a lot of Boston butts throughout the year. I do a lot of ribs too, but prefer baby backs and they are hard to find at local butcher shops unless they are pre-cooked. I have most things pork down pat.

I would like to try more beef, I have done smoked burgers before and they were the best burgers I've ever had. I have been working myself up to the brisket, but I think I'm ready to try it. Smoked fish is on my wishlist this summer too, as are breakfast "fatties."

The prices on pork shoulder are ridiculous these days. The ones I cooked the other day were retrieved from my dad's deep freeze. I had gotten them two years ago and the price on them was $1.29 a pound. The package of two cost something like $23. Same package now would be almost $50.

For whatever reason, other pork cuts don't seem to be affected by this price increase. I've seen baby back ribs at my butcher shop for $2.99 lb (which is the lowest I ever see it) a couple times this spring.

Henry won't let me cook anything more complicated than microwaved coffee at the house, so when I get to cook down at the farm, I like to have fun cooking.

Henry is wise….and likely why you get to do your cooking down on the farm ! I prefer farm grilled foods over microwave coffee anyway !