Scott County/Fleming County predictions (Sweet 16 1st Round)

Who Wins?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Scott County (32-3)
    • Fleming County (24-9)

For me this game (and almost any that Scott County are involved in) depends upon Trent Gilbert's ability to "earn" free throws. Every time he attacks the basket his shot is accompanied by a cry as if he's been ambushed. Some officials fall for it, others don't. To his credit his free throw percentage is phenomenal, he went 14-15 in the 11th Region Final against Henry Clay for example. Keep Gilbert away from the charity stripe and give your team a chance ... foul him and you'll be on your way home for sure!

DAVE

For me this game (and almost any that Scott County are involved in) depends upon Trent Gilbert's ability to "earn" free throws. Every time he attacks the basket his shot is accompanied by a cry as if he's been ambushed. Some officials fall for it, others don't. To his credit his free throw percentage is phenomenal, he went 14-15 in the 11th Region Final against Henry Clay for example. Keep Gilbert away from the charity stripe and give your team a chance ... foul him and you'll be on your way home for sure!

DAVE

Gilbert's 40 against Ballard in Louisville slightly disagrees with his game being contingent upon his ability to bait refs into bailing him out. That one was on Ballard's turf and he answered the bell. I won't question the kid's ability after that. Kid can play.

What I will agree on is that he's lethal from the charity stripe; he's also lethal if you let him have enough room to get his shot off. I'd even go a step further and say that, for a high school prospect (i.e., not considering college), his ability to create his own shot is underrated. Kid doesn't have the foot speed to be a superior ball handler in the 11th, but he's still got some tight handle and a few go-to moves that will let him create space between him and the on-ball defender.

Fleming has been there before, so it will be interesting to see. At the end of the day, I think Scott County is just a little better though.

For those who are more familiar with each of the teams, who do you see Scott County using to guard Burns and who do you see Fleming County using to guard Gilbert?

What can I expect from Troy Steward? What kind of player is he? What schools are realistic for him at the next level?

Might end up being the best game of Round 1. Scott County is pretty darn solid, considering their record and the region they're coming out of. Fleming would have to press a little bit and play its best offensive game of the year to beat Scott Co. Gilbert I know is the real deal. If this team wins it all, he should be Mr. Basketball, what say you all?

As for the question about Steward, I believe that a good performance from him in this game will land him several D1 offers. Kid is 6'4", creates his shot, has a pure stroke (gets it from his cousin, Chris Lofton), and is bouncy. I know this time last year that Western Kentucky was real interested. Anyone know about Gilbert's college future? Or Burns from Fleming? I heard he was getting big time interest before the ACL injury but what about now...