Trash Talking

This debate deserves its own thread. Here are the questions:

Is trash talking ever ok?

What limits are there/should there be?

When does it cross the line for you?

Do you even care about trash talking?

Here is my view. I understand the emotions of competition. I understand getting in another player's face or talking trash. If one player is doing it, it is natural to respond. I believe most players that do it, need it to keep them playing at their highest level. It gets the adrenaline flowing and gets them focused. So in general, I am ok with trash talking.

What I don't like is when it goes outside the playing field. I think it shows disrespect for an opponent and a lack of character if I talk trash about an opponent outside the field of play. Richard Sherman I respect as a player. I lose respect for him as a person every time he opens his mouth.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love trash talking. Family is off limits. Everything else is fair game. I love watching two people talk trash to either with their mouths and in basketball I like when two people guarding each other go back and forth also like Kyrie Irving and Brandon Knight? did during All star weekend last year.

I think people would be surprised at the trash talking that goes on at the middle school level on basketball courts. Kid hits a three on another kid and kid who hit it will say "face".

Trash talking at the high school level happens nightly. I'll always remember my oldest playing against Anthony Hickey and him telling me how corny Anthony Hickey was. :lol:

I personally love it. I always have, and I always will.

I liken it to student section chants. As long as it's directly related to what's happening on the field, I'm typically not only OK with it but totally in support of it. When it gets personal, it starts to bother me a little.

I agree that family should be off limits... Unless of course your mom is a Homie Hopper like LeBron's. :lol: Kinda hard to ignore that.

Seriously though... If you can trash talk and back it up, have at it. It makes games much more exciting. I'd venture to say that 95% of all people that ever played competitive/team sports trash talked at some point in their careers.

I agree that family should be off limits... Unless of course your mom is a Homie Hopper like LeBron's. :lol: Kinda hard to ignore that.

Seriously though... If you can trash talk and back it up, have at it. It makes games much more exciting. I'd venture to say that 95% of all people that ever played competitive/team sports trash talked at some point in their careers.

I talk smack when I play Uno, man... Competition drives me.

I'm good with it as long as you know it will catch up to you at some point. Especially in the NFL. I'm even fine going personal if you are willing to meet that person off the field. The greatest retaliation ever from (allegedly) making it personal is Zinedine Zidane in the World Cup finals with the epic head butt.

Trash talking should be encouraged IMO. Nothing is off limits. It ends once both teams have left the stadium for the day/night following a game/series.

^^I think this pretty much sums it up.

I do find it funny that whatever idiot TV producer/director/executive purposely picked out Stewart and then wants to be surprised when he runs off at the mouth? He has a history of running his mouth after every game (including a game where he got smacked). This kind of backlash and outrage was planned for ratings long in advance of who won.