Wild Gray Wolf Killed By Hunter In Kentucky - First In 150 Years

Colonels_Wear_Blue

Yes, it was a wolf, in Kentucky | James Bruggers ? Watchdog Earth

"The first documented free-ranging wolf in Kentucky’s modern history was shot and killed by an unsuspecting hunter, state wildlife officials have announced.

DNA analysis performed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Wildlife Research Center in Colorado determined the 73-pound animal was a federally endangered gray wolf with a genetic makeup resembling wolves native to the Great Lakes Region. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Forensics Laboratory in Oregon confirmed the finding.

How the wolf found its way to a Munfordville hay ridge at daybreak in March remains a mystery, the agency reports. Wolves have been gone from the state since the mid-1800s."

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If truly wild there are others. One theory is that it was in captivity and escaped due to the amount of plaque build up on its teeth. Wild wolves don't have plaque build up.

I know of a wild wolf sanctuary, as well as, a few folks in SE and SC Indiana with domesticated canadian timberwolves. They're awesome animals. So this guy thought he shot himself a coyote. Well that's one gargantuan coyote. Here's more info on a link I found.

Kentucky Gray Wolf Killed - Page 2 - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Most folks would have thought it was a coyote unless they knew what they were looking at. It's a shame it was shot. I'd be on the look out for a litter or siblings in the region if it's wild. Cool find CWB and thanks for sharing!

Saw what I thought was a solid black coyote on the last eve of rifle season, trotting in my direction and below me. Stopped him at about 50 yards, just was not completely sure he was a coyote. Trotted like one, sized like one and spooked like one about 2 seconds after I voiced him to a stop. Saved the bullet and his life. When in doubt, I don't squeeze. Anyone know of black coyotes?

With the liberals yes! He's good otherwise, thought he was shooting a coyote and well they haven't seen a wolf in our region since the late 1800's. No charges filed per KDFWR, nor should they be.

Shocked he is not in hot water. While I agree he should not be, he did take a species he should not have. I'm hoping an Elk walks into my scope in NKY lol. I Could always say I thought it was a deer?

The one that gets me is duck hunters determining species of ducks in a flock and on the fly.

I think that is hard to do.

Shocked he is not in hot water. While I agree he should not be, he did take a species he should not have. I'm hoping an Elk walks into my scope in NKY lol. I Could always say I thought it was a deer?

The one that gets me is duck hunters determining species of ducks in a flock and on the fly.

I think that is hard to do.

IT would be perfectly legal, by the way, to kill that elk.