High School Football Stadium Construction Costs

Maroon Beech

Last week voters in Katy, TX voted NOT to approve funding for construction of a 14,000 seat stadium at a cost of about $69.5 MM. This equates to $5,000 per seat. This would be a second stadium to serve their seven Class 5A high schools in their school district.

Allen, TX built their 18,000 seat stadium two years ago at a total cost of about $60 MM or $3,300 per seat. My question is what is the average cost of new stadium construction in KY (specifically per seat average)? I know several of the Fayette County high schools plus Harlan Co., Letcher Central, etc. have built new stadiums recently.

I lived in Dallas, TX for three years and I know how important high school football is but those numbers seem off the scale.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purple; I think that would be steep even in Texas! Also, I don't think the $69.5 MM included land as the new stadium would be built on the same parcel of land with the current Rhodes Stadium. The Katy ISD has seven Class 5A schools (all in one district) sharing their one existing stadium. If the new stadium were built, they would expand the parking lot to accomodate folks at both stadiums. As a side note, I don't see how seven schools with student populations more than 2,400 could all use one stadium. Even during district games there could be four contests during one weekend. I guess Thursday night, Friday night, 2 on Saturdays, etc. In the case of Allen, TX they only have the one High School, with 5,200 in grades 10 thru 12.

I looked at one of these stadium deals a few years ago and conservatively looked like they were paying close to double what it should cost to build the stadium. As always somebody is getting "paid" at the expense of tax payers.

Much smaller issue of over paying for contracts seems to be behind the closure of the Monticello School System by the state.

Paul blazer in Ashland should be undergoing a 5+ million dollar restoration soon. It will be horeshoe shaped, with enclosed bleachers, a new press box, locker rooms, lighting and sound, and a turf field. I can't break down the cost numbers, because it will not be a new stadium, but I would expect seating to be between 5 and 6,000.

Paul blazer in Ashland should be undergoing a 5+ million dollar restoration soon. It will be horeshoe shaped, with enclosed bleachers, a new press box, locker rooms, lighting and sound, and a turf field. I can't break down the cost numbers, because it will not be a new stadium, but I would expect seating to be between 5 and 6,000.

JD;

That works out to about $1,000 per seat. I know we are talking restoration vs. new construction, so it's not exactly apples to apples but your figures seem more reasonable.

Purple; I think that would be steep even in Texas! Also, I don't think the $69.5 MM included land as the new stadium would be built on the same parcel of land with the current Rhodes Stadium. The Katy ISD has seven Class 5A schools (all in one district) sharing their one existing stadium. If the new stadium were built, they would expand the parking lot to accomodate folks at both stadiums. As a side note, I don't see how seven schools with student populations more than 2,400 could all use one stadium. Even during district games there could be four contests during one weekend. I guess Thursday night, Friday night, 2 on Saturdays, etc. In the case of Allen, TX they only have the one High School, with 5,200 in grades 10 thru 12.

Correct and this does not include the stadiums they have at the high schools for their JV & Freshman teams. It is crazy because some of those stadiums are the size of Holmes seating. Not saying Holmes.

Correct and this does not include the stadiums they have at the high schools for their JV & Freshman teams. It is crazy because some of those stadiums are the size of Holmes seating. Not saying Holmes.

Also keep in mind that many of the bands in TX have 300 plus kids and those bring in large draws for whatever you call band competitions. Also, some of those stadiums are municiple and shared by multiple schools in the same town. With that said, in KY we have prevailing wage which drives up cost by 50-60%, and that is the real fleesing of the state bonding!

Artificial turf replacement is about $1M for a standard multi-use football, soccer, lacrosse type setup. Maybe its another $1M in original set-up. Not sure. Nice track and track and field fixures - maybe another $1M. Home stands - maybe $1M. Visitor stands maybe half a million. You should be able to do a nice set up for around $5M.

Transylvania is completing construction of this new facility. According the article below the cost is $8M. That includes offices, locker rooms, etc. for a completely new build-out. So $69.5M?!? That must be a heck of a stadium/complex.

Transylvania University: Transylvania breaks ground for state-of-the-art athletics complex

"Centerpiece of the complex will be a state-of-the-art lighted turf field for soccer, lacrosse, and field hockey, surrounded by an NCAA-regulation eight-lane track with an all-weather surface. Space for field events will be adjacent. An 800-seat grandstand, press box, and concession area will complete the playing facilities. A new office and locker room building will house coaches’ offices and a training room, and on-site parking will be available.

The athletics complex is expected to cost $8 million,..."

I don't know what it would cost for a High School stadium. Campbell County folks could help out here since they just built theirs. I do know a new football complex including locker rooms, stands, field turf, press box etc. is being built at a college we visited for about $16 mill.

The Ashland cost was on a web site last year I believe that had a total cost and there was a article about the project and its cancelation due to it exceeding their estimates. McCracken Co just built the a new stadium and installed field turf but I cant say that I have seen cost

Also keep in mind that many of the bands in TX have 300 plus kids and those bring in large draws for whatever you call band competitions. Also, some of those stadiums are municiple and shared by multiple schools in the same town. With that said, in KY we have prevailing wage which drives up cost by 50-60%, and that is the real fleesing of the state bonding!

Yes I realize (I grew up in the state) that but most of the band competitions are held at the district stadium and not at the high schools because of the large size of the stadiums.

Yes I realize (I grew up in the state) that but most of the band competitions are held at the district stadium and not at the high schools because of the large size of the stadiums.

Im not arguing that point, but in the NEW stadiums they are building, they are hosting band competitions, community events, etc...Got a good buddy of mine in the KISD down there and that is exactly what they are doing. I guess what I am saying is it maybe labled a football stadium and it probably brings in 40K a game on gate alone, but it's much more functional than that. I wonder what X and T paid for theirs??

Im not arguing that point, but in the NEW stadiums they are building, they are hosting band competitions, community events, etc...Got a good buddy of mine in the KISD down there and that is exactly what they are doing. I guess what I am saying is it maybe labled a football stadium and it probably brings in 40K a game on gate alone, but it's much more functional than that. I wonder what X and T paid for theirs??

I was not arguing just stating I grew up in Texas, actually the Houston area as well. That is still a lot of $$ to be paying for a stadium. I can see some places in Houston building a stadium that size because they either have the tax revenue or they have some VERY wealthy donors!