Pappy Van Winkle bourbon theft investigation won't 'leave any stone unturned'

theguru

Okay, which one of you was at the Buffalo Trace facility in Frankfort!?

A day after it was reported that roughly 65 cases of 20-year-old Pappy Van Winkle bourbon had gone missing from Buffalo Trace’s Frankfort facility, Franklin County Sheriff Pat Melton said his office has been inundated with calls about the theft — some tips and a lot of media calls.

“I’ve just been blown away by it,” he said.

Called “the bourbon so popular even billionaires can’t find it,” by The Wall Street Journal in a July story, the response to the theft “just shows how valuable the product is and how special it is,” Melton said.

Investigators have vowed they “are not going to leave any stone unturned,” and are already following up on leads in the case, which he said appears to be an inside job, perpetrated over the course of about two months, one case at a time.

By the time supervisors at Buffalo Trace realized what had happened, dozens of cases were gone — to the tune of about $25,350 retail — along with nine cases of 13-year-old Van Winkle Family Reserve rye, valued at a total of about $675.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20131017/NEWS01/310170069/Investigators-won-t-leave-any-stone-unturned-Pappy-Van-Winkle-heist

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there a couple of weeks ago, but I am innocent.

Daughter tells me that PVW sells for $18 a shot at Caproni's here in town. The tour guide at BT said that was cheap.

North of $50 a shot at a Seattle eatery I frequented a couple years ago.

I told the wife tonight that this heist may be similar to an art museum theft -- buyers lined up before the crime was committed. I shared a bottle of Pappy with friends (over the course of six months) a few years back. At the $90 price tag, I'd honestly prefer two bottles of Pogue's or three bottles of Willett's Rye.

I was there a couple of weeks ago, but I am innocent.

Daughter tells me that PVW sells for $18 a shot at Caproni's here in town. The tour guide at BT said that was cheap.

No way that's the 23yo. Might be the 20yo, but I've never seen it for less than $25.

I told the wife tonight that this heist may be similar to an art museum theft -- buyers lined up before the crime was committed. I shared a bottle of Pappy with friends (over the course of six months) a few years back. At the $90 price tag, I'd honestly prefer two bottles of Pogue's or three bottles of Willett's Rye.

Got 2 bottles of Old Pogue's Five Fathers when they released it this summer. Signed and numbered, pretty cool.