Eastern Kentucky runs crazy "Punt Screen Pass" vs Morehead State

AverageJoesGym

Last night in the Eastern Kentucky 52-24 win over Morehead State the Colonels ran a play that I had never seen before. Jordan Berry, the EKU punter, took the snap and kicked a rugby style kick to EKU gunner Trey Thomas. Since Thomas was behind the line of scrimmage he was allowed to advance the ball--which he did for a first down. My son is the long snapper and he says that they've practiced this over the two seasons that he's been there but never tried it in a game before last night. Pretty slick play, I'd like to see it on ESPN.

[video=youtube_share;-a23JuEeitY]

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night in the Eastern Kentucky 52-24 win over Morehead State the Colonels ran a play that I had never seen before. Jordan Berry, the EKU punter, took the snap and kicked a rugby style kick to EKU gunner Trey Thomas. Since Thomas was behind the line of scrimmage he was allowed to advance the ball--which he did for a first down. My son is the long snapper and he says that they've practiced this over the two seasons that he's been there but never tried it in a game before last night. Pretty slick play, I'd like to see it on ESPN.

[video=youtube_share;-a23JuEeitY]

Should have been a penalty because he caught the kick beyond the line of scrimmage and the timing of this play maybe wasn't the best either IMO...

Should have been a penalty because he caught the kick beyond the line of scrimmage and the timing of this play maybe wasn't the best either IMO...

You are wrong on 2 counts. First, it WOULD NOT have been a penalty if he caught it past the line of scrimmage. The kicking team can catch a punt past the line of scrimmage any time--but the ball is dead and they do not get possession. Second, the ball was not caught past the line of scrimmage. Stop the film at the 11 second mark. The receiver jumps to catch the ball. When he first touches the ball he touches it inside of the 40 (the down marker is right on the 40). His momentum then carries him outside of the 40--but even then it looks like the ball is inside of the 40. Regardless, it doesn't matter where he lands, only where he first touches the ball. As for the timing of the play, well I really don't care if you and the Eagles got your feelings hurt. I didn't see your coach give up throwing the ball on every down. He was still trying to score, he shouldn't care if the Colonels do likewise. Besides, it wasn't done to try and run up the score. The Colonels are playing Eastern Illinois next week. EIU is favored to win the OVC and will be extremely tough to beat, especially at home. By running a couple of fakes in situations where it probably wouldn't have cost EKU the game if they failed they gave Eastern Illinois something to have to prepare for instead of going for the block or setting up returns.

Ball was snapped from inside the 40, that's where the center had the ball pre-snap. Receiver definitely lands past the LOS (Both feet on the 40) or at least the spot of the ball at the snap. That said, Joe you are 100% correct it does appear that he first touched the ball on or slightly behind where the ball was snapped.

Great Play and I'm guessing most teams/coaches aren't aware that is even legal.

Great Job Colonels!!!.

First, I had no idea a team could do this. Second, I'm not a big fan of the timing of the play but whatever.

It was an 18 point game with 5 minutes left. Realistically there still time for Morehead to make it a game. Especially had they stopped the fake punt.

Especially since MSU still had their offensive starters in the game and were throwing it every down. If they wanted EKU to back off they could have subbed and ran the ball.

Maybe, but I doubt it on a pass that short. I can think of no reason to pooch kick the ball versus passing it on that play.

Except that when the defense saw him kick the ball they didn't react to the receiver until it was too late...They didn't know what was going on either. If he'd have drawn back to throw they would have been after the receiver much quicker.

Also, as long as the ball was touched behind the line of scrimmage the receiver could still have picked it up and ran with it instead of it being an incomplete pass. Or, if he'd have over shot the receiver the ball would have went at least a little bit down field so MSU would not have gotten it at the original line of scrimmage. And, if he saw the receiver covered he had the option to kick it on a line downfield.