Mayfield 35 McCracken County 34

sweet16

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, outstanding game by 2 outstanding teams. The heat was a huge factor for both teams and McCracken's depth nearly pulled it out. Credit the Cardinals for coming up with huge defensive plays time and time again when McCracken was driving and the Cards absolutely gassed. Very hard hitting, physical game. Both teams had there big plays and pressured the others D thruout, The Mustangs need to find a kicker for sure as its cost them 2 games already. You'd think with over 1000 boys in the school, they could find somebody who can consistently kick an extra point, at least.

Nice win.

But. We need to tackle better. I know it was very hot and most of our guys go both ways but we need to wrap up better.

Both teams gave their all and MC never gave up . Mc is loaded with athletes. Mayfield can get better and I expect them too. Mc will get better too.

Wow...if the Mustangs had any kicking game at all, we'd be talking about a brand new school unbeaten against two outstanding programs on the Jackson Purchase! Even better if they had those four players who transfered to Tilghman...!!:eek: Very interesting season out west already!!

Wow...if the Mustangs had any kicking game at all, we'd be talking about a brand new school unbeaten against two outstanding programs on the Jackson Purchase! Even better if they had those four players who transfered to Tilghman...!!:eek: Very interesting season out west already!!

I will say MC is not your usual brand new school.

Mayfield controlled the game very well early on both sides of the ball and always had a answer for anything McCracken did but the Cards let McCracken hang around due to 2 huge fumbles McCracken recovered including one right before the half in the redzone. A tip 2 point conversion also was huge in keeping McCracken in the game. The second half was a much more even contest with neither defense able to stop the other teams offense. The tide began to slowly turn in the direction of McCracken County in the 4th quarter and the reasons were obvious, the Cards were gassed from the incredibly hot night and due to the McCracken offense that kept them on the field a lot. McCracken did not have as many going both ways and it showed. Time and time again in the 4th Mayfield continued to bend but not break but with 1:37 to go in the game McCracken scores and elects to go for 2 and the win. It was a gutsy call but the right call given how gassed the Cards were and McCracken new it but the 2 point conversion failed so its time for the onside kick and McCracken is successful and has the ball around the Cards 44 yard line with no timeouts. McCracken drives to the Cards 15 yard line and have about 30 seconds so they spike the ball and decide to try one more play but Mayfield holds strong and the clock is still running so McCracken tries to run its FG team on but there is confusion and it the clock is running. In the confusion McCracken get a 5 yard penalty backing the ball out side the 20 yard line but it buys the FG time to get it together and they run onto the field and get it off with less than a second to go but its short and Mayfield wins it. McCracken was without 2 starting linemen tonight and the Cards had 1 starting linemen out and it hurt depth wise for both teams though Mayfield suffered more due to getting gassed almost across the board. Without a doubt McCracken is the best 0-2 team in the state and likely a 8-10 spot team in 6A. Look for McCracken County to finish strong.

Mayfield's offense is very, very good, the only weakness is that there is no break away back, Mills is a bull in the China shop for about 5 yards but is not a break away type back. On defense the Cards have work to do but all looks fixable. Mayfield likely will not see this good of a team the rest of the way.

^^^^^^

The last sentence. You face a PT team that beat McCracken by 1.

They will be tough but I like how we match up with them better. I like my chances with the Tornado, this was the one I was worried about. Next Saturday I may be singing a different story though.

If Mayfield gets the score before half and adds the 7 to start the 3rd qtr, this game likely doesn't come to the very end. Would have been 42 to 21 at that point. Kids for Mayfield were passing out walking off the field... fans in the stands passing out too... puking from both teams... cramping almost every play. Give it up for these kids, they gave it everything until the clock hit zero. Highlights are already up at wpsdlocal6.com/sports