Way Back When: (1993) Mayfield 13 Prestonsburg 12

gchs_uk9

Our newest installment of Way Back When takes up back to the 1993 Class AA state championship game. Prestonsburg had just defeated two-time defending champion Danville in the semifinals while Mayfield, back-to-back victims of Danville in 1991 and 1992, roared back to Louisville set to pick up their first title since 1986. Who remembers this classic? What can you tell us about it?

Probably the most painful game in Pburg History. This was the best Pburg team of all time and they went the previous week and did the impossible knocking off a ridiculous Danville team. Blackcats fans will tell you they simply laid an egg in the Finals and were the best team in the State.

I remember Belfry opened the season with Danville and were destroyed in the Pike County Bowl, something like 53-14. Danville was talented and FAST. Belfry's QB broke an option keeper on the first play of the game and he got chased down from behind by Danville's DT. I knew right then it was going to be a long night.

After that game, I followed Danville and thought everybody else was playing for 2nd place in 2A that season. I was shocked when Prestonsburg beat them in the semifinals.

The Championship game with Mayfield was a great game and it looked like Prestonsburg was going to pull it off. Bill Letton was coaching the Blackcats at the time and had them peaking at the right time. If I remember correctly, there was a questionable holding call late in the game that made a difference in this one. Somebody from Prestonsburg could shed more light on it.

I remember Belfry opened the season with Danville and were destroyed in the Pike County Bowl, something like 53-14. Danville was talented and FAST. Belfry's QB broke an option keeper on the first play of the game and he got chased down from behind by Danville's DT. I knew right then it was going to be a long night.

After that game, I followed Danville and thought everybody else was playing for 2nd place in 2A that season. I was shocked when Prestonsburg beat them in the semifinals.

The Championship game with Mayfield was a great game and it looked like Prestonsburg was going to pull it off. Bill Letton was coaching the Blackcats at the time and had them peaking at the right time. If I remember correctly, there was a questionable holding call late in the game that made a difference in this one. Somebody from Prestonsburg could shed more light on it.

Tusi,

2 Things:

1. I remember going to the PCB that year and being in shock with how big and fast Danville was. I still remember the sound of the air horns and cowbells of the Danville fans every time they broke a long run.. and it seemed they did it every other play each time they ran a sweep and went untouched down the sideline. Most Belfry fans will always remember that game is arguably the single greatest domination of a Belfry team all-time.That also marked a bit of a transition in the Belfry program as the Pirates had been very strong in the late 80's and early 90's... the mid 90's were sort of the "Down Years" of the Pirate program . Belfry went a disappointing 4-7 that season and 6-6 the next year.. as the talent pool suffered a bit of a dip. Meanwhile Danville was at the peak of their empire and when Pburg knocked them off it was regarded as one of the biggest surprises ever.

2. On that note though... I vaguely seem to remember that Belfry went to Pburg that season and almost defeated the Blackcats, I seem to recall a low scoring game like 10-7 or 14-10. If I am not mistaken it was a super close game and may very well have played a role in the outcome of the Danville game as the Ads may have been caught underestimating Pburg a little from that score. Am I correct in that memory?

2. On that note though... I vaguely seem to remember that Belfry went to Pburg that season and almost defeated the Blackcats, I seem to recall a low scoring game like 10-7 or 14-10. If I am not mistaken it was a super close game and may very well have played a role in the outcome of the Danville game as the Ads may have been caught underestimating Pburg a little from that score. Am I correct in that memory?

Also, keep in mind that Danville had went to Prestonsburg for the semifinals in 1992 and won 37-6. It was almost a guarantee around central Kentucky and most of the state that Danville would win their third straight championship. (In fact they would win it all in 1994). I didn't go to the game but remember watching the highlights on TV and basically going to bed shocked that it happened.

Not only do I recall this game but I recall it as if it was yesterday! Reason being, we just watched a replay of this very game and you all can to thanks to the wonderful website that is Mayfield Cardinals Football. It it has the videos to all things that are Mayfield Football downloaded for all the ages to see and believe it or not, the founder is a glorious member of this site though he likes to keep a low profile. Anytime any of you want to watch a replay just go to Mayfieldcardinals.net and go to the media center and just select the year and game its that easy. Very popular with all but Bw fans currently. That said.....

93 was a surprise for Mf who charged into that game as a underdog just as they had every big game all season due to it being dubbed as a reloading year. It was Coach Paul Leahy's first year as coach after having served as an assistant coach at Mf for 20 sum odd years. At the time I was there after having just graduated from UK and ran into a group of Pburg friends and told them that I was just proud of this team for making it this far. Apparently everyone but the Cards players felt the same. Mf's super sophomore Cephus Tyler was a man-child and just .....well watch the video and make your own call on Tyler but he was the difference. I woulf to this day hate to meet him in any alley

It was a strange year for the Cardinals. After 25+ years of Jack Morris, longtime asst coach, Paul Leahy, took over the reigns for the Cardinals. The season started very poorly as Mayfield lost its 1st 3 games of the year to Webster Co, Fulton Co and crosstown rival Graves Co, who was fielding a varsity team for the 1st time since consolidation. Needless to say, Leahy was getting a lot of grief from the fanbase and expectations weren't too high from that point. From that point on, however, Mayfield went on a role and ran the table, getting better and better every week, peaking at playoff time.

I personally didn't get to Louisville that year for the championship, but, I vividly recall my dad coming home after the game and saying we were very fortunate to come away with the win and he praised the P'Burg team to no end.

It was a strange year for the Cardinals. After 25+ years of Jack Morris, longtime asst coach, Paul Leahy, took over the reigns for the Cardinals. The season started very poorly as Mayfield lost its 1st 3 games of the year to Webster Co, Fulton Co and crosstown rival Graves Co, who was fielding a varsity team for the 1st time since consolidation. Needless to say, Leahy was getting a lot of grief from the fanbase and expectations weren't too high from that point. From that point on, however, Mayfield went on a role and ran the table, getting better and better every week, peaking at playoff time.

I personally didn't get to Louisville that year for the championship, but, I vividly recall my dad coming home after the game and saying we were very fortunate to come away with the win and he praised the P'Burg team to no end.

I don't think we lost to Webster County, Fulton County had the biggest backfield that I've ever seen and we played down in Hickman where Mosquito's are as big as robins.

Pburgh had some help in that game against Danville because of the rain and mud, it was a mighty upset. Mayfield got some help in that game against Pburgh when they fumbled a snap on a punt near the goal line. There was a call against Pburgh late in the game.

I've always said this was Mayfield's most unlikey state title. But I have always thought that they should have beaten Danville a few times in those epic state title games.

Was this the game where the qb hears the horn and throws the ball into the air at the end of the game even though the play was still live?

The game you speak of was the 94 1A game between Beechwood and Murray, had that been between Beechwood and Mayfield that year it would have never been close, Mayfield would have won big. This was a 2A title game

Fulton County had the biggest backfield that I've ever seen and we played down in Hickman where Mosquito's are as big as robins.

That Fulton County team was terrific. They won their Class A region and lost to Bardstown, 7-0, in the state semifinals.

Probably the most painful game in Pburg History. This was the best Pburg team of all time and they went the previous week and did the impossible knocking off a ridiculous Danville team. Blackcats fans will tell you they simply laid an egg in the Finals and were the best team in the State.

If memory serves the Admiral Stadium field was a messy one and limited the same display of speed that the Belfry Pirates had seen. P'burg deserves the credit and earned the win, no doubt. But a one point game in OT (?) always leaves room for the "coulda, woulda, shoulda."

Most Admiral fans will tell you that out of all the teams in the Duffy-Harp era - this was the best team, hands down. They just didn't win the title. If not for that one point win it is possible that Danville would have won 59 games in a row in those four years and four straight titles.

I don't think we lost to Webster County, Fulton County had the biggest backfield that I've ever seen and we played down in Hickman where Mosquito's are as big as robins.

Those were ducks

Those Fulton boys all went on to play college ball at Murray and a couple of them had big careers for MSU

As for Pburg, all my buddies from there to this day say it was the one that they let slip away. They were better for much of the day but could never finish or put us away and in the end speed killed that day. Like Snake, I think we were extremely lucky to have won but we were due. We lost a couple mail bitters to Danville that we should of or could of won. I always have felt that when you get to the title game you have to be good and have a little luck because that team on the other side has to be good too if they are there