Boyle County - Top All-Time 3 Players

From Hatz:

I like that approach. So here's a quick thought for Boyle County:

60's: Donnie Coffman, Jay Reynolds, Ed Sleet (Had to go on what I've been told through the years)

70's: Kyle Lorton, Mark Overstreet, Mike Edminston

80's: Mike Harmon, Andy Baker, Tommy Pettit (Rebel just missed the list :lol2:)

90's: Neal Brown, Brian Johnson, Bobby Leffew

00's: Travis Leffew, Jacob Tamme, Brandon Smith, Rees MacShara (Couldn't leave out Brandon or Rees)

10's: Lamar Dawson, Zach Hester, Chris Cook

Make the tough choices and get it down to three for us.

Man you're tough. :irked:

Okay. I will be crucified because these are all fairly modern picks and close to each other but I have to go with what I saw and/or 3 players that showed it on the BCHS Field and later.

Lamar Dawson. (Mr. Football. Lost 1 game in his three years and led the defense to 2 state titles)

Travis Leffew. (2 time State Champion and dominated the line on both sides for what I still believe is the best Boyle Team.)

Jacob Tamme. (4 state titles in 4 years. A man amongst boys from his Receiver Position. A very good DB back as well.)

If I have to pick 3, those are mine.

(Please note my other list for Honorable Mention) :thumb:

Since Hatz is the resident Boyle County historian and he picked 3 guys from the time I have been here then I feel fine with going......

Jeff Duggins-I never got to watch him play but by all accounts he is regarded as the best quarterback ever at Boyle County. He won Mr. Football his senior season and if I am not mistaken was undefeated as the quarterback at Boyle and also got the winning steak started. He has to be one of the top 3. His numbers are stupid.

Lamar Dawson-another Mr. Football. Had 33 tackles in one game. Stud as soon as he stepped on the field from day one. Easiest pick to make.

Rees Macshara-yeah, PP92's favorite football Rebel. Robbed of Mr. Football in 2009. Best running back ever at Boyle County. Carried Boyle County to the 2009 state title in the Bell County game AND the Lone Oak game. I'll never enjoy Boyle County football like I did when Rees Macshara was on the field. I'll call him Mr. Football when I see him until the day I die.

Bobby Leffew, Travis Leffew, Brandon Smith and Jacob Tamme can be in any top 3 list and I won't be mad or argue that they shouldn't be at all.

It breaks my heart to not put Brandon Smith on this list. I began watching Boyle when Brandon took over. I truly enjoyed watching him play and he's my second favorite football Rebel after Rees. As good as Brandon was a majority of people will say that Duggins was the better quarterback so I gave Duggins a top 3 spot over Smith. I'll need forget when Highlands finally defeated Boyle County without their illegal player(couldn't resist :D) and after the game Brandon was inconsolable and blamed himself for the loss on the news. I have never felt as bad for a kid as I did then. It wasn't his fault. Highlands was the better team but that was his character. He put that loss on him. I'll always love that kid. Well, he's a grown man now but you guys get the point.

Since Hatz is the resident Boyle County historian and he picked 3 guys from the time I have been here then I feel fine with going......

Jeff Duggins-I never got to watch him play but by all accounts he is regarded as the best quarterback ever at Boyle County. He won Mr. Football his senior season and if I am not mistaken was undefeated as the quarterback at Boyle and also got the winning steak started. He has to be one of the top 3. His numbers are stupid.

Lamar Dawson-another Mr. Football. Had 33 tackles in one game. Stud as soon as he stepped on the field from day one. Easiest pick to make.

Rees Macshara-yeah, PP92's favorite football Rebel. Robbed of Mr. Football in 2009. Best running back ever at Boyle County. Carried Boyle County to the 2009 state title in the Bell County game AND the Lone Oak game. I'll never enjoy Boyle County football like I did when Rees Macshara was on the field. I'll call him Mr. Football when I see him until the day I die.

Bobby Leffew, Travis Leffew, Brandon Smith and Jacob Tamme can be in any top 3 list and I won't be mad or argue that they shouldn't be at all.

It breaks my heart to not put Brandon Smith on this list. I began watching Boyle when Brandon took over. I truly enjoyed watching him play and he's my second favorite football Rebel after Rees. As good as Brandon was a majority of people will say that Duggins was the better quarterback so I gave Duggins a top 3 spot over Smith. I'll need forget when Highlands finally defeated Boyle County without their illegal player(couldn't resist :D) and after the game Brandon was inconsolable and blamed himself for the loss on the news. I have never felt as bad for a kid as I did then. It wasn't his fault. Highlands was the better team but that was his character. He put that loss on him. I'll always love that kid. Well, he's a grown man now but you guys get the point.

To be fair, Guru made me pick 3, and only 3. That's why Rees didn't make the cut for me.

Man you're tough. :irked:

Okay. I will be crucified because these are all fairly modern picks and close to each other but I have to go with what I saw and/or 3 players that showed it on the BCHS Field and later.

Lamar Dawson. (Mr. Football. Lost 1 game in his three years and led the defense to 2 state titles)

Travis Leffew. (2 time State Champion and dominated the line on both sides for what I still believe is the best Boyle Team.)

Jacob Tamme. (4 state titles in 4 years. A man amongst boys from his Receiver Position. A very good DB back as well.)

If I have to pick 3, those are mine.

(Please note my other list for Honorable Mention) :thumb:

Pretty good list Hatz!

I agree with Jacob Tamme, and Lamar Dawson. My 3rd. has to go to Jeff Duggins (99-01) to go 44-0 as a starting Quarterback and start the run of State Titles. I remember him taking a quarterback sneak for a 80 yard touchdown. The kid was a flat out winner! Could run, pass, and knock the snot out of you on D. Travis Leffew was a very good player along with his brother Bobby, Reese McShara, Matt Quinn, Brodie Overstreet, and Brandon Smith.

The talent Boyle County had come through their school system was unbelievable.

Pretty good list Hatz!

I agree with Jacob Tamme, and Lamar Dawson. My 3rd. has to go to Jeff Duggins (99-01) to go 44-0 as a starting Quarterback and start the run of State Titles. I remember him taking a quarterback sneak for a 80 yard touchdown. The kid was a flat out winner! Could run, pass, and knock the snot out of you on D. Travis Leffew was a very good player along with his brother Bobby, Reese McShara, Matt Quinn, Brodie Overstreet, and Brandon Smith.

The talent Boyle County had come through their school system was unbelievable.

It was a toss up betweent Bobby and Travis for that spot IMO. Your list above are all worthy of mention. I know Jeff Duggins should probably have been ahead of Brandon but it was toss up again for me. Both played with great talent but I think Duggins surrounding talent was greater than Brandon's.

What did you think of the lists broken down by decade?

I agree with Hatz on his picks. Picking the 3 best is impossible. I tried to narrow it down to 6. Jeff Duggins, Jacob Tamme, Lamar Dawson,Bobby Leffew, Travis Leffew and the best player no one has mentioned would be Matt Quinn. All the players are great in their own right. I hate to leave out some of the others that might have meant more to their team than anyone will realize. I will also say that it would be a real chore to even pick the best 10 players without leaving out someone that could belong to the group.

It was a toss up betweent Bobby and Travis for that spot IMO. Your list above are all worthy of mention. I know Jeff Duggins should probably have been ahead of Brandon but it was toss up again for me. Both played with great talent but I think Duggins surrounding talent was greater than Brandon's.

What did you think of the lists broken down by decade?

Looks good to me Hatz. Charlie Mayfield, Steve Wright and also Joey Harris have to be in contention. Us old timers have to stay together or we will be forgotten with all these youngsters now days.

Looks good to me Hatz. Charlie Mayfield, Steve Wright and also Joey Harris have to be in contention.

I thought of Charlie Mayfield.

Steve was a great kicker and good Defensive Tackle but I thought Kyle Lorton and Mark Overstreet were the best linemen of that 70's era. Joey was a great OG for those Rebel teams and I played that one year with him. Can't go wrong with Joey.

It's just a tough task. Chris Hilton was no college player but Boyle didn't have a better DL in the late 70's early 80's than Chris.

Of our era and until Chuck Smith who was better than whole career than Mike Edminston at LB or FB?

Tough to know where to pull the trigger.

• 6 years later...
And it's only going to get tougher after the current senior class moves on. So many great names just within the last twenty years.

Only player that belongs in the conversation is Reese Smith. None of the other seniors can compare to other players mentioned.

Jeff Duggins first and foremost, a lot of people tend to forget Jeff was an all state linebacker as well as the best high school QB that I’ve Seen play the game, Matt Quinn, no one wanted the ball anymore than Matt when the game was on the line he was a dominate all state RB and LB, Bobby Leffew, Bobby could dominate a game from both sides of the ball he was an absolute Monster in high school, and I have to add Jacob Tamme he was phenomenal on both sides of the ball. Reese Smith definitely belongs in this conversation.