KHSAA Tournament Update

Then there were 128. 271 Kentucky High School boys basketball teams began the road to Rupp with district tournaments played last week and we are now down to 128, 64 district champions and 64 district runners-up.

The region tournaments begin tomorrow opening with the 7th Region tipping off at Valley HS around 3:30pm. Barring any weather issues or other delays, they will end on Sunday, March 3 with the 9th Region championship game tipping off at Northern Kentucky around 6pm. Region Tournament sites, dates and scheduled date and time of championship game in bold.

1st Region - Murray State - Feb 25 & 26, March 1 and March 3 2pm

2nd Region - Hopkinsville HS - Feb 25 & 26, March 1 and March 2 7pm

3rd Region - Owensboro Sportscenter - Feb 25 & 26, March 1 and March 2 8pm

4th Region - Western Kentucky - Feb 25 & 26, March 1 and March 3 3pm

5th Region - Hart County HS - Feb 25 & 26, March 1 and March 2 7pm

6th Region - Valley HS - Feb 26 & 28, March 2 7pm

7th Region - Valley HS - Feb 25 & 27, March 2 2pm

8th Region - Henry County HS - Feb 25 & 26, March 1 and March 2 7pm

9th Region - Northern Kentucky - Feb 25 & 26, March 2 and March 3 6pm

10th Region - Mason County HS - Feb 25 & 26, March 1 and March 2 7:30pm

11th Region - Eastern Kentucky - Feb 25 & 26, March 1 and March 2 7:30pm

12th Region - Lincoln County HS - Feb 25 & 26, March 1 and March 2 7:30pm

13th Region - Harlan County HS - Feb 25 & 26, March 1 and March 2 7:30pm

14th Region - Letcher County Central HS - Feb 25 & 26, March 1 and March 2 7pm

15th Region - Eastern Kentucky Expo Center - Feb 25 & 26, March 1 and March 2 8pm

16th Region - Morehead State - Feb 26, 27 & 28, March 1 7pm

13 of the 16 teams who played at Rupp last year are participating in their region tournaments this year. At least 3 of the 16 will not be returning to Rupp in Apollo, Boone County, and Bowling Green.

For those who follow the smaller schools (like me), 12 of the 16 teams who participated in the Sweet 16 of the All "A" state tournament are still on the road to Rupp. The 4 teams eliminated from the KHSAA state tournament are Collegiate, Louisville Holy Cross, Model, and University Heights.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 Region Tournament games played yesterday. We are now down to 98 teams competing for 16 spots at Rupp next week. By my count 8 district runners-up won their games. Most notable of these are Newport over Dixie Heights in the 9th Region, Middlesboro over Corbin in the 13th, Wayne County over Pulaski County in the 12th, and Anderson County over Owen County in the 8th.

Montgomery County held a 26-19 halftime lead over Nicholas County and the Indians outscored their opponent 36-10 in the 3rd Qtr to take a commanding 62-29 lead going into the 4th en route to their win in the 10th Region. Defending State Champ Trinity held a football-like halftime score of 23-7 over Eastern on their way to their first round win in the 7th.

32 games on tap for tonight including all 4 games in the 6th Region and the 16th Region opens play with two games at Morehead tonight. The one game I would like to see tonight is the 6:30pm game at NKU featuring Newport Central Catholic and Holmes. I, unfortunately, cannot make it, so I will just have to listen on Tri State Internet Sports Radio - The Broadcast Leader for North Central & NKY HS Sports

Edited by statman

32 Region tournament games played yesterday. Every region has their final four except the 16th which plays their 2nd set of 2 quarterfinals tonight. 66 teams left for 16 spots at Rupp. By my count 11 district runners-up won their quarterfinal games. Most notable of these are Fairdale over Moore 74-73 in overtime in the 6th, South Oldham defeating Collins 85-82 in OT in the 8th, Holmes winning 55-50 against Newport Central Catholic in the 9th, Henry Clay needing 2 overtimes to defeat Dunbar 63-55, and both quarterfinal games in the 12th where last year's region champ Southwestern lost to Mercer County in overtime 56-54 and Somerset defeated Boyle County 51-50.

A slow night tonight as only 4 games are being played, the two 7th Region semifinals and the 2 remaining quarterfinals in the 16th. Would love to see Ballard vs Male and Trinity vs Central. Oh, well.

32 Region tournament games played yesterday. Every region has their final four except the 16th which plays their 2nd set of 2 quarterfinals tonight. 66 teams left for 16 spots at Rupp. By my count 11 district runners-up won their quarterfinal games. Most notable of these are Fairdale over Moore 74-73 in overtime in the 6th, South Oldham defeating Collins 85-82 in OT in the 8th, Holmes winning 55-50 against Newport Central Catholic in the 9th, Henry Clay needing 2 overtimes to defeat Dunbar 63-55, and both quarterfinal games in the 12th where last year's region champ Southwestern lost to Mercer County in overtime 56-54 and Somerset defeated Boyle County 51-50.

A slow night tonight as only 4 games are being played, the two 7th Region semifinals and the 2 remaining quarterfinals in the 16th. Would love to see Ballard vs Male and Trinity vs Central. Oh, well.

Love your info. Look forward to the next round.

4 games played last night (slow night as I already mentioned). The 7th Region finals are set for 2pm on Saturday at Valley HS. Defending state champ Trinity will take on Ballard for one of the 16 spots at Rupp. The last two 16th Region Quarterfinals were played won by one district champ (Russell) and one district runner-up (Rowan County).

4 more games tonight - 2 6th Region semifinal games and 2 16th Region semifinal games. Geez!! Another slow night. Things will definitely pick up again on the 1st of March though with 25 games on the tournament schedule.

There may have only been 4 games last night, but four pretty good ones with a little drama. The 6th Region final is set for Saturday 7pm at Valley HS. Butler (the high school) will take on Pleasure Ridge Park. In the semifinals, two high powered offenses squared off as Pleasure Ridge Park defeated defending region champ Bullitt East 40-33 and the halftime score was PRP 16-8...WOW!! I would have never thunk it. Butler defeated Fairdale 70-64 in the other semifinal. The 16th Region Final is set for tonight 7pm at Morehead State. Fleming County prevented a last year's region final rematch by defeating Ashland Blazer 81-72 in double overtime. This year's region championship will be a 61st District Championship rematch as Fleming will take on the defending region champ Rowan County who defeated Russell 53-50.

25 games on tap tonight including the aforementioned 16th Region final. The other 24 games are region semifinals from the 1st through 5th Regions, the 8th, and 10th through 15th. Now this is what I like, lots of high school tournament action. Good luck to all competitors tonight.

There may have only been 4 games last night, but four pretty good ones with a little drama. The 6th Region final is set for Saturday 7pm at Valley HS. Butler (the high school) will take on Pleasure Ridge Park. In the semifinals, two high powered offenses squared off as Pleasure Ridge Park defeated defending region champ Bullitt East 40-33 and the halftime score was PRP 16-8...WOW!! I would have never thunk it. Butler defeated Fairdale 70-64 in the other semifinal. The 16th Region Final is set for tonight 7pm at Morehead State. Fleming County prevented a last year's region final rematch by defeating Ashland Blazer 81-72 in double overtime. This year's region championship will be a 61st District Championship rematch as Fleming will take on the defending region champ Rowan County who defeated Russell 53-50.

25 games on tap tonight including the aforementioned 16th Region final. The other 24 games are region semifinals from the 1st through 5th Regions, the 8th, and 10th through 15th. Now this is what I like, lots of high school tournament action. Good luck to all competitors tonight.

I believe that Fleming Co has already defeated Rowan 3 times this year. Hard to beat a team 4 times, we will see.

Here is some interesting info I found in the LH:

■ Friday night's 11th Region boys' semifinals in EKU's McBrayer Arena have a blockbuster final four: Lexington Catholic vs. Scott County, and Henry Clay vs. Madison Central.

This will be the sixth time in eight years Lexington Catholic and Scott County have met in the region. The Knights prevailed in the 2008 semifinals, 2009 finals and 2011 first round.

Scott County came out on top in the 2006 and 2007 semifinals. Henry Clay and Madison Central have played each other in the regular season for at least 20 years, but this will be their first regional meeting since 1989 when Madison Central upset the Blue Devils 71-69.

■ Russell County's Tyler Robertson had 30 points in a win over Greenwood in the first round of the 4th Region, increasing his career total to 2,055.

The 6-foot-2 senior guard, who's also a standout in baseball, had a season-high 36 points in the Lakers' upset of Madison Central on Feb. 9 in a game matching coaching brothers, Willie Feldhaus of Russell County and Allen Feldhaus Jr. of Madison Central. Robertson, who's played varsity since he was an eighth-grader, has averaged 21 points over the past two seasons.

The player of the year in the 4th Region is hoping to help Russell County reach the Sweet Sixteen for the second time in school history.

The Lakers made it in 1957, led by co-Mr. Basketball Ralph Richardson, who's believed to hold the school scoring record with more than 2,200 points.

■ Mercer County's boys pulled off the most surprising two-week turnaround.

After losing to defending 12th Region champ Southwestern 84-57 in a Valentine's Day massacre, Mercer County shocked the Warriors by beating them 56-54 in overtime in the 12th Region opener on Tuesday.

Blake Pennington's two free throws with 1 second left in regulation forced overtime. Pennington had 16 points and Will Hager had 17 to lead Brian Britt's Titans. They play Somerset in the semifinals Friday.

■ Collins' boys rallied from 21 points down in the fourth quarter and forced overtime before losing to South Oldham 85-82 in the 8th Region.

Buddy Johnson fueled Collins' furious comeback, which began when it trailed 60-39 and ended with Johnson's basket at the end of regulation that tied it 70-70.

Johnson finished with 34 points, including nine three-pointers. Matthew Haysley's 27 points paced South Oldham.

■ Covington Catholic's Nick Ruthsatz hit a half-court shot to beat Holmes 73-72 in the district finals.

CovCath Coach Scott Ruthsatz said his first reaction was, "We won!" Then he took pride in his son's heroics. Nick also hit a half-court shot last season to force a third overtime in what turned out to be a 100-94 four-overtime loss to Pendleton County.

CovCath, looking for its first region title since 2006, plays Newport in the 9th semifinals on Saturday.

Read more here: High school notebook: Madison Southern player enjoys 'amazing' end to improbable career | Mike Fields' Notebook | Kentucky.com

What a great time of the year.

I posted this link in another thread, but it is very interesting on scores/coaches of all the previous boys postseason games 2. Basketball tournament scores, records and lists for districts, regions and state

And, theres still a chance that 4 teams from Kenton county will be playing in 3 different region finals (CovCath,Holmes,SimonKenton,Scott)

I believe that Fleming Co has already defeated Rowan 3 times this year. Hard to beat a team 4 times, we will see.

Four times, actually. Fleming beat Rowan in the EKC Tournament early in the year, twice during the regular season, and then once for the district title. Can they win five times in one year?

Four times, actually. Fleming beat Rowan in the EKC Tournament early in the year, twice during the regular season, and then once for the district title. Can they win five times in one year?

Wow, thanks for the correction. Makes the win even harder to get IMO.

What a great time of the year.

I posted this link in another thread, but it is very interesting on scores/coaches of all the previous boys postseason games 2. Basketball tournament scores, records and lists for districts, regions and state

And, theres still a chance that 4 teams from Kenton county will be playing in 3 different region finals (CovCath,Holmes,SimonKenton,Scott)[/

Interesting note. Is there any other county in the state this could happen with?

Interesting note. Is there any other county in the state this could happen with?

I don't believe so. The only other counties with schools in multiple regions are Jefferson, Boone, and Campbell. With Bullitt East losing, Jefferson will have two representatives. Campbell lost their best chance when Newport Catholic lost (could have went along with Brossart). Boone could only do it if Walton were to win the 8th, which obviously didn't happen.

And this is one of the reason that I look for all the Boone or all of the Campbell HS to leave the Ninth and either go into the 10th or 8th and all the Kenton County Schools to be in the Ninth.

Just think if 5 Regional Champions come from two Counties. 6th and 7th Jefferson and 8th, 9th and 10th come from Kenton County, I can hear the crying and screaming already from the rest of the Commonwealth!

Edited by Theoldguy