Mayfield QB David Fowler 1968-1971

Rebels55

My father, David Fowler, passed away this morning at Baptist East Hospital in Louisville, Ky. He played quarterback for Mayfield and Coach Jack Morris for four years. He suffered a knee injury his senior year in high schoo, but still ended up playing quarterback at Memphis State before eventually playing with the L.A. Rams. He still holds many Mayfield records and even a few at Memphis, even without the field being as wide-open for offense as it is today.

My dad was always very modest about his accomplishments on the field and as a youngster, I didn't know the right questions to ask. If anybody has any stories they could share about him, my family and I would appreciate it greatly. He loved the game. My dad was diagnosed with dementia a few years ago, but right up until the end, he could talk about Mayfield and Memphis and how much he loved to compete. He was an amazing athlete and an amazing man. His devotion to his game and to the spirit of team were a part of his life. We, his family, were honored to be his last team. I have attempted to carry on his legacy both on and off the field. I will miss my dad greatly...

Adam Fowler

Owen County High School Football

My father, David Fowler, passed away this morning at Baptist East Hospital in Louisville, Ky. He played quarterback for Mayfield and Coach Jack Morris for four years. He suffered a knee injury his senior year in high schoo, but still ended up playing quarterback at Memphis State before eventually playing with the L.A. Rams. He still holds many Mayfield records and even a few at Memphis, even without the field being as wide-open for offense as it is today.

My dad was always very modest about his accomplishments on the field and as a youngster, I didn't know the right questions to ask. If anybody has any stories they could share about him, my family and I would appreciate it greatly. He loved the game. My dad was diagnosed with dementia a few years ago, but right up until the end, he could talk about Mayfield and Memphis and how much he loved to compete. He was an amazing athlete and an amazing man. His devotion to his game and to the spirit of team were a part of his life. We, his family, were honored to be his last team. I have attempted to carry on his legacy both on and off the field. I will miss my dad greatly...

Adam Fowler

I knew him, he grew up the street from me. He was a senior when I was in 6th grade. He was by far the best QB to come through MHS. I would even say he is one of the top 3 all time athletes to ever play at MHS. He was a great football, basketball, and baseball player. I was in Madisonville when one of our own players hit David on a tackle and tore his knee up.

Edited by snakesnot_2000

WOW; Coach Fowler, and I mean Coach Adam Fowler, I've gained even more respect for YOU after reading this than I already have after watching what you've done with an Owen County program with whom I struggled while in my tenure there. I never knew your dad though I knew that you had roots in the 'hated' Mayfield Cardinal with my high school coaching roots being grounded in Graves County football. I have seen in your teams and your players at Owen County, the virtues that your dad has instilled in you. You have players, administrators, parents and fans speaking of you in Owen County, the way you speak of your father here. Congratulations, Coach. I'm guessing you've made your father proud.

U

• 2 years later...

I just stumbled upon this! David Fowler was and is the greatest QB and arguably the greatest football player ever from Mayfield. I never knew his son was the coach at Owen Co. I hated to hear about David, a true Cardinal Legend

David is only 1 of 3 former Mayfield High School greats to have his jersey retired.. Joe Ford and Eddie Williams, being the other 2.. As good as David was in football, I truly thought baseball was his calling.. He was a terrific pitcher that threw in the low 90's and he was also a great defensive infielder and could hit.. Just an all around great athlete.. He was also a very good basketball player.. Had Jack Morris not been a 3 yard and a cloud of dust type coach and been willing to air it out during David's playing days, no telling what type numbers he would have put up..

Adam Fowler

Great post young man. Thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.