State championships

RCC9

I think this would be a great project and debate for the BGP historians and analytical guys. On another post, heck, on another sport thread...the question came up of how many state championships would HHS not be a part of if there were no classes in football all these years. The insinuation was that they would have very few and I'm guessing they were thinking that it would be dominated by the higher classes and have brought HHS back to reality.

My argument was that you have to go way back and look at all the championships, not just the recent ones. I agreed that it would absolutely have knocked the numbers down considerably, but it would be the same for every school, not just HHS. And I stated there were many years over history that HHS was considered the top team in the state, regardless of class.

So let's talk about it. Not just HHS, but all schools with multiple championships. If there were no classes, how many state championships would HHS have? Trinity? St X? BG? Cov Cath, NCC, Boyle, Mayfield, Simon Kenton, whoops, scratch that last one. You get my drift! I'm sure there are others.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this would be a great project and debate for the BGP historians and analytical guys. On another post, heck, on another sport thread...the question came up of how many state championships would HHS not be a part of if there were no classes in football all these years.

I thought about it, and the answer I came up with is "Who Cares?" :jump:

j/k kinda

I thought about it, and the answer I came up with is "Who Cares?" :jump:

Just thought is was a nice topic for the offseason football only guys. I'm not interested in debating it, but thought I'd throw these guys a cookie and sit and listen. I know, you think that would be hard to do for me not to stay out of it, but I'm not real sure about this one. It will really educate me if some of the guys on here really look into it. There are some very bright football guys on here...and no, not just with an HHS twist! Across the state!

I think this would be a great project and debate for the BGP historians and analytical guys. On another post, heck, on another sport thread...the question came up of how many state championships would HHS not be a part of if there were no classes in football all these years. The insinuation was that they would have very few and I'm guessing they were thinking that it would be dominated by the higher classes and have brought HHS back to reality.

My argument was that you have to go way back and look at all the championships, not just the recent ones. I agreed that it would absolutely have knocked the numbers down considerably, but it would be the same for every school, not just HHS. And I stated there were many years over history that HHS was considered the top team in the state, regardless of class.

So let's talk about it. Not just HHS, but all schools with multiple championships. If there were no classes, how many state championships would HHS have? Trinity? St X? BG? Cov Cath, NCC, Boyle, Mayfield, Simon Kenton, whoops, scratch that last one. You get my drift! I'm sure there are others.

Impossible to say, but I like to think that CovCath would have atleast a couple. I don't think a school like NewCath would have sniffed one. That's not a knock on the program, it's just a reality.

Just thought is was a nice topic for the offseason football only guys. I'm not interested in debating it, but thought I'd throw these guys a cookie and sit and listen. I know, you think that would be hard to do for me not to stay out of it, but I'm not real sure about this one. It will really educate me if some of the guys on here really look into it. There are some very bright football guys on here...and no, not just with an HHS twist! Across the state!

It's all good, just thought I'd stir the pot lol.

Well I'd say this past season would be 1 less championship for HHS because they would of lost to one of the following in the playoffs

Trinity

Bowling green

Cooper

Conner

:jump::ylsuper::banana::thumb:

Impossible to say, but I like to think that CovCath would have atleast a couple. I don't think a school like NewCath would have sniffed one. That's not a knock on the program, it's just a reality.

I can agree with that. I'd also add that even though I'm a Beechwood alum and they have a lot of state championships, if there were no classes they would be sitting with 0 also.

Interesting to consider, i would imagine there would be 3 less in the old trophy case. Considering Trinity has pretty well dominated the previous 3 big school state titles. Also, considering they have had their way with HHS in those 3 years preseason scrimmages. Would really like to see HHS and Trinity play in a regular season game.

I guess the best way to look at this would be to take each year's champions and compare them to one another. You could probably eliminate all (or nearly all) of the previous Class A champions. My guess is that it would almost always be the 4A champions from Louisville, with Highlands being able to win some, and them some occasional outliers. This seems like an interesting project - I might have to take a look.

I guess the best way to look at this would be to take each year's champions and compare them to one another. You could probably eliminate all (or nearly all) of the previous Class A champions. My guess is that it would almost always be the 4A champions from Louisville, with Highlands being able to win some, and them some occasional outliers. This seems like an interesting project - I might have to take a look.

The good thing is, no one can really challenge your outcome with facts!!! Just thought it would pass some time for the football guys!

Interesting to consider, i would imagine there would be 3 less in the old trophy case. Considering Trinity has pretty well dominated the previous 3 big school state titles. Also, considering they have had their way with HHS in those 3 years preseason scrimmages. Would really like to see HHS and Trinity play in a regular season game.

no doubt 3 less due to Trinity recently. They've been on another level recently, but have been beatable in past. I think that's what some forget because of their recent success. There is a good possibility that not just HHS, but others could have got them in the past too. Especially if you go way back.

The low hanging fruit on this one for a Highlands fan are the ones where we either beat the bigger school state champ or where we beat a school that beat the big school state champ. So I would think we would have a good shot in the following years:

2009: Highlands beat Cincy X and Cincy X beat 6A state champ Lou. St. X.

1999: HHS crushed Cov. Cath. Lou. St. X lost to Cov. Cath

1998: HHS beat eventual 4A state champ Male.

1982: HHS beat eventual 4A state champ Christian County

There are other years I think we would have done very well 2008, 2000, 1981, but these were the ones above were the first ones I thought of. I can't speak to any of the teams before 1980.