All A tournament

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a great thing and the other classes could do the same.

They do. It's called the KHSAA state tournament. All A consists of about half of all schools.you have to be in the smallest 200 or so schools in order to be invited.

The groundwork for the Kentucky All-A-Classic was formed in 1980 through the efforts of coaches like Stan Steidel of Dayton, Father Ed Heile of Covington Latin, Bill Frey of Covington Holy Cross and others. The inception of a small school basketball tournament began in January of 1980. The first Class "A" Tournament was held at Holy Cross High School in Latonia with eight teams. In 1981 it moved to Bellevue with ten teams, all from Northern Kentucky.

The 1982 to 1989 Classic went statewide by inviting six Class A schools from around the state to compete with the ten northern Kentucky schools. In 1990 the All "A" Classic experienced a dream come true: A statewide championship tournament with sixteen boys' regional tournament winners competing in Lexington in February. Then in 1991 the All "A" Classic expanded to include the field of 16 boys' regional winners and included four girls' sectional winners competing in the statewide finals. In 1992, the statewide tournament again expanded to include eight girls' teams and in 1993 included the full complement of 16 boys and 16 girls’ teams.

I believe it consist of the 125 smallest schools in the state.

The All A is an awesome opportunity and experience for kids that would otherwise never have a chance to play in a big arena venue in a state championship format. I for one, am very thankful for it.

I guess my question there is, aren't the ones that make it out of the A region usually contenders in their region too. Brossart, Walton, NCC, etc. So don't the A teams that typically get beat up still get beat up? Not taking anything away from the tournament. It has no bearing on me whatsoever, really just curious. With teams like the ones above, is it still an opportunity for the other schools or just the ones that already have great programs and compete in regionals anyway.

I guess my question there is, aren't the ones that make it out of the A region usually contenders in their region too. Brossart, Walton, NCC, etc. So don't the A teams that typically get beat up still get beat up? Not taking anything away from the tournament. It has no bearing on me whatsoever, really just curious. With teams like the ones above, is it still an opportunity for the other schools or just the ones that already have great programs and compete in regionals anyway.

Then I guess another follow-up question...what about the kids that go to schools that have 201+ students. What's their opportunity to play in an event like this. There are plenty of schools that a lot of these A programs beat to death! I guess I'm a believer in that KY is the way it is and we have 1 state champion at the end of the year or we go to classes. If you segment out one group of schools and say it's a great opportunity for them, why are there not opportunities for any school that doesn't win? I know the argument is that these 1A schools are handicapped by their enrollement. But so are a lot of schools...vs. the much larger schools. You still have a TON of smaller schools trying to compete against schools up to 6 or 7 times bigger. Take a 2A school with 201 kids and play Scott County or Trinity or any of the big Lousiville private schools.

I don't get the All A either. Imagine if someone started a tournament limited to schools with 500 students or more. They would get ripped every day, saying it's not fair to the small schools. Yet, the All A gets a pass in excluding the big schools. The All A is nothing more than a really long tournament. If you win it, great, you won a tournament. But more often than not, the champ is paraded around like they are "state champs", and often refered to as "state champs" as in "we won the All A State Championship" which is really misleading. Just say you won the All A Tournament. Why the KHSAA doesn't have classes in some sports is beyond me. Smoky back rooms filled with back-slapping good 'ole boys making deals with suitcases full of money is my guess why we don't.

The All A is a great tournament IMO. It gives the smaller schools a chance to compete in a regional and state tournament that they might not otherwise get a chance to do. The teams you mention, Brossart, Walton, NCC, while they are typically competitive year in and year out within their district and regional tournaments, many other small schools are not, and don't even make it to their regional tournament. This gives all the smaller schools an opportunity to play and compete in a regional tournament with the possibility of playing in a state tournament. How often have these three teams you mention actually won their over all regional tournament and got a chance to go to the Sweet 16 state tournament? I don't know, just asking the question.

There is nothing stopping the other schools from forming their own tournament. If you want a tourney of schools with over 500 enrollment or whatever, have at it! I think it's a great tournament myself. Hoping for an all Campbell County final for boys and girls on Sunday! Go Breds! Go Mustangs!