Ashland-Belfry series benefits both teams

LRCW

ASHLAND — Football coaches Leon Hart of Ashland and Philip Haywood of Belfry share a strong affinity for opponents that will make their teams better down the road.

That’s why the state-ranked Tomcats and Pirates are meeting for the fourth consecutive year, a series that Hart says Ashland wants to extend after the contract expires this season.

“I think for both of us it’s a great non-district game,” Hart said. “All of it is working to get you better for the playoffs, and tough teams in your district.”

Haywood agreed.

“We’ve had some real competitive games,” Haywood said. “They’ve been close. I think fans have always gotten their money’s worth.”

Friday night at Putnam Stadium shapes up as another in a line of tight, physical battles.

Ashland, 6-1 and No. 6 in the Class 4A rankings, relies on its strong offensive and defensive fronts to set the table. Belfry, 5-1 and ranked fourth in 3A, has a tradition of winning the line of scrimmage.

“I don’t ever remember playing Belfry that it wasn’t a physical game,” Hart said. “Year in and year out, they are good ball games.”

Belfry won the 2011 matchup 7-6 after the Tomcats came out on top the two previous years.

Overall, Hart feels fortunate to hold a career 3-1 advantage against the Pirates, including a 28-27 overtime victory in 2006.

Ashland-Belfry series benefits both teams » Local Sports » Daily Independent (Ashland, KY)

Not trying to steal the thread but this is the reason I am sad that Russell has dropped us from their schedule. I hope they change their minds about dropping Ironton after next year. Raceland schedules the Ashlands, Irontons and Russells out there to improve our overall play in the playoff run. I am happy to see that Ashland does the same thing.

Nice article. This is a good game for both schools and has been competitive. The last 4 meetings have been very close. Belfry won last year 7-6, Ashland won the 3 previous times by scores of 36-22, 22-20, and 28-27 OT. It really can't get much closer than that. Last season I thought these two teams were about as evenly matched as two teams could be. I hope we can keep this series going for many years to come. The rumor a couple of months ago was that the series was going to end, but then shortly thereafter I have been hearing it has already been renewed for at least the next 2 years, thankfully.

I have to agree with Hart and Haywood, it's a good game for both teams heading into the district and playoff games. Playing a weak out of district schedule will not prepare you for the strong competition you will see rounds 3-5 of the playoffs.