Should ex felons be allowed to vote?

Ky. And several other states deny ex felons the right to vote unless a pardon is granted. They are claiming it is unfair because they have done their time and now have been contributing back to society. I say you knew the rules prior to committing your felony. That was your chance. 7.35% of residents of voting age are banned from casting ballots. Nearly 25% of black residents are banned.

I'm not sure if I'm more shocked by these felons wanting their privilege that they lost back or by the huge % that are current or past felons.

I see both sides. I am okay with ex-felons not being allowed to vote. I also am not opposed to allowing them to vote.

I think maybe upon their release they are put on a 5 year probationary period and if they are still a free and contributing member to society then and only then can they earn their right to vote again. I think that would be fair.

I believe that if a felon has served their sentence and done what they were required to do if more was required, that after a period (hypothetically 5 years) in which they've proven themselves to be productive members of society, their right to vote should be restored.

If it is that important to have the right to vote then don't commit the felony.

The people who commit felonies obviously don't have the maturity to not commit the crime in the first place. Voting rights are far from their mind. If a felon can rehabilitate their behavior after serving their debt to society and then complete a probationary period knowing their voting rights can be restored after proving to be a productive member of society after that period is over seems reasonable.

I think it should go by the length of the sentence. Not years served. If you were sentenced to 20 and you get parolled at 12 you have 8 years to stay out of jail and prove yourself.

Life sentence you're done.

Multiple felonies your done.

I would put a 5 year minimum from release.

I believe that if a felon has served their sentence and done what they were required to do if more was required, that after a period (hypothetically 5 years) in which they've proven themselves to be productive members of society, their right to vote should be restored.

Word

I'm sure most felons could care less about voting anyway.
You are right most of the felons and perpetrators of misdemeanors that I come in contact with could care less about an election, unless someone was giving them something for voting.

The people who commit felonies obviously don't have the maturity to not commit the crime in the first place. Voting rights are far from their mind. If a felon can rehabilitate their behavior after serving their debt to society and then complete a probationary period knowing their voting rights can be restored after proving to be a productive member of society after that period is over seems reasonable.

Maturity? Hmmm. I'll have to think about that comment. I guess after a few years in the slammer you grow up?

As mentioned a pardon would allow voters rights back anyway.

Maturity? Hmmm. I'll have to think about that comment. I guess after a few years in the slammer you grow up?

As mentioned a pardon would allow voters rights back anyway.

I'm speaking on a majority and not the few lucky that are able to be pardoned.

Keep in mind that I said they need to be on a probationary period of 5 years AFTER they are released from prison. I think that takes care of the 'few years in the slammer and you grow up' statement you made. :D