LLoyd High School 1976 State Champions Lost A Great Fried Today

Greatest Game I ever saw in 1976 at Lloyd High School was in 1976 against NewCath about 2 min and 15 seconds to go NewCath had the lead. Lloyd droved down the field and scored and won the game. Whoever won would eventually be the State Champs. Anyone at the game would witness a great come back by Lloyd A young man by the name of Doug Burkemeier (sp) caught a pass in the end zone to win for Lloyd. He passed away today with ALS and we will miss him very much. A great young man and a great football player. The Erlanger Community wishes his family and friends the best. Doug you will always be remembered for your courage and fight with this decease. I Love you and will miss you. May God Bless you and your family. JD

Very sorry to hear of Doug's passing. I didn't know Doug but went to college with another stud player on the '76 Lloyd team, David Bubb. Great player and a great guy. Lloyd had excellent teams in the mid 70's. I remember Lloyd knocking Cov. Cath. out of the playoffs in '75 in comeback fashion as well. An A+ run for the Juggs. Thoughts and prayers for Doug's family and friends.

Yes Red Dog was the head coach of that team and was surrounded by Mike Burns, Rudi Tassini, Richard Wilmhoff, Rusty Kordenbrock and several others. I also apologize to everyone for the spelling of Doug's last name I probably butchered it. JD

Yes Red Dog was the head coach of that team and was surrounded by Mike Burns, Rudi Tassini, Richard Wilmhoff, Rusty Kordenbrock and several others. I also apologize to everyone for the spelling of Doug's last name I probably butchered it. JD

Burns is another outstanding coach from what I have heard. He had a stint at Highlands I believe.

I was at that game as a 9 year old as well as every Lloyd game that season including the 24-0 beatdown of Shelby Co. in the final at Commonwealth.

If I remember that was a bomb down the middle where the New Cath db jumped to deflect the ball, missed and fell down. Doug hauled it in and jogged into the endzone. That is what I remember as a 9 year old. I was standing at the fence right across from that endzone.

What a great team. I remember Lockard and Ashley...I think they were the running backs. I think their defense was pretty nasty too. This was probably the team that forged my love for high school football.

Go Juggs!!!!

My condolences JD and to the Burkemeier family.

A loss of one fallen comrade in the "football family" is something that is felt throughout the program and across many generations. Many prayers with the Burkemeier family and the Lloyd football program.

Sorry to hear about that. ALS is a horrific illness. The last few years, I'm sure, have been very hard on that family. May they find peace.

Growing up in a NewCath family, every NewCath football fan knows about that game. Growing up as the nephew of the starting QB and safety on that NewCath team, I've heard about that game every summer Sunday for the last 30+ years. would have loved to have seen it.