Church Attendance and The Super Bowl

There was a report on the local news that said church attendance is lower than usual on Super Bowl Sunday and how Crossroads Church in Cincinnati turned their service into a football-themed service.

Am I the only one that wonders how low attendance and the Super Bowl are related?

There was a report on the local news that said church attendance is lower than usual on Super Bowl Sunday and how Crossroads Church in Cincinnati turned their service into a football-themed service.

Am I the only one that wonders how low attendance and the Super Bowl are related?

Yeah... even on the West Coast the game didn't start until 3:30. I don't get that either.

I can't speak for the others that missed church but I go to church semi regularly but every Super Bowl weekend my best friends from college get together for the weekend so I wasn't there yesterday. I also have many other church going friends who were away from their homes/churches this weekend for the Super Bowl also.

What is a football-themed service? Can the congregation yell as loud as need be to distract the preacher? Three timeouts per half? Hopefully no high ankle sprains to worry about.

• 1 month later...
What is a football-themed service? Can the congregation yell as loud as need be to distract the preacher? Three timeouts per half? Hopefully no high ankle sprains to worry about.

Here's a sample from last year. Part of the rules are that the preachers have to incorporate a random phrase into their sermon. They are given the phrase just as they are starting so it has to be on-the-fly.

Here's a sample from last year. Part of the rules are that the preachers have to incorporate a random phrase into their sermon. They are given the phrase just as they are starting so it has to be on-the-fly.

Wow. That is unique. I guess being Catholic it is hard to imagine a huge deviation from what normally occurs during mass. Long snapping bread during communion does not take place. I did find it ironic both guys preaching were wearing a Vick and Big Ben jersey. The Big Ben jersey did not have his name.