Peanut Butter Allergies in School

Beechwoodfan

Tough situation. I can see both sides. The kid needs to be protected because peanut allergies are seriously bad news, but its bad that it has to effect the other kids at the school as well. I love peanut butter, I would hate to eat school chili without a peanut butter sandwich but I can live without it to protect a student. But, some little kids are picky. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches may be one of the only things a kid will eat. Hopefully, science will find a way to lessen the effects of peanut allergies so everyone wins.

Ultimately I think it is the schools right to protect every student. I think they are doing what they have to do & what they need to do. It's a crappy situation for everyone, but no school wants to put their kids in danger.

We had this situtation at GRC for 4 years...he graduated last year. The whole school was peanut free. Teachers, staff and students could not bring in any type of peanuts/peanut butter. I will never forget, right after holloween a student brought in candy that they had and it had two big reese cups it it. I had to take it away from them and send to the nurse. Student had forget they were in the bag. The nurse got rid of it. We really didn't have a big problem with it. We all knew he would be attending the high school from one of the middle schools and made the necessary arrangements complete with signs up that it was a peanut free school.

The protesters are going overboard! So, basically promoting good hygiene is a bad thing now? It's not like their kid has to go get a shot or anything like that, and even if that was the case, who cares? So the kids have to wash their mouths with water and use clorox wipes, BIG DEAL! The protesters solution is for the kid to stay home, away from school? GREAT! Nice way to treat a child! I have no issue going on an airplane and not having peanuts, I think everyone can live without peanuts or peanut products for a few hours per day. Good thing they don't have a Ryan White going to that school, no telling what they would do then.

As the report stated, these are federal guidelines!

I cannnot imagine how frightening it would be to have a child with such a life threatening allergy. I liked Gold sunrise's response. I guess a totally peanut free environment is possible.

On a side note, I have flown several times in the last few years and was surprised to find peanuts still being served (Delta Airlines). I thought that peanuts were not supposed to be served anymore because of this same issue.

I'm deathly allergic to cats. Perhaps we should outlaw felines.

Perhaps. Or people could take reasonable measures to prevent you from being subjected to cats.

Peanut allergies are a serious issue. It is difficult to understand the stress and anxiety that one endures when he (or she) gets on an airplane and the person next to them is eating peanuts.

Perhaps. Or people could take reasonable measures to prevent you from being subjected to cats.

Peanut allergies are a serious issue. It is difficult to understand the stress and anxiety that one endures when he (or she) gets on an airplane and the person next to them is eating peanuts.

My allergies to cats are a serious issue to me. But that doesn't give me the right to tell my friends to disinfect their house and send their cat away before I come over to visit.

My allergies to cats are a serious issue to me. But that doesn't give me the right to tell my friends to disinfect their house and send their cat away before I come over to visit.
If your issue is serious and life threatening, is there something you can take if you get near cats to help? Hope so! But, you do have the right to go to a public place and not have to worry about a reaction. If a kid who has peanut allergies goes to a friends house and tells them to disinfect their house and throw away all items that has peanuts before they arrive, that is the same example you gave, but they are not asking that.

If your issue is serious and life threatening, is there something you can take if you get near cats to help? Hope so! But, you do have the right to go to a public place and not have to worry about a reaction. If a kid who has peanut allergies goes to a friends house and tells them to disinfect their house and throw away all items that has peanuts before they arrive, that is the same example you gave, but they are not asking that.

Most folks allow their cats to run wild. They put them out to run willy-nilly throughout the neighborhoods, spreading their dander, hair, poo, musk and urine everywhere (yeah, I'm allergic to all those). How realistic is it to prevent that?

About as realistic as it is to whitewash peanuts from the world. Some of us just take our medicine and deal with it, rather than force everyone around us to change their ways.

Most folks allow their cats to run wild. They put them out to run willy-nilly throughout the neighborhoods, spreading their dander, hair, poo, musk and urine everywhere (yeah, I'm allergic to all those). How realistic is it to prevent that?

About as realistic as it is to whitewash peanuts from the world. Some of us just take our medicine and deal with it, rather than force everyone around us to change their ways.

Jim, if it makes you feel any better, my school doesn't allow cats, due to allergy issues, but we do allow peanut butter, even though we do have a kid that is allergic to it.

Jim, if it makes you feel any better, my school doesn't allow cats, due to allergy issues, but we do allow peanut butter, even though we do have a kid that is allergic to it.

Do they vacuum down every kid when they walk in the door? I kind of doubt the schools are telling little girls they can't cuddle with Mittens before hopping on the bus.

This is rough, I understand why they are doing it, but if it's taking over a half hour of classroom time from students who aren't allergic to peanut butter then the school needs to do something different. The kids not allergic have rights and their education shouldn't suffer just because they want a PB&J for lunch. What the solution is, I don't know. But obviously if they are losing a half hour to an hour of classroom time disinfecting the room then that's a problem too.