Will Rockcastle County be a factor again soon?

The Scribe

Rockcastle has had one of the best traditions around central Kentucky. However, it was Tom Larkey and Tony Saylor who brought that mind set to the Rockets. We all know the Larkey has left, and that Coach Saylor can only do so much. Rockcastle has basically the same type of players they had several years ago, but from the games I have seen the physicality just isn't there. These boys have forgotten the tradition of Rocket football, and some of that mind set falls on the coaches. I also have seen Rockcastle line up in in more spread over the last few years, which is not the style most are used to seeing from Rockcastle Co. Things have certainly changed in Mt. Vernon, but they can get back to their dominant ways, but major change will have to occur.

Sometimes being the guy who follows the legend is tough and that guy is afraid to put his mark on the program. He trys to keep things the same, when all he needs to do is tweak a thing or two and make it his own. I think Parkey is a good coach and the talant is there but he needs to stop trying to be Tom Larkey and just be the best coach Scott Parkey can be and then I thinnk you will see and improvement.

As a former player I can't imagine Coach Saylor not being on the sideline. Any former player in the last 20 years will tell you he was the spirit of Rock football. He was the best I ever saw at getting a defense in position from the sideline. Coach Saylor left the sideline for the press box and turned over the defensive play calling to younger coaches about 5 years ago. In my and several other former players opinion this was a huge blow to the defense. I know everyone has to slow down but it doesn't make it any easier to take. Good luck Rock !!