1975 Ashland Tomcats to play 1990 Ashland Tomcats

LRCW

MARK MAYNARD: Tomcats champions meet in fantasy world

Mark Maynard The Independent

ASHLAND — When Ashland captured the 1990 Class 3A state championship, there were immediate comparisons to the 1975 Class 4A state at-large champions.

They each finished 14-1.

They each were wishbone teams.

They each had a star running back named Thomas.

Those were just a few of the things that made you wonder: So what would happen if the ’90 Tomcats met the ’75 Tomcats?

It was fun to play out in your mind, argue about with friends and dream of what a game it may have been.

Well, my friends, dream becomes reality this week.

While the ’90 and ’75 Tomcats can’t suit it up on Friday — too many years have gone by for both sides— we do have a way for a fantasy battle to take place this week in Putnam Stadium.

http://dailyindependent.com/localsports/x87451207/MARK-MAYNARD-Tomcats-champions-meet-in-fantasy-world

I played against the 1990 team, they were very good, very big, very fast, and a quality team. But, I know some of the players that played on the 1975 team, they are much tougher individuals.

I'll go with the 1990 team in a game of football, but the 1975 team if a fight breaks out.

I played against the 1990 team, they were very good, very big, very fast, and a quality team. But, I know some of the players that played on the 1975 team, they are much tougher individuals.

I'll go with the 1990 team in a game of football, but the 1975 team if a fight breaks out.

Who was the stud running back on that '90 Ashland team? My cousin started at linebacker for Lincoln County and of course they fell to Ashland in the final. He described the Ashland running back as unlike anything he had ever seen!

Who was the stud running back on that '90 Ashland team? My cousin started at linebacker for Lincoln County and of course they fell to Ashland in the final. He described the Ashland running back as unlike anything he had ever seen!

Chris Hutt (Marshall), Juan Thomas (Arz St and 3A baseball stuck behind Frank Thomas,John Olraude and Edger Martinez) and Charles Johnson another huge talented back. They were loaded in the backfield!

ASHLAND — There is one link between Ashland’s 1975 and 1990 state championship football teams.

Say hello to Vic Marsh.

Marsh was a 26-year-old assistant for Herb Conley in 1975, trying to break into the coaching ranks of his alma mater. He was the freshman coach at Coles Junior High and one of three scouts along with Putnam Junior High coach John Tuttle and Bill Burch.

Instead of Friday night’s at Putnam Stadium, the scouts Fridays were spent on the road preparing for the following week.

Marsh, of course, would rise up the ranks and become Ashland’s head coach and eventually its winningest coach. His biggest moment? The Tomcats’ 1990 state championship team.

http://dailyindependent.com/localsports/x87452792/MARK-MAYNARD-Marsh-is-thread-between-teams

Who did the 1975 team lose to?

St. Xavier in the state championship game. Of course that was during that Jefferson County vs. State At-Large time period of AAAA, which is why many of the state schools claim a title, even though all six teams lost to Jefferson County teams in the end-of-year matchup.

Like stick said: Chris Hutt was a Junior and speedy. Charlie Johnson was full back and a bowling ball that would fall for four yards. And Mr. Everything Juan Thomas who was huge, powerful, and fast. If there was a truly perfect backfield I would say this one would be the prototype.

No question in my mind. The 1975 team wins this one in a shutout. Ill say 14-0. The defense was just too much. The 1990 Blazer team was very talented in the backfield, but they lost to Greenup and barely squeeked by Ironton whom had already lost a game prior to that. The 1975 team beat all area teams and they beat a very good Ironton team 14-0 in what I believe to be the hardest hitting game i ever watched. I have had the pleasure to watch the 1975 Ironton-Ashland game many times on film.

Both of these teams were very good, but my nod goes to 1975.

By the way, I loved it when the 1990 team went behind to Bell County i believe, and Dickey Martin gave up on them on radio....classic.