Daviess County penalized by the KHSAA

Irish Cat

You will need a subscirption to open the following link

DC Punishment

The Kentucky High School Athletic Association has levied penalties on the Daviess County High School football program for the use of an ineligible player during the 2009 season, the Messenger-Inquirer learned on Wednesday night.

Due to the KHSAA's decision, upheld on appeal:

* DCHS head coach Marcus Kimbrell must sit out the Panthers' 2010 season-opener on Aug. 27 against Bowling Green in the Independence Bank Border Bowl.

* The Panthers must forfeit three of four varsity victories (games the ineligible player participated in) during the 2009 season, as well as two junior varsity victories.

* DCHS must pay a $300 fine.

* DCHS principal Anthony W. Sparks must send a letter to each school the Panthers competed against in '09, stating that the school used an ineligible player.

In February, DCHS athletic director Doug Sandifer discovered that a member of the football team had been two-tenths of a credit shy of eligibility for the '09 season.

Two things that stand out to me. First, DCHS could have ignored what had happened in the fall of last year and simply gone on and KHSAA would have known nothing. But DCHS did the right thing, and I'm proud of them for that. So I think the penalty is a little stiff. Second, I was talking to someone last night and I wonder why DCHS only has about 50-60 kids out for football for a 6-A school? Hard to believe.