Best KY HS Football Rivalries

mcpapa

Football season is upon us (click clack).

This has no doubt been done before, but what are some of the really intense rivalries? Captain obvious says St. X/Trinity, CovCath/Highlands, for example; they quality as marquee matchups. What about some of the others?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Intense matchups" are really in the eye of the beholder, of course, and there are a million of these. Every school has an "intense rival", but some rivalries I've found to be top-tier, besides the two mentioned:

Male vs. Manual - the granddaddy of them all, in terms of longevity

Paducah Tilghman vs Mayfield - not sure it's what it used to be, but it used to be quite a long-standing rivalry

Oldham County vs. Shelby County - has been quite an intense game over the years, and in 1984 had an almost incredible storyline when Shelby (averaging 30+ ppg) was ranked #1 in state 4A, Oldham (giving up about 3 ppg with six shutouts) was ranked #2, both were 10-0, and the winner won the district and advanced to the playoffs while the other stayed home...

North Oldham vs. South Oldham - very young rivalry (only four games to date - split so far) and has yet to mean anything of any consequence other than bragging rights, as North is 3A and South 5A, but this has been a very emotional and heated rivalry that has been well-attended. Yet to be seen if it will stand the test of time, but with two backyard schools, the odds favor a long, animated rivalry.

Boyle County vs. Danville - This is a game that is almost always incredible, despite a decided school size advantage for Boyle. Schools are close together in the same county, and the fans rub elbows 12 months out of the year...Incredible history with incredible success stories on both sides.

Henry County vs. Eminence - Another (of many) rivalries that really means nothing outside the county. Henry and Eminence compete in different classes, and almost always Henry County has the advantage in this matchup - but Eminence usually manages to make this interesting, and has won more than their fair share over the years... schools are separated by just 5 miles.

An old one that was absolutely awesome, but has fallen by the wayside in recent years due to an inability to get the game scheduled:

Bell County vs. Middlesboro I once was in Bell County during the week of this game, which happened to be the week of the UK vs UofL football game. The local TV news devoted 5 minutes to UK-U of L, then spent nearly half an hour focusing on the Bell County - Middlesboro game. Awesome atmosphere.

I could write forever...everyone has their favorite rivalry...but these are some of the first that came to mind...

Boyle County vs. Danville. Despite the population size of the county the game still brings thousands of fans. In recent history Boyle County has dominated the series but it usually a back and forth rivalry. It's a very heated rivalry. Plus, Boyle County and Danville is known as Title Town.

I know we are talking Kentucky, but if you know nothing about the following rivaries go look them up.

Jenks vs. Union- Oklahoma

Mater Dei vs. Servite- California

Mt. Carmel vs. St. Rita- Chicago

Lowndes vs. Valdosta- Georgia

Boston Latin vs. English- Boston

Lee vs. Permian- Texas

Of course, Kentucky is blessed with two of the biggest rivalry games in the country- Male vs. Manual and X vs. T.

I know we are talking Kentucky, but if you know nothing about the following rivaries go look them up.

Jenks vs. Union- Oklahoma

Mater Dei vs. Servite- California

Mt. Carmel vs. St. Rita- Chicago

Lowndes vs. Valdosta- Georgia

Boston Latin vs. English- Boston

Lee vs. Permian- Texas

Of course, Kentucky is blessed with two of the biggest rivalry games in the country- Male vs. Manual and X vs. T.

I think you left a huge KY rivalry out in CovCath v. Highlands