Mayfield 2010

Ram

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mayfield will have a much stronger line than last year as they return all but 1 starter on both sides of the ball. They lose there best 2 playmakers in RB Tyreese Murrel and WR Xavier Shelton and those 2 will be hard to replace, but, they still have a stable of solid RBs in Noonan, Jackson and a couple of others... Higginson and Richardson will be the likely WR targets and should fill in nicely after Sheltons departure, although neither have his breakaway speed or big play ability... Guhy returns to run the show for the 3rd yr in a row and his experience at QB should have them in good shape there... On the defensive side of the ball, the DL, LBs and DBs should be very strong and I would think they'll rely more on this side of the ball moreso than last year where they could just outscore teams... Not sure about there kicking game, but, I believe they return there kicker/punter, who was pretty consistent last year...

Overall, I think this is a year Coach Morris feels like he can win it all and would be dissappointed with anything less... I think they'll be a little more ball control, run oriented than last year and be more of a field position team that'll make teams drive the ball down the field on them... They should still have good speed and athleticism with pretty good quality depth... I expect they'll dress 45-50 kids this year, which is good for a 1a team and from my understanding will have several quality freshmen and sophs that'll get immediate playing time, although they'll most likely be in a reserve role considering the high # of returning starters on both sides of the ball... They have 16 of 22 starters returning, 8 on each side of the ball, so, I expect them to be good and hungry, coming off a 13-2 state runnerup team. At least they should be...

I look for Mayfield to be very solid. I believe this will become Johnathon Jacksons team with him running the ball and his very solid play from the linebacking postion. As long as there are no injuries and other "things" don't occur,I look for Mayfield to be one of the top 2 or 3 teams, if not the top team.

I watched them play Beechwood last year and they were very good. When I got home I looked through their roster to see who they were losing and I remember that they do not lose many seniors. Beechwood will have a hard time when they meet in the 4th round again in 2010. The good news is that Mayfield gets to travel this time and that is a looooooong ride.

With what is returning they should be the favorite to be state champs. This is the year Cards fan had expected to make a title run but last years team suprised and exceeded all expectations. The line on both sides will be better, qb will be a year older (the qb is already the most successful qb in school history and a 3 year returning starter) with 2 of his 3 favorite targets returning on a pass happy squad from last year by Mayfield standards. The loss of wide out Shelton will be tough as you do not have a reciever of his caliber come around often who makes defenses completely change their schemes just to contain him. Shelton required so much attention last year that it made the other 2 WR's have great years and both are fast and sure handed but just not the freak athlete that Shelton was but still a pair that will take in their share of balls just as they did last year. The back field will miss the little scat back Murrell who started for 4 years but this should not be felt long as this is the deepest area on the team for the Cards. It will feature a power back in sophmore J Jackson who made all state HM as a freshman on defense at LB. Noonan returns in the backfield and is a great back in his own right. Several others will also see time in the deep backfield. The Cards will return their kicker who is one of the better ones in the state. If memory serves me, I recall a couple of field goals in the 40 range. I expect the offense to be balanced with a 60/40 run pass ratio given that they have the personel to be very good at both. Defense will be much improved with nearly all the line returning. Jackson will be the leader at LB where as a fresman he was named all state HM. Jackson many feel may become one of the schools best ever LB. He was the most dominate freshman I can ever recall. Most of the secondary returns and with a added year to mature should be improved as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hearing that 8 or 9 kids from Graves Co will be transferring to Mayfield this year. All are freshman, so, I don't know how much they'll contribute this year, but, it should bode well for the next few yrs. My understanding is that these kids were the bulk of the offense and defense on the Graves 7th and 8th grade teams the past 2 yrs, that only lost 2 games in those 2 yrs. With as good as Mayfields freshman class was last year, I'd think by the time those kids get to be srs and those transfers jrs, this could be a special team.

I'm hearing that 8 or 9 kids from Graves Co will be transferring to Mayfield this year. All are freshman, so, I don't know how much they'll contribute this year, but, it should bode well for the next few yrs. My understanding is that these kids were the bulk of the offense and defense on the Graves 7th and 8th grade teams the past 2 yrs, that only lost 2 games in those 2 yrs. With as good as Mayfields freshman class was last year, I'd think by the time those kids get to be srs and those transfers jrs, this could be a special team.

Only one of those transfers was a big contributor to the MS football team. The majority of the Graves 8th grade team that has been so successful will be intact. 30 or so now 9th graders are already participating in June workouts at Graves.

The kids that left did so because, “they were cut from the 8th grade basketball team, didn't get enough playing time in baseball, and have been told they will have a shot to win a 1A football state championship”(their exact words). They have been told this by people in the Mayfield community. They believed them and left. Most of the team stayed loyal and will be Graves County Eagles for the next four years.

Regardless, Graves County Football will be fine without them.

Only one of those transfers was a big contributor to the MS football team. The majority of the Graves 8th grade team that has been so successful will be intact. 30 or so now 9th graders are already participating in June workouts at Graves.

The kids that left did so because, “they were cut from the 8th grade basketball team, didn't get enough playing time in baseball, and have been told they will have a shot to win a 1A football state championship”(their exact words). They have been told this by people in the Mayfield community. They believed them and left. Most of the team stayed loyal and will be Graves County Eagles for the next four years.

Regardless, Graves County Football will be fine without them.

I'm sure they will if you call a 5-5 to 7-3 record and 1st or 2nd round exit in the playoffs with abt every 3rd year not even making the playoffs fine, but, I know for a fact more than 1 of those kids were big contributors on the football team. Matter of fact, most, if not all, were starters on the MS teams. I also doubt too many Mayfield people had to convince those kids that they have a better chance to win a state title in football at Mayfield than they do at Graves. Anyone with half a brain knows this. You may be 100% correct on the basketball and baseball thing, I don't know, but, this is a football forum, thus why I brought it up. Point is, these kids are football players and Mayfield places alot of emphasis on that whereas Graves Co puts all it's time and resources in basketball and very little in football. In addition, Mayfield gets approx 1.4M in scholarship money each yr compared to 1.5M for Graves which is fairly close with 1/3 of the students while they also average 15-18 kids per class where Graves has 30-35 per class, so, it appears to me these kids are just taking advantage of a better opportunity.

So essentially, the "people in the Mayfield Community" told them the truth??? I would tend to agree, I think I have even been guilty of doing this myself. Seems that Graves does not mind it when they get some of the Mayfield kids and that also happens all the time. Just the way it is in a small community where schools are a couple miles apart. Graves kids for the last 50+ years have often done this, it's nothing new. Graves is in a no win situation being in a class with the Titans of KY Football and I can't blame a kid for wanting what he see's next door.

Any news on how J.Jackson did at the Under Armor camp in Atlanta?

Here's the only thing I've been able to find on Jonathan's camp:

Jonathan Jackson

Mayfield HS, Ky

9th

LB #97

Jackson earned the LB MVP and was the strongest player at a skill position. Powerfully built at 5'9.5 and 189, Jackson bench pressed 135 pounds 33 times, ran a 4.54 shuttle, had well rounded skills as a linebacker and was coachable.