Best War Movies

Sandman

Memorial Day weekend, which means a lot of war movies on cable this weekend. What are the best/your favorite war movies of all time?

A few of mine to get the ball rolling, in no particular order:

Apocalypse Now

We Were Soliders

Black Hawk Down

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glory. That is a movie that often I will stop whatever I'm doing to sit down and watch it.

I also enjoy We Were Soldiers, Saving Private Ryan, and Black Hawk Down. I HATE Apocalypse Now. However, I think that's due to watching it in English class where they made us analyze it as a comparison to Heart of Darkness.

The Patriot is another enjoyable one.

Saving Private Ryan (I still can't believe it lost the Best Picture Oscar to Shakespeare In Love:confused::isurrender::rolleyes:

Patton

All Is Quite On The Western Front

The Longest Day

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Bridge On The River Kwai

Casablanca

Sergeant York

Midway

Glory

The Deer Hunter

Full Metal Jacket

Platoon

MASH

The Great Escape

Gettysburg

Gotta go with Platoon. Great flick.

Love Platoon.

Some other personal favorites.

Behind Enemy Lines

Saving Private Ryan

The Patriot

Jarhead

Black Hawk Down

Full Metal Jacket

I know its not a movie but does anyone else love the series they had on the History Channel, WWII in HD? Actual footage, actual storys from eyewitness accounts from those in the action. Follows the lives of like 11 or 12 who had a part in the war, on all fronts. If you haven't seen it I recommend catching it when it comes on, it was on today as a matter of fact.

Glory. That is a movie that often I will stop whatever I'm doing to sit down and watch it.

I also enjoy We Were Soldiers, Saving Private Ryan, and Black Hawk Down. I HATE Apocalypse Now. However, I think that's due to watching it in English class where they made us analyze it as a comparison to Heart of Darkness.

The Patriot is another enjoyable one.

Had to do the same thing with Apocalypse Now, so I understand. I'd seen the movie before though, so I didn't mind it nearly as much as you obviously did.

Saving Private Ryan (I still can't believe it lost the Best Picture Oscar to Shakespeare In Love:confused::isurrender::rolleyes:

Patton

All Is Quite On The Western Front

The Longest Day

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Bridge On The River Kwai

Casablanca

Sergeant York

Midway

Glory

The Deer Hunter

Full Metal Jacket

Platoon

MASH

The Great Escape

Gettysburg

I loved Full Metal Jacket! People thought I was nuts when I watched it at the theater. I laughed so hard during the scene with R Lee Ermey when introduced himself as the Senior Drill Instructor. :lol:

I saw some of the same stuff when I was in boot camp at MCRD.