How do you qualify for state in track?

I know that if you finish in the top 2 at regionals you go to state, but how do all others qualify?

Is there a time standard that you need to run below?

Do they take the next x number of fastest?

I looked on the KHSAA website, but I couldn't find the answer.

It is my understanding that the first and second place from region move on to a qualifying event at state. They run in this qualifier on Thursday and if they make the top eight they move on to the finals on Saturday. If they make it to Saturday they are guaranteed a medal because they give medals to the top eight finishers in each event.

You can qualify if your times are better than others who have qualified within the state.

A couple of years back, my daughter's relay team did not qualify in regionals, however their time was compared with other qualifying teams from other regions. Their times were better then some of the other regions, so they qualified. I dont know exactly how it works, but that was the gist of it.

It is my understanding that the first and second place from region move on to a qualifying event at state. They run in this qualifier on Thursday and if they make the top eight they move on to the finals on Saturday. If they make it to Saturday they are guaranteed a medal because they give medals to the top eight finishers in each event.

I don't think that's the case. The 2A meet is on Thursday, while the 1A and 3A meets are on Saturday. They did away with the first heat/second heat/championship heat format last year (I think) and instead award place medals based on times from each heat. If there are multiple heats, the heats will be broken up by region times to give the feeling of a championship heat.