What New Music Are You Listening To?

Gareth Asher's new album, set for release on April 30. My fiance and I met up with him at his concert in Johnson City last weekend, and he said that he had just gotten his shipment in that very day and had them available at his show if we wanted to buy them... Said it we actually were the very first buyers of that particular album that he'd had (and he signed it as such).

Not quite as good as his other two releases (IMO), but still a very solid album that I suggest everyone give a listen to... He's one of the better singers you've never heard of. :lol:

l_093568ea86b44cb889010ec15c769f53.png

I anticipate that Band of Horses new release will be worked in as well, when it comes out in May.

I found a copy of "A Hundred Miles Off" by The Walkmen yesterday on a good bargain.

One night while driving home from the Sweet 16 in Lex, I caught these guys live on a NPR Music sat feed from SXSW. I remembered most that their singer had a Greg Dulli style to him, and that was intriguing. The album is all over the place musically, but held together masterfully by an incredible drummer (of whom I'm now recalling more of from the live show) and some solid bass work. Melodic, noisy, somewhat Dylan-esque. I'm digging it.

Another band I'm hearing a lot of and loving is a British indie band called Fanfarlo. The lead singer almost croons in a Chris Isaak meets Morrissey vibe. Very light, poppy, and extremely catchy. Unfortunately, I got to ear X-tacy too late to see their free show, and couldn't make their late one either.

Very melodic (again, a common theme with me lately), using offbeat percussion -- even what's either a triangle or a xylophone -- and intricate strings to do it. Fun stuff.

• 5 months later...