How many people have 3 or more kids...

RockPride

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had 3 children in 3 1/2 years . The transition from 1 to 2 wasnt difficult. The transition from 2 to 3 wasnt exactly difficult, but did require more adjustment for the following reasons.

1. When there are two little ones and the family goes out, usually dad takes charge of one and mom the other. With a third one, somehow one seems to make an escape occasionally.

2. Most restaurants and hotels are made to accommodate families of four. When we go out to eat, the five of us are occasionally asked to squeezed into a table for four, which is not easy these days, or else "take up" a table for 6 or 8. With hotels, you always have to argue for a cot, or, as they get bigger, a second hotel room.

3. The sibling dynamic is interesting. It is very easy to pit two against one in a multitude of situations throughout childhood. You will definately get a feel for how that works.

4. You will soon find that you have an invisible 4th child who does everything wrong in your house. With three, there is an extra margin of "reasonable doubt" in every "I didnt do that" sitiuation in the home.

5. As they get older and involed in sports/band/arts, you will find that schedules often conflict. You may have a Saturday when all 3 have something at the same time. Who doesnt get a parent at the event? Those kind of things can usually work out, but you have to be careful to balance those absences equally.

That is all I can think of before heading off to work. I loved every moment of raising my three. I would not have changed a thing. Each child adds his/her own dimension to the family and makes parenthood all the more fun and interesting. Looking back, I probably would have had a fourth!

I have 4 boys. Really not much difference between 1 & 2. To me, 3 is a different world. Every task that you would do by yourself changes. Something as simple as going to the grocery store when your spose is working is an excursion and a challenge. I remember the days of carrying the youngest, next youngest in the cart, and oldest either holding my hand or holding on to the cart. 4 actually got a little easier than 3, but tougher than 2, because the oldest is there to help you out.

Congrats on your new addition.

I have three children.

The transition from having no children to having one child was a huge change.

The transition from having one child to two children was quite a bit less.

The transition from having two children to having three was really not much change for us.

I feel blessed to have two girls and a boy. Congratulations on your soon to be "Baby Rock".

Mrs. Hearsay and I have 4 children. I thought the jump from 2 to 3 was the most difficult, if for no other reason than that one child is unlikely to have an adult's hands on in parking lots, etc. Also, for some reason the amount of equipment, car seats, etc. seemed to be overly burdensome. The transition from 3 to 4 did not seem as difficult, so you and Mrs. RP should go ahead and get started after 3 is born!

Congratulations, to you and your wife. I am sure you will have them all learning appropriate uses for saffron and cheering for the Rocks in no time!

Congrats RP!!! :thumb:

We stopped at 2 and spread ours out (1 is now 20 and the other is 15). We wanted more but weren't able to have any more. I grew up in a family of 5 kids, so I understand it from that perspective, but not as a parent.

I think we need to buy you a TV and give you something else to do!!!

j/k

I had 3 children in 3 1/2 years . The transition from 1 to 2 wasnt difficult. The transition from 2 to 3 wasnt exactly difficult, but did require more adjustment for the following reasons.

1. When there are two little ones and the family goes out, usually dad takes charge of one and mom the other. With a third one, somehow one seems to make an escape occasionally.

2. Most restaurants and hotels are made to accommodate families of four. When we go out to eat, the five of us are occasionally asked to squeezed into a table for four, which is not easy these days, or else "take up" a table for 6 or 8. With hotels, you always have to argue for a cot, or, as they get bigger, a second hotel room.

3. The sibling dynamic is interesting. It is very easy to pit two against one in a multitude of situations throughout childhood. You will definately get a feel for how that works.

4. You will soon find that you have an invisible 4th child who does everything wrong in your house. With three, there is an extra margin of "reasonable doubt" in every "I didnt do that" sitiuation in the home.

5. As they get older and involed in sports/band/arts, you will find that schedules often conflict. You may have a Saturday when all 3 have something at the same time. Who doesnt get a parent at the event? Those kind of things can usually work out, but you have to be careful to balance those absences equally.

That is all I can think of before heading off to work. I loved every moment of raising my three. I would not have changed a thing. Each child adds his/her own dimension to the family and makes parenthood all the more fun and interesting. Looking back, I probably would have had a fourth!

Very imformative post.

I think a lot depends on the age differences in your kids too. Beechwoodfan has great points.

I only had two kids, who were 18 months apart, and it was really not at all any issue because they pretty much went through things together, especially as they got older. It was a bit challenging going to the grocery store or mall. At the grocery, I used 2 carts, one for the kids, and one for the groceries. I apologize to all the grocery stores for having knocked over countless end-aisle displays throughout my kids early years.

I grew up one of 4 kids. I am the oldest; I have a sister who is 13 months younger; I have another sister who is 5 1/2 years younger than me, and a brother who is 16 years younger than me.

My oldest-middle sister and I grew up basically like twins. Everything was pretty much the same for one as the other. Adding my youngest-middle sister in was a challenge, but my mom put the two of us older ones to work doing a lot of the things that can be challenging with 3 young kids, holding hands in a "chain", fixing snacks, putting clothes away, etc. My oldest-middle sister and I entertained ourselves together though. We really kind of tried to ignore my youngest sister unless we were forced to include her somehow.

My brother wasn't a big deal at all! By the time he came along, my mom had 3 built-in babysitters and housekeepers. :lol: And I adored him, and pretty much volunteered for anything she needed help with relative to him. :lol:

In the end, growing up, my youngest-middle sister was the one who got left out the most, with respect to sibling relationships. But, she was spoiled rotten by my parents, so I don't harbor too much guilt. :sssh:

I have 4 Kids.

A 23 year old Sr. daughter at Western Kentucky University

A 21 year old daughter at National College of Business

A 19 year old Soph. son at Lindsey Wilson College

and A 17 year old Sr. daughter at Boyle County High.

When they was all young, I called them my little tax deductions. Know I am know as the Bank of Dad. I feel like Al Bundy on payday.:D That explains why "Married With Children" is my favorite TV show.

I have 4 Kids.

A 23 year old Sr. daughter at Western Kentucky University

A 21 year old daughter at National College of Business

A 19 year old Soph. son at Lindsey Wilson College

and A 17 year old Sr. daughter at Boyle County High.

When they was all young, I called them my little tax deductions. Know I am know as the Bank of Dad. I feel like Al Bundy on payday.:D That explains why "Married With Children" is my favorite TV show.

One of my favorite lines of all time came from that show.

Peg (reading a quiz question from a womens' magazine): Who would you rather have sex with? A) Your wife; B)

Al: B