What is running up the score?

mcraycraft

I have seen comments in the past about teams running up the score. I understand being up quite a few points with the first team still in is wrong or having a huge lead and maybe going for it on 4th down could be considered running up the score. BUT if my third string is in and I am up 40-50 points, shouldn't that third stringer get the chance to throw, run, etc for a touchdown. He did not go out for the team just because he looks good in the uniform. This might be the only chance he gets.

I have seen comments in the past about teams running up the score. I understand being up quite a few points with the first team still in is wrong or having a huge lead and maybe going for it on 4th down could be considered running up the score. BUT if my third string is in and I am up 40-50 points, shouldn't that third stringer get the chance to throw, run, etc for a touchdown. He did not go out for the team just because he looks good in the uniform. This might be the only chance he gets.

I agree with you 100%. 2ed and 3rd string players spend all week getting pounded on. They get very few chances to get on the playing field. And from what I can remember most coaches, players anyone around the game will tell you that you get hurt when you are not giving 100%. But over the years I have seen my fair share of coaches who have had their #1s in up by 40 running it up.

Yes the 2nd or 3rd string should play at full speed and if they score then so be it. I don’t think a good coach would want his players to do any less and will pull the starters when he feels the game is in hand. Not only does it give players a chance to play who might not normally get in, but they gain valuable experience for later on. Now if a team is up 40 or 50 points and the 2nd string QB is slinging the ball down field every play it might be more of a judgment call as to whether the coach is trying get the QB some passing experience or running up the score, but each team and each situation is different.

I do think many people are overly sensitive to "running up the score". IMO, on the varsity level, virtually nothing can be considered running up the score in the first half of a game or if there is less than a 5 TD spread between the teams in the 3rd quarter. When a score gets to the point where you put in your two's, passing on 1st or 2nd down is a no no unless your whole offense is a passing offense. No trick plays. No onsides kicks, etc. Once a team is up by 60, run the absolute basics and try to get off the field healthy. You have to look at the game and situation but I think the above are guidelines that almost all would agree with. The tough part is it is hard to be objective when you are getting your butt kicked in a game and emotions are high. I also say, if a team is getting trounced and their opponent puts in their two's, the team getting trounced should not keep their first team out there for more than one possession. Their number two's want to play also so put them out there.

Large margins are fine...here are my "rules"...

...If I'm leading by tons at the half, my #1s play ONLY the first series of the second half. Why? To practice making adjustments. From then on, it's the 2s and 3s...

...if my offense is a passing offense, my 2s and 3s will pass. Why would I want them to practice anything else?

...if I'm the coach on the losing end of a big score, please keep playing football. How will I be able to teach my team if all you do is fullback dive plays? Obviously, my team needs the reps.

...NO trick plays. NO onside kicks. NO two point conversions. NO bombs downfield. NO fake punts or field goals. None of these are part of anyone's base offense. And while we're at it, NO going for it on fourth down.

...Defensively, if I'm up big, I quit blitzing.

In short, if I'm losing to you big, I want you to KEEP PLAYING FOOTBALL. And if I'm winning big, I'm stupid to leave my studs in, risking injury and blowing a chance to develop the backups...

UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT: First game of the season about 6-7 years ago...one team is a traditional power; the other a frequent visitor to the top 10. The second team has had a rash of injuries and starts three freshmen at linebacker during the game. The traditional power proceeds to methodically take advantage of the LB spot with its passing game and blows out to a 50 point lead...on the final play of the game, the traditional power still has its starting offense in, and throws a BOMB downfield. Ridiculous.

I think as long you are not going with your first string and you keep scoring it is ok. It is not a team that has a decent 2nd or 3rd string fault that those kids might be better thant hose kids lined up against them. If a 2nd string RB scores a TD late in a game, then good for him and good for that offensice line. They desereve to celebrate their accomplishments during teh week on Friday night as well.

Everything is fair game until the point differential reaches 100, in my opinion!

Seriously? I wouldn't say that. I think:

1) Any scoring in the first half is fair game.

2) If a team leads by more than 30 in the second half and is still scoring with their first string in, they're running up the score. They need to put their second and third teamers in. That's the time and place where a coach needs to teach good sportsmanship and get the backups in the game - third string sophomores getting varsity p.t., they live for that. Furthermore, if the second and third teamers increase the lead, so be it. You can't expect second and third string to have to play poorly because the other team isn't able to keep up.

3) If the second and third teams have been sent in and the lead is diminished to less than 30, it's fair to put your first string back in to regain the lead.

My humble opinion.

Seriously? I wouldn't say that. I think:

1) Any scoring in the first half is fair game.

2) If a team leads by more than 30 in the second half and is still scoring with their first string in, they're running up the score. They need to put their second and third teamers in. That's the time and place where a coach needs to teach good sportsmanship and get the backups in the game - third string sophomores getting varsity p.t., they live for that. Furthermore, if the second and third teamers increase the lead, so be it. You can't expect second and third string to have to play poorly because the other team isn't able to keep up.

3) If the second and third teams have been sent in and the lead is diminished to less than 30, it's fair to put your first string back in to regain the lead.

My humble opinion.

Looks good to me! :ylsuper:

Yes the 2nd or 3rd string should play at full speed and if they score then so be it. I don’t think a good coach would want his players to do any less and will pull the starters when he feels the game is in hand. Not only does it give players a chance to play who might not normally get in, but they gain valuable experience for later on. Now if a team is up 40 or 50 points and the 2nd string QB is slinging the ball down field every play it might be more of a judgment call as to whether the coach is trying get the QB some passing experience or running up the score, but each team and each situation is different.

Couldn't agree more FC, very well put.

Later.