Should Cov Cath install lights?

The only reason I ask this is that I have heard 3 people in the last couple of weeks ask why Cov Cath doesn't put in lights and play on Fridays.

Cov Cath has been playing their varsity home games on Saturday afternoons since the 1978 season when they completed building Wooten Stadium. Initially, the games were held on Saturdays in order to respect the neighbors who didn't want lights for the stadium. In the last 31 years, all of the neighbors who had objected to the lights have moved out of the houses by the stadium, so the "lights issue" has become, more or less, a non-issue.

Should Cov Cath pursue the possibility of installing lighting at Wooten Stadium?

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there are plenty of people from other schools who think Cov Cath should play on Friday like everyone else, but I see it as Cov Cath's own tradition in a way...like Ryle's cannons (sorry Bluebirds, I hated to see your cannon go, honestly).

Also, I've mentioned before in some other threads, I'm good friends with former players from a handful of other Northern Kentucky high school programs, and they all said they liked the Saturday games. Whenever you had walk-throughs on Friday instead of Thursday, you knew you were in for a good game on Saturday afternoon in Park Hills.

The only reason I ask this is that I have heard 3 people in the last couple of weeks ask why Cov Cath doesn't put in lights and play on Fridays.

Cov Cath has been playing their varsity home games on Saturday afternoons since the 1978 season when they completed building Wooten Stadium. Initially, the games were held on Saturdays in order to respect the neighbors who didn't want lights for the stadium. In the last 31 years, all of the neighbors who had objected to the lights have moved out of the houses by the stadium, so the "lights issue" has become, more or less, a non-issue.

Should Cov Cath pursue the possibility of installing lighting at Wooten Stadium?

I don't see how the light issue has become a non-issue. If the neighbors are gone that objected to the lights, new neighbors have moved in and purchased those homes when there where no lights. They may not have purchased the homes if they knew Cov. Cath. was going to install lights.

Just my thoughts.

Personnally I think they should get lights. They have a great new field and in order to get the maximum use out of it they would need lights.

I don't see how the light issue has become a non-issue. If the neighbors are gone that objected to the lights, new neighbors have moved in and purchased those homes when there where no lights. They may not have purchased the homes if they knew Cov. Cath. was going to install lights.

Just my thoughts.

Personally I think they should get lights. They have a great new field and in order to get the maximum use out of it they would need lights.

There has been some "non-official discussion" (for lack of a better term) that has taken place between some of the Cov Cath Athletic Boosters and the neighbors. It's a non-issue.

It will not happen. The AD at CovCath has not made nice with the people who live behind the field, and a good few of those people do not want lights. If the AD changed or if he changed his attitude and treated them better it could happen, but I can almost guarantee it won't.

I hate Saturday games and wish they would get lights. There is nothing like Friday night football.

There has been some "non-official discussion" (for lack of a better term) that has taken place between some of the Cov Cath Athletic Boosters and the neighbors. It's a non-issue.

That's not really true. It was discussed lightly, but not everyone agreed. I think the largest part is honestly who the AD is. He really left a sour effect on the people behind the stadium, and although you think most of the people have moved, they haven't. Most of the people in those houses have lived there for 20 years.

That's not really true. It was discussed lightly, but not everyone agreed. I think the largest part is honestly who the AD is. He really left a sour effect on the people behind the stadium, and although you think most of the people have moved, they haven't. Most of the people in those houses have lived there for 20 years.

I suppose I'll take your word for it. I'm going on what I was told by several of the athletic boosters and one of the coaches. :idunno:

If you don't mind my asking though, what has the AD done to treat the neighbors poorly?

It is time for lights. There is too much going on at CovCath today. 30 years ago, only football was using the field, today there is middle school football, soccer, kids soccer, baseball in the early spring, lacross. Also with the field being turf, it gets much hotter than a grass field.

This time of year, it is getting dark by 7:30. Last night, the soccer game was getting dark, and we had a sunset. Tonight's freshman football game will be hard to see in the fourth quarter, because it will be rainy. With today's lights you can control or direct the light to the field; the ajoining property will not be lit up like a Christmas tree.

TIME FOR LIGHTS.

Edited by Birdsfan

I love traditions...I hope CC keeps their Saturday games. Most coaches I know hate Saturday games, but I love traditions that become associated with certain schools.

Save the money and use it for something else! (lights aren't cheap! You're talking six figures... you can pay for a lot things with that kind of money...you could fund a LOT of non-revenue sports...)

Nobody is saying you can't have Saturday games just because you get lights. Heck, look at most colleges. If you had lights, you could play either Friday or Saturday. Your little league could play games on the "Big" field. What a thrill for the little guys. Your soccer team could play at night. Winter practices could last longer. All kinds of other events could take place. You could rent the facility to other sports groups for use at night.

Just some thoughts.