Riherds / KHSAA Scoreboard

In another thread, there was talk of the Football Schedules being incomplete on the Riherds / KHSAA Scoreboard.

Now theoldguy might be old but he isn't dumb, as there is no way that any team (okay maybe one) that hasn't updated their schedule on the Riherds / KHSAA Scoreboard that doesn't have all it's game finalized by this late in the year!

This got to to wondering, as I do sometimes as to the following:

Theoldguy up on his soapbox

From my experience at least from baseball, I have found that it's usually a very lazy Athletic Director who isn't posting the information to the KHSAA.

Seems to me that the KHSAA should start putting it's foot down about posting information to their web site for (us) the fans.

Far too many teams don't post any stats for their players because they feel it's helps out the other teams but when roster aren't even correct, it's just plain silly and tough for the fans.

The KHSAA really needs to start telling it's membership that they (the AD's/Schools) must post the information that the website request and that information must be posted within two/three hours of the end of the games (for any sport). It's not that hard to call that 1-800 number to update the scores as I have done it on a regular basic during the baseball season to update the scores of the games I have attended.

Theoldguy getting down off of his soapbox!

Every school should be required to have their fall sports schedules posted prior to the dead period. I understand there might be some future updates to schedules, but I'm guessing about 98% of all sports schedules for the fall are complete.

In other states, the reporting of schedules and stats is a requirement of membership and failure to do so can result in a fine for each sport not in compliance. At some point, the message got across.

Maybe the KHSAA should implement a $250 fine for each sport not in compliance.

Scores should certainly be done withing 2-3 hours but stats are a totally different story. Some coaches go through the game film to do stats, some teams only have one statistician, etc. I'd say for a Friday night game, stats could be posted within 24 hours.

Also, it would be a lot easier if KHSAA had an online or texting feature for scores, instead of calling it in. I would think that it would be easier from their standpoint, too.

Scores should certainly be done withing 2-3 hours but stats are a totally different story. Some coaches go through the game film to do stats, some teams only have one statistician, etc. I'd say for a Friday night game, stats could be posted within 24 hours.

Also, it would be a lot easier if KHSAA had an online or texting feature for scores, instead of calling it in. I would think that it would be easier from their standpoint, too.

While I can agree with you about the Stats, how can it be easier than picking up a cell phone/land line and calling the 1-800 number and saying on Friday (whatever date it is) at team "Y" Home field, team "X" beat team "Y" by a score of. Not everybody has a PDA handy and if texting, you can always type in the wrong score.

Either way, why do so many teams not post the score/stats of their games in a reasonable amount of time? Do they (meaning the teams who don't) realize how many folks look at this web site to find out what their local team did that night. I know a lot of people who no longer live any where near where they went to HS at and indeed like to keep up todate on what is going on at their old school.

I can understand on the stats, but I think coaches/ADs/stat people can meet the Thursday noon deadline that the KHSAA sets down for stats.

On average, I enter in about 10 unreported football scores to the scoreboard each week and about 20 to 30 basketball scores each week. That's way too many.

While I can agree with you about the Stats, how can it be easier than picking up a cell phone/land line and calling the 1-800 number and saying on Friday (whatever date it is) at team "Y" Home field, team "X" beat team "Y" by a score of. Not everybody has a PDA handy and if texting, you can always type in the wrong score.

Either way, why do so many teams not post the score/stats of their games in a reasonable amount of time? Do they (meaning the teams who don't) realize how many folks look at this web site to find out what their local team did that night. I know a lot of people who no longer live any where near where they went to HS at and indeed like to keep up todate on what is going on at their old school.

I've been calling KHSAA for football and basketball scores since 2000, I believe. I think that the site is a great source of information and we are lucky to be able to have it. With that being said, that doesn't mean that improvements might not be considered.

With texting, you can send the results out to more than one entity at at time, simultaneously. "Trimble Co FB vs. Carroll Co 28-21 final" can go to KHSAA and a variety of other media and individuals that have that capability. It's not just KHSAA. I think that news stations should have that capability also. I know a lot of coaches that have all of their kids numbers in their cell and text them information about games, practices, reminders, etc.

The KHSAA recordings are lengthy and time consuming, and sometimes once you have pushed "105 for basketball" it repeats the original recording and you have to do it again. Even so, this has never stopped me from calling in the scores for any of the hundreds of games that I have been responsible for doing. I have forgotten on occassion, particularly after a game in which there was an injury and I was thinking more along the lines of getting to the hospital to check on a kid, but other times....I've simply forgotten. I realize it the next morning when I am checking last night's scores and call it in them.

Stats ARE entered electronically and appear on the website instantly. I think that scores could be done the same way. It's just a thought.

Kentucky is very lucky to have the KHSAA website, there aren't very many states that have that vast amount of information, however, it isn't their fault for coaches or AD's not reporting stats, just very inconsiderate of the process that the KHSAA has tried to offer fans. 24 hours, the stats should be updated weekly for any sport, no excuses for that. Once again we are very lucky to have the information that KHSAA provides us.

Kentucky is very lucky to have the KHSAA website, there aren't very many states that have that vast amount of information, however, it isn't their fault for coaches or AD's not reporting stats, just very inconsiderate of the process that the KHSAA has tried to offer fans. 24 hours, the stats should be updated weekly for any sport, no excuses for that. Once again we are very lucky to have the information that KHSAA provides us.

I totally agree with your statement, as it really is a shame for those AD's/Coaches of some Ky HS to not follow through on giving the information to the KHSAA, isn't this one of the jobs that the AD's/Coaches are getting paid to do?

As has been stated, I think it's time for the KHSAA to put some pressure on those programs that are not following through on getting their information out to the KHSAA website by penalizing the Coach or AD in there wallets. Leave the School alone, just make those whose job it is do their job!

I am always amazed by how many schools do not keep stats for their own records, much less post them. I just can't understand that.

I agree. As someone that has done stats for years, I had one coach that simply glanced at the bottom line and then laid them on his desk (if they made it that far) and that was the last place that you would see them. Then I've had coaches that would use my stats for release to the media on game night, then we would go back through the film and make any adjustments as needed (if I missed a play while taking care of an injury or equipment problem) for season stats.

This thread somewhat reminds me of that saying, "my right to know supercedes your right to exist".:D

I understand your comment, but if the KHSAA goes to the trouble of having such a wonderful web site for the fans to use but many teams refuse to post to, then one of two things need to be done.

1. Get rid of the site

2. Enforce the rule of posting to the site

Pretty simple really

I just wonder how many hits the site gets each Friday/Saturday during the football season.