Message to the guru and all others

jbwill2

I joined this BB less than a week ago, but I have been reading posts from this site since the middle of last football season (I saw something about BGP from a newspaper article). I only follow the HS football forum, so I can't comment on the others. But I think that it's a really great BB for anyone interested in KY football. I'm impressed with the level of civility; some of the football nuts I know don't show other teams' fans much respect for some idiotic reason. I'm a crazy Highlands football fan, as I'm sure you all will see later this year. I've been out of Ft. Thomas and living in Lexington for eight years now, attending college and med school here. Needless to say, there aren't too many fellow HS football fanatics running around Chandler Medical Center, so I will enjoy conversing with you guys on this BB this year (and am enjoying it now while on summer break). So, thanks to all of you, especially the guru, for running such a great BB. Also, I have a question for the guru. When did you start BGP, and why did you decide to create it? Finally, I noticed that you give away BGP "scholarships" for people to be members free of charge. I think that's really classy! Keep up the good work all, and I look forward to contributing!

jbwill2

First of all, thanks for the kind words about the site Doc.

I started the site in October of 2000. In the late 90's my wife went back to school to get her Masters Degree and we bought a puter with net access. Of course, the first thing I did was start researching high school football on the net and there was almost nothing in Kentucky and it hit me right then that there needs to be a place to bring everyone together in this state. I thought about it a lot for the next couple of years and then I stumbled on some bulletin boards and I knew that was the missing link. In other words, a bulletin board would keep people coming back. So I anted up a lot of my own money and the rest is history!

On the scholarships, thank Mr.Network for that. It was his idea. Also, thank everyone that donated to the scholarship fund.

IMO that BGP is the only reason i own a Computer ,so the way i see it is Gateway owes theguru a little bit of commission:lol: :lol:

But seriously BGP is my home on the Internet and i don't know what i would do without it ,so that great idea you had all those years ago guru i just want to thank you:thumb:

jbwill2 - Welcome to BGP! We can NEVER have enough Highlands fans here!:ylsuper: What year did you graduate? I know you will love being here during football season and if you (like rockmom said) check out some of the other forums, I'm sure you will find all kinds of interesting things going on.

Right now there's lots of activity in the General Discussion Forum. This is sort of like the BGP coffee shop where all sorts of things are discussed and everyone gets a chance to get to know each other better. This is where a lot of lifelong friendships have been formed...at least until football season starts! :lol:

If you need anything or have a question, let me or any of us know!:thumb:

To answer your question Birdsfan, I graduated from HHS in 1995. I really wasn't that big of a football fan while I was there; some of my friends were on the team and I went to the games mainly for fun and to support them. But since then I have become a HHS football nut! I don't know why... just started taking a lot of pride in them. My senior year was the first year Justin Frisk was at HHS (from CCH). The Birds weren't too great that year. They got hammered by Moeller early on, and were trampled by CCH at HHS during the regular season. I just remember that in the playoffs, the Birds were down by just a few points to CCH late in the game, and had the ball first-and-goal, like on the one-yard line. I think they kept handing the ball off to Frisk, and CCH kept stuffing him, and CCH won and went on to win 3A (I think). Uggg!!!!

Originally posted by Birdsfan

jbwill2 - Welcome to BGP! We can NEVER have enough Highlands fans here!:ylsuper:

I will second that motion. Welcome to the board. Glad to hear you're a 'Bird fan too. We need all the help we can get on here. :D

Originally posted by NamecipS

I will second that motion. Welcome to the board. Glad to hear you're a 'Bird fan too. We need all the help we can get on here. :D

:lol:The Bird nation makes up about 25% of this board. I felt outnumbered in the Rock vs Highlands discussion a little bit, it ws only 25 to 1 odds of me winning the debate.

Originally posted by 3wishes

:lol:The Bird nation makes up about 25% of this board. I felt outnumbered in the Rock vs Highlands discussion a little bit, it ws only 25 to 1 odds of me winning the debate.

I don't think so! You better fire your pollster 3W! :lol:

I can only think of about 8 Highlands people right off hand.:)