Mayfield-Caldwell County Predictions

Who wins  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins

I know Caldwell likes to throw the ball. If Mayfield plays good pass Defense then I think they will win....if not Caldwell has a good shot at winning this game. I don't see Mayfield having any problems putting up points the way their offense has been moving the ball the past couple of games.

Mayfield 35

Caldwell 14

My .02 cents on the game, looks like Caldwell is a passing team, so I expect them to exploit Mayfield's passing defense which has been tested this year and has shown to have some problems at times. I think that Caldwell will run a lot of screens against us and we got some practice against the screen in the Marshall game so we need to be ready for that. I am sure that the senior QB at caldwell will have a good presence on the field and will know when to get rid of the ball or when to run it, so we need to watch for that as well. I am not sure about caldwells defense tho, I know last year I think we were successful with the run so I look for Mayfield to establish that first to set up the pass later on in the game.

Any reasoning behind that prediction? Just curious........

I cannot speak for skunk, but I am not investing a whole lot in to the last two opponents of Mayfield. Marshall averaged giving up 30 points a game during the regular season, and Fulton City has taken a big step back after consecutive solid seasons. Plus the fact Caldwell Co. beat Crittenden last week by 2TDs.

I am not much into comparing scores or what not, but I do not see Mayfield controlling this game. They may win, but I think it will be a battle.

I cannot speak for skunk, but I am not investing a whole lot in to the last two opponents of Mayfield. Marshall averaged giving up 30 points a game during the regular season, and Fulton City has taken a big step back after consecutive solid seasons. Plus the fact Caldwell Co. beat Crittenden last week by 2TDs.

I am not much into comparing scores or what not, but I do not see Mayfield controlling this game. They may win, but I think it will be a battle.

I had no idea that Caldwell beat Crittendon last week. Comparing scores isn't a necessity of mine when sizing up two teams either, but it might be something to look at in this case. However, Mayfield has grown as a team a lot since the Crittendon game and Im hoping we see the same thing this week.

I think this will be the game that lets us know if Mayfield has awoken from it's sleep this season. If so, I could see them getting to the 4th round of the playoffs. If not, about round 2. I dont mean just winning the game but playing good solid ball. Good solid play on both sides of the ball I like a 2 to 3 TD win. Sloppy ball means barely a win or a lose.

Just for fun, let's look at the stats before we call Caldwell a "passing" team.

The Tigers have thrown the ball 200 times for 1,519 yards and 16 TDs this season. Caldwell has run the ball 247 times for 1,482 yards and 17 TDs this year.

That's over 55 percent runs. Even if you throw out the numbers in two blowouts (vs. Reidland and Webster County when the Tigers ran more than usual in the second half) Caldwell is still running the ball over 50 percent of the time.

It's true Caldwell runs the Tony Franklin spread offense, but it's a mistake to think that all teams that run that offense throw the ball 75 percent of the time (although some do throw it more than others).

Caldwell strives for balance in its attack. Most of its passing game is screens and swing passes. The Tigers will take an occasional shot down the field, but they are hardly a run-and-shoot offense.

All that being said, I think it will be tough for Caldwell to go to Mayfield and win now that the Cardinals seem to have their act together. However, if Caldwell takes care of the ball and gets some timely stops or takeaways, it could be interesting.

The scary part about playing Mayfield late in the year is you usually get a physical contest, which can leave you banged up for the playoffs. I'm not sure that didn't hurt Caldwell last year when it was upset by Heath after losing to Mayfield in the last game of the regular season.

Since I'm a big homer ;) I'm going with Caldwell 28-21.

Just for fun, let's look at the stats before we call Caldwell a "passing" team.

The Tigers have thrown the ball 200 times for 1,519 yards and 16 TDs this season. Caldwell has run the ball 247 times for 1,482 yards and 17 TDs this year.

That's over 55 percent runs. Even if you throw out the numbers in two blowouts (vs. Reidland and Webster County when the Tigers ran more than usual in the second half) Caldwell is still running the ball over 50 percent of the time.

It's true Caldwell runs the Tony Franklin spread offense, but it's a mistake to think that all teams that run that offense throw the ball 75 percent of the time (although some do throw it more than others).

Caldwell strives for balance in its attack. Most of its passing game is screens and swing passes. The Tigers will take an occasional shot down the field, but they are hardly a run-and-shoot offense.

All that being said, I think it will be tough for Caldwell to go to Mayfield and win now that the Cardinals seem to have their act together. However, if Caldwell takes care of the ball and gets some timely stops or takeaways, it could be interesting.

The scary part about playing Mayfield late in the year is you usually get a physical contest, which can leave you banged up for the playoffs. I'm not sure that didn't hurt Caldwell last year when it was upset by Heath after losing to Mayfield in the last game of the regular season.

Since I'm a big homer ;) I'm going with Caldwell 28-21.

Yeah, after I have done some more research, I have found that Caldwell does implement a more balanced attack, but I still have a feeling that caldwell is going to pass more than run against Mayfield since Mayfield has a better run defense than pass defense.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13