Fewer meaningful games late in football season

Eta Rho

From the NKY Enquirer:

When the Kentucky High School Athletic Association opted to increase the number of football classes to six before the 2007 season, there were plenty of complaints:

The same schools still would dominate. Some teams are going to go 0-10 and make the playoffs. The competition is being watered down. Travel expenses will go up.

And another byproduct is springing up as we speak. If you haven't noticed it, we can't really blame you. Because right now, the excitement surrounding high school football is reaching Bengalesque proportions. At least until the playoffs start.

Here's an explanation:

Since the state added two more classes, the state's districts have become smaller. And when you have smaller districts, you have fewer district games. And when you have fewer district games, you have fewer important games.

Don't believe me? After last weekend's game, there wasn't a single Northern Kentucky team with a remaining game that would dictate its playoff future. Heading into this past weekend's games, only eight teams statewide had district games remaining on their schedule. And for next weekend's regular-season finale - from Covington to Corbin - there are no district games on the schedule.

Rest of Story:

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20081102/SPT0302/811020443/

Thoughts? Comments?

Not really much of a revelation because this was dictated by the scheduling grid which allowed for no district games in Week 11, very few in Week 10.

Some like it, some hate it.

I despise the scheduling grid, and the one thing it was meant to guard against isn't really all that relevant anymore. The whole reason for keeping the district games out of week 11 was because the first two rounds were going to be district teams playing each other, and in many cases you had two teams playing back to back weeks, and you were all but guaranteed that some teams were going to be playing twice in two weeks. This occasionally happened in the 4 class system, but it was a much rarer occurrence, and of course could not happen before the second round.

I would like to see a move back to open scheduling, letting teams choose to play when they'd like. Schedule some district games for late in the year, when it takes on more of a playoff atmosphere. And of course I'd like to see a move back to a lower number in classes. It doesn't have the effect that they intended IMO, as the same teams are still winning the championships. And they will in most any system unless they're all isolated together.

I would like to see a move back to open scheduling, letting teams choose to play when they'd like. Schedule some district games for late in the year, when it takes on more of a playoff atmosphere. And of course I'd like to see a move back to a lower number in classes. It doesn't have the effect that they intended IMO, as the same teams are still winning the championships. And they will in most any system unless they're all isolated together.
Amen, brother ...

I despise the scheduling grid, and the one thing it was meant to guard against isn't really all that relevant anymore. The whole reason for keeping the district games out of week 11 was because the first two rounds were going to be district teams playing each other, and in many cases you had two teams playing back to back weeks, and you were all but guaranteed that some teams were going to be playing twice in two weeks. This occasionally happened in the 4 class system, but it was a much rarer occurrence, and of course could not happen before the second round.

This happened two years ago when Dixie and Ryle played back to back weeks and will happen this year as Bellevue played Gallatin CO this past week, they have a bye this week and will open up with Gallatin in he first round of the playoffs.

I'm with you in going back to less classes and open scheduling. It just isn't the same. When they had open scheduling, more often than not Highlands always played CCH the last game of the season and was the final district game for both teams to decide who got the 1 seed. It also allowed other teams to schedule their big district games late in the season to help them better prepare themselves for the playoffs.

We play NCC this week. It used to be the biggest, most exciting game of the season. The first opportunity to measure each other up for who would be going to state. I used to take a small bottle of Tums to the game because I would be so nervous.

Now, it will be a good game, but not nearly as exciting. Not so much at stake. I miss the old days.

Not too much of this has to do with 6 classes. It is the scheduling grid like so many others have alluded to. Still teams should schedule good games which still interest the public and the fans. I know next year Harlan County scheduled Bell County for the last week of the regular season. Sure this has no playoff implications but the gaem will be monumental from now on. It isn't so much the KHSAA's fault as it is the teams who schedule these meaningless games that mean nothing to the program.

There aren't really any meaningful games outside of rivalries these days because everyone makes the playoffs. In some cases, you don't even have to get a win to make it.

That's exactly right and that makes the first two weeks of the playoffs terrible. In many cases, the No. 1 seeds will have their easiest games of the year next week. You'll see many 45+ pt. wins.

That's exactly right and that makes the first two weeks of the playoffs terrible. In many cases, the No. 1 seeds will have their easiest games of the year next week. You'll see many 45+ pt. wins.

However, many of the matchups are anticipated. Messing it up last year was the worst thing that has ever happened. There are some #4 teams that will upset #1's. It happens all the time. This accounts for the good teams that are in a district that is heavy with talent.