Apollo Football

livnloca

It didn't look good. I'm an Apollo grad and prefer to watch them play, but outside of the Dillard run right before halftime, I didn't see very much to get excited about.

Harris Bivin is a beast, but without any help, I'm not sure he'll accomplish much on defense

I told my buddies at the game, that I probably be seeing a lot of Owensboro games this year. At least they will be entertaining.

Since you are a grad, strike-3, can you answer why it is Apollo is not a consistently good program? I have always thought they have the makings to be a force with the right commitment.

They were winning a little bit under Dan Gooch and then he went to Montgomery for some reason. I've never really heard why he left other than to possibly move closer to his wife's family. Seems they've struggled since he left.

Since you are a grad, strike-3, can you answer why it is Apollo is not a consistently good program? I have always thought they have the makings to be a force with the right commitment.

I'm really not sure. They have had a lot of the same assistants stay even when the head coach changes. I never been very impressed with the football program. We were pretty good when Michael Hanley was there, but who wouldn't have been. At least with Carlberg you had the feeling that they had gone out and tried to get a coach from a successful program. He didn't really work out. Bob Mantooth and Tony Hopper have great programs in baseball and basketball, there is no reason that the football program couldn't get to that level.

I do feel that they might lose some players to Owensboro Catholic or Owensboro. I guess you can't blame a good football player for wanting to go to either. Hopefully Daviess Co. has turned things around. They are too big a school to be so pitiful at football. The new coach seems to have things going in the right direction.

They were winning a little bit under Dan Gooch and then he went to Montgomery for some reason. I've never really heard why he left other than to possibly move closer to his wife's family. Seems they've struggled since he left.

I have heard that reason and that he wasn't receiving support from the administration.(I think both reasons are just hearsay) Montgomery County is very lucky to have a coach of his caliber.

Edited by Ram
Rule13

The "no support from admin is correct". There was another person who left at the same time for the same reason. AHS has stellar programs in basketball and baseball, they just don't seem to be as interested in football.

You are very lucky to have Coach Gooch. He is one of the best.