When should you choose your high school?

LCBlue

When should a student choose the high school to attend without loss of eligibility?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. When should a student choose the high school to attend without loss of eligibility?

• Middle School or earlier
    • Beginning of Freshman year
    • Beginning of EACH year
    • No restrictions

I see a lot of posts in this forum mentioning the point at which a student should choose which high school he or she is going to attend, without the loss of eligibility, but I can't get a real grasp on how many posters favor which option. So here are the options:

1. Middle School or earlier (Note: This would require resurrection of the "feeder school" concept.

2. Start of Freshman year. I would include in this other options for sports like football that begin before the school year starts such as the beginning of official practice or the turn-in date for the roster to KHSAA.

3. The beginning of EACH school year.

4. No restrictions at all.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you attend a middle school, of course barring change of residence, that should be your high school.

I think this is where the true recruiting takes place. Selection of high school.......sounds a little like college.

Why shouldn't it be? It's a big choice. My children will have the opportunity to select from Boone County, CovCath/Notre Dame, St. Henry, Covington Holy Cross, Beechwood, Newport Catholic, Highlands, Dixie, Scott, and Simon Kenton.

Why shouldn't it be? It's a big choice. My children will have the opportunity to select from Boone County, CovCath/Notre Dame, St. Henry, Covington Holy Cross, Beechwood, Newport Catholic, Highlands, Dixie, Scott, and Simon Kenton.

I don't think people outside of NKY fully realize how many schools are within a very close distance to many residents. Heck, I can be to 10 schools faster than some people throughout the state can get to their one county school.

Its a nice situation for us.

I guess that I tend to favor feeder school systems. When our high school coach puts his time and efforts in the future of my child, while he is in middle school, I repay that dedication with loyalty. I would not send him to Pineville or Middlesboro after what Bell does for him. I can do my homework before middle school (7th grade).

If you attend a middle school, of course barring change of residence, that should be your high school.

I think this is where the true recruiting takes place. Selection of high school.......sounds a little like college.

In many cases the choice of high school does parallel the choice of college. Private vs Public is similar to State college vs private.

In urban areas students may have to choose among several high schools, both public and private, that are viable options. This is the case in Louisville, Lexington, and NKY. If you're in a rural area the students' options may be more limited.

We don't have the options that you do. However, I believe this is where to problems come from with some coaches and programs. I think that feeder schools would eliminate these problems. You can still choose but at an earlier age.

I think there would be as many problems with the feeder school concept on the public school side, especially in Louisville and NKY, as on the private side. With students in Louisville able to attend any Jefferson Co. school and the open enrollment policies at many NKY independent public schools, there are just not any established feeder middle schools for designated high schools. How would you suggest the choice be made there since the choice of middle school does not necessarily indicate the choice of high school?

School systems have middle schools in their system don't they? This always goes back to boundaries which many don't like. I wouldn't think you have independent middle schools that are not apart of a system. You may have middle schools that service 2 or 3 high schools. Just set feeder schools.

I guess that I tend to favor feeder school systems. When our high school coach puts his time and efforts in the future of my child, while he is in middle school, I repay that dedication with loyalty. I would not send him to Pineville or Middlesboro after what Bell does for him. I can do my homework before middle school (7th grade).

How does the high school coach put time and efforts into the future of the child? I don't think in NKY high school coaches have much intereaction with grade school kids?

We have three high schools in the county but you would attend the one in your attendance zone. Are there no restrictions to the high school you attend?

How does the high school coach put time and efforts into the future of the child? I don't think in NKY high school coaches have much intereaction with grade school kids?

He hires our coaches, attends our games and oversees most all the football. He has camps in the summer and will help our middle school with clinics. Not to mention the one on one time with the kids on a personal level. Trust me he puts time in with our kids.

He hires our coaches, attends our games and oversees most all the football. He has camps in the summer and will help our middle school with clinics. Not to mention the one on one time with the kids on a personal level. Trust me he puts time in with our kids.

So because you choose to live in an area where you have no choice, you except the rest of us to do the same thing?

My Daughter had the choice to attend, Boone County, St. Henry, Villa, NDA, Beechwood, Highlands, Cov Holy Cross, Cov Latin or even if she so chose, the many fine Catholic all girl high schools in Cincinnati (BTW none of the school that I mentioned in Kentucky were much more so than 10-15 miles away from our home).

So what you are telling me, because you don't live in area that can support so many schools, you except the rest of us to not take advantage of this, for the benefit of our children?

Seems sort of one side by you! See, no one owns my daughter, no school district, no coach either! We her Mother and I, along with taking into account her wishes, picked the school she attended, becasue it offered the best of everything for her.

So because you choose to live in an area where you have no choice, you except the rest of us to do the same thing?

My Daughter had the choice to attend, Boone County, St. Henry, Villa, NDA, Beechwood, Highlands, Cov Holy Cross, Cov Latin or even if she so chose, the many fine Catholic all girl high schools in Cincinnati (BTW none of the school that I mentioned in Kentucky were much more so than 10-15 miles away from our home).

So what you are telling me, because you don't live in area that can support so many schools, you except the rest of us to not take advantage of this, for the benefit of our children?

Seems sort of one side by you! See, no one owns my daughter, no school district, no coach either! We her Mother and I, along with taking into account her wishes, picked the school she attended, becasue it offered the best of everything for her.

I could care less what you do, someone ask how we did it.