Cruel recruiting joke that crosses the line of being criminal

The Scribe

When offensive lineman Kevin Hart of Fernley, Nev., announced his commitment to California last Friday, he did so in front of a packed school gymnasium. Two local TV stations showed up to film the event as he prepared to become the first Fernley athlete to receive a full scholarship to a Division I school directly out of high school.

"They really sold me," Hart said. "Coach [Jeff] Tedford and I talked a lot, and the fact that the head coach did most of the recruiting of me kind of gave me the real personal experience.”

But it appears that Hart was the victim of a prank. Somebody, it appears, has been impersonating Tedford. There never was a scholarship offer — let alone any official contact — from the Golden Bears.

LINK

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I'm curious to see if the other schools listed were actually recruiting him as well. If he was duped, as they suspect, I really feel for this young man.

Oregon was another so-called finalist for Hart, and somebody appears to have been impersonating an Oregon representative as well. An official from Oregon confirmed Hart was not being recruited. The validity of Hart's other finalists — Nevada, Illinois and Oklahoma State — remain in question

LINK

Oregon was another so-called finalist for Hart, and somebody appears to have been impersonating an Oregon representative as well. An official from Oregon confirmed Hart was not being recruited. The validity of Hart's other finalists — Nevada, Illinois and Oklahoma State — remain in question

LINK

Very cold. Is the guy capable of getting a scholarship ANYWHERE. Is this a case in which the guy was a waterboy/manager or was he REALLY good as a player? I don't mean that to sound cold but is the Oregon scholarship thing something that ACTUALLY could be realistic for the kid.

LINK

I knew about Oregon. I was referring to the other 3 listed in the article. I'd like to hear what they have to say about it.

It's cruel, but like has already been said what's up with his high school coach. Heck EJ had at least three of the UK coaches make in school visits during his recruitment. Seems strange no one ever saw this guy in person.

I was thinking the same thing. How could you get that far in the recruiting process and never visit the campus, never meet someone face to face, or never email the head coach or call his number at the campus to realize he was not a recruit? Very odd.