If you fail a grade for academic reasons should you be allowed to play sports?

Qryche11

In speaking with a NKY middle school basketball coach last night I was informed that a By-Law was recently voted on to allow kids who fail academically the ability to participate in athletics the following year. He was amazed that it was brought up for vote let alone that it passed with a 12-5 vote in favor of changing the By-Law.

This is an absolute joke IMO. Last I checked athletics was a privelage and not a right. It basically tells kids that athletics are more important than getting good grades. The sad thing was that the A.D of a NKY school who actually was heading up the meeting was putting emphasis on making sure they voted right then and there. Let me guess, his school probably has a couple of kids who failed and who want to play basketball again as 7th or 8th graders. :lol:

I understand that some kids might have health issues and repeat a grade but this is essentially telling the ones that get bad grades, its ok, just come back next year and you will get the same privelages.

So basically not only are we telling the kids that there are no consequences for their failure but we are also telling our 12 and 13 yr old sons and daughters that they may be playing against 14 and 15 yr old 7th graders in teh coming future.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In speaking with a NKY middle school basketball coach last night I was informed that a By-Law was recently voted on to allow kids who fail academically the ability to participate in athletics the following year. He was amazed that it was brought up for vote let alone that it passed with a 12-5 vote in favor of changing the By-Law.

This is an absolute joke IMO. Last I checked athletics was a privelage and not a right. It basically tells kids that athletics are more important than getting good grades. The sad thing was that the A.D of a NKY school who actually was heading up the meeting was putting emphasis on making sure they voted right then and there. Let me guess, his school probably has a couple of kids who failed and who want to play basketball again as 7th or 8th graders. :lol:

I understand that some kids might have health issues and repeat a grade but this is essentially telling the ones that get bad grades, its ok, just come back next year and you will get the same privelages.

So basically not only are we telling the kids that there are no consequences for their failure but we are also telling our 12 and 13 yr old sons and daughters that they may be playing against 14 and 15 yr old 7th graders in teh coming future.

Bad ,bad policy .

I was under the understanding that the grades needed to be keep up in order to play sports. Not a good policy at all.:confused:

I may be wrong, been a while since I checked but I thought KHSAA ByLaw5 stated, that student-athletes in grades 1-8, must be passing 2/3's of the subjects, they are currently enrolled in.

There are additional requirements, of minimum credit hours and passing at least, 4hrs of 6hrs, in 9-12, I believe.

Not sure how a local school system, can create a policy which has less standards, than the KHSAA, regarding MS participation.

I'll just repeat what everyone else has said. If you fail a grade, maybe you should spend less time on sports and more time on the books.
Without question and most Coaches, will not/should never tolerate, inadequacies in the classroom.

I may be wrong, been a while since I checked but I thought KHSAA ByLaw5 stated, that student-athletes in grades 1-8, must be passing 2/3's of the subjects, they are currently enrolled in.

There are additional requirements, of minimum credit hours and passing at least, 4hrs of 6hrs, in 9-12, I believe.

Not sure how a local school system, can create a policy which has less standards, than the KHSAA, regarding MS participation.

MS participation is not governed by the KHSAA. ONly if a MS students plays on the HS team does the rules apply to them. There is no minumum requirement for MS students to play on the MS teams by the KHSAA.

For instance, If a 7th grader plays up on a HS team they can only play that one year as a 7th grader. If they fail then they can not play for the HS the next year as a 7th grader. But there is no regulation saying they can't play MS again as a 7th grader.

KHSAA does not have say so in MS athletics UNLESS those athletes are playing on the HS level. I assumed from the post that this is for ONLY the NKY MS league.

And btw, horrible decision. BUT,

If they fail a grade are they not allowed to be in band? Chorus? Science club? WWJD? Any of the other non-athletic extracurricular activities? Why is athletics held to a different standard than all the other extracurricular activities? One F at a MS and you could be ineligible for athletics but continue right on in the other extracurricular activities.

The facts here are not completely straight.

Someone could easily be passing 2/3's of their subject during the athletic season (fall and winter sports) and still fail for the year.

Also, if they are passing a bylaw like this, then they should add that the student only gets 3 total years of eligibility at the middle school level (considering the school is 6 through 8).

Hey, at my school when I was in 7th grade, because of the low priority the general populace in my home county placed on academics, we had to play dodgeball against 16- and 17-year-olds. Maybe these middle school kids you speak of just need to get tougher! :D

In all seriousness, I agree with pretty much everyone else. If they're failing in class, they shouldn't be out between the lines representing the school.

KHSAA does not have say so in MS athletics UNLESS those athletes are playing on the HS level. I assumed from the post that this is for ONLY the NKY MS league.

And btw, horrible decision. BUT,

If they fail a grade are they not allowed to be in band? Chorus? Science club? WWJD? Any of the other non-athletic extracurricular activities? Why is athletics held to a different standard than all the other extracurricular activities? One F at a MS and you could be ineligible for athletics but continue right on in the other extracurricular activities.

Right, but they shouldn't be allowed to participate in those other extracurricular activities either. However, the likelihood of this happening with chorus or band kids is pretty miniscule in comparison to the abuses of academics that go on in the name of sports.