Vaughn Taylor wins at Pebble Beach

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Posts
    5,816

    Vaughn Taylor wins at Pebble Beach

    Very happy for Vaughn Taylor. The guy has not won in more than 10 years until he won at Pebble Beach today coming from way back on Sunday. It was nice to see his wife's reaction - she was actually crying. There are so many guys on the PGA tour just trying to eek out a living. He actually said in the presser after his round today he was just trying to finish in the top 10 today so he would not have to play in the Monday qualifier at Riviera tomorrow. Him winning today truly changed his life and I find that very cool. He is now exempt and can play in any tournament the next two years, can play all the majors this year, will play in the Tournament of Champions next year in Hawaii and can now plan out his schedule without worrying about qualifying or getting a sponsor's exemption each week to play. Winning over a mil is not a bad deal either. Listening to him talking about how he almost gave up the game and did not know if he could ever win again and how his wife has been so positive during the long drought just made me very happy for both of them...congrats to Vaughn Taylor...
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    61,555

    Great story, very happy for the guy.

  3. #3
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Now he'll be trying to get ready for Augusta, loved it. Man what a gag on the up and down on 18 for Phil.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    right here at my desk
    Posts
    919

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    Now he'll be trying to get ready for Augusta, loved it. Man what a gag on the up and down on 18 for Phil.
    Phil being Phil .....

    Congrats to Vaughn...great story.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,074

    He's won over 14 million dollars in his career, cool story, but let's not get too wrapped up in poor ole Vaughn.

  6. #6
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    7,145

    Quote Originally Posted by Bench View Post
    He's won over 14 million dollars in his career, cool story, but let's not get too wrapped up in poor ole Vaughn.
    Yea....but he had to play a lot of golf to get that 14 mio. What could you be thinking?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Posts
    5,816

    Quote Originally Posted by Bench View Post
    He's won over 14 million dollars in his career, cool story, but let's not get too wrapped up in poor ole Vaughn.
    Hot wife too...it could be worse for Vaughn...I will grant you that.

  8. #8
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,521

    Quote Originally Posted by Bench View Post
    He's won over 14 million dollars in his career, cool story, but let's not get too wrapped up in poor ole Vaughn.
    Any idea what a pro golfers expenses are related to playing on the tour? Travel, hotels, ect... Just wondering how it compares to what these guys make.

  9. #9
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    7,145

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    Any idea what a pro golfers expenses are related to playing on the tour? Travel, hotels, ect... Just wondering how it compares to what these guys make.
    These guys have agents, coaches, caddies, accountants, lawyers, etc. to pay as well, so they are a small business. However, it is a lucrative professional for those at the PGA tour level and can compete and win 14 mio over a few years. There is other income as well from sponsorships, appearances, etc. Having said that, those who can compete at that level are very special.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Posts
    5,816

    Quote Originally Posted by doomer View Post
    These guys have agents, coaches, caddies, accountants, lawyers, etc. to pay as well, so they are a small business. However, it is a lucrative professional for those at the PGA tour level and can compete and win 14 mio over a few years. There is other income as well from sponsorships, appearances, etc. Having said that, those who can compete at that level are very special.
    Casual fans DO NOT realize how good these guys are. They are the top 100-200 in the world. Think about that. 6 billion people in the world and they are the top 100-200. The courses they play are all set up very tough and they still tear them up usually. The commercials are right..."these guys are good"...

    It also takes a special mental toughness to play on tour, no matter how talented you are. You cannot call time out or come out of the game if you are playing bad. If things start going south, you still have to finish the round no matter how badly it is going. Heck, Spieth almost shot an 80 last week...

  11. #11
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    7,145

    Quote Originally Posted by ggclfan View Post
    Casual fans DO NOT realize how good these guys are. They are the top 100-200 in the world. Think about that. 6 billion people in the world and they are the top 100-200. The courses they play are all set up very tough and they still tear them up usually. The commercials are right..."these guys are good"...

    It also takes a special mental toughness to play on tour, no matter how talented you are. You cannot call time out or come out of the game if you are playing bad. If things start going south, you still have to finish the round no matter how badly it is going. Heck, Spieth almost shot an 80 last week...
    Except for John Daly.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Posts
    5,816

    Quote Originally Posted by doomer View Post
    Except for John Daly.
    He IS the exception that makes the rule...lol...

    I will never forget him smacking his ball with his putter when it was rolling on the green and walking off the course...classic

Top