United States Soccer

Page 155 of Originally Posted by dolamite Either way it looks as if the squad will be in good hands without Howard manning the backline. We're the USA. If nothing ... 2322 comments | 88093 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #2311
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    13,466

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    It's very simple...rich talented kids can play select. Poor talented kids cannot. You're alienating about 80% of your talented players by forcing them to pay $2,000-4,000 a year.
    I'm not for a moment suggesting there aren't major issues, just pointing out that "Select soccer is terrible for our youth development" is probably over-simplifying it.

    I also don't think for a moment that a rush of "inner city kids" are going to give up Basketball (and their dream of playing in the NBA and being the next LeBron) to commit 10+ hours a week to soccer. I know of a local club that has given out MANY full scholarships to talented young players who otherwise couldn't have played, and in 100% of those cases over the last 4 years, the kids have quit at some point the first season before it was completed.

    To lay the entirety of USA Soccer's development issues at the feet of "Select Soccer" is, to be kind, misguided.
    Advertisement

  2. #2312
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    50,840

    Quote Originally Posted by MentschTrachtGottLacht View Post
    I'm not for a moment suggesting there aren't major issues, just pointing out that "Select soccer is terrible for our youth development" is probably over-simplifying it.

    I also don't think for a moment that a rush of "inner city kids" are going to give up Basketball (and their dream of playing in the NBA and being the next LeBron) to commit 10+ hours a week to soccer. I know of a local club that has given out MANY full scholarships to talented young players who otherwise couldn't have played, and in 100% of those cases over the last 4 years, the kids have quit at some point the first season before it was completed.

    To lay the entirety of USA Soccer's development issues at the feet of "Select Soccer" is, to be kind, misguided.
    Im' in no way laying all of USA Soccer's issues on youth soccer. I'm just saying that there's a problem there.

  3. #2313
    4chs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 03
    Location
    Corbin/Whitley Co.
    Posts
    10,322

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    Im' in no way laying all of USA Soccer's issues on youth soccer. I'm just saying that there's a problem there.
    From my dealings with youth club teams and ODP, there seems to be a Country Club type culture, which some kids just are not comfortable with. This does not even take into account the money and time required to participate.

  4. #2314
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    50,840

    Quote Originally Posted by 4chs View Post
    From my dealings with youth club teams and ODP, there seems to be a Country Club type culture, which some kids just are not comfortable with. This does not even take into account the money and time required to participate.
    I would agree for the most part.

  5. #2315
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    50,840

    @usatodaysports
    Trinidad and Tobago player calls out USMNT: "They learned their lesson today.” USMNT: Trinidad and Tobago have some harsh words for U.S. soccer

  6. #2316
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    6,317

    I tend to agree with @Wireman that the select soccer phenomena in the US hurts the development of the country as a whole. But then again how do you compete with countries like Spain and Germany who identify talent at a young age rich or poor and get them into academies? I'm not sure the structure of US sports in general lends to this type of program. I'm not sold on the US ever being able to compete internationally. I don't ever see the "country club" model leaving over here either.

  7. #2317
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    50,840

    I'm also suspicious about some of the motives of select coaches but that's a different discussion.

  8. #2318
    TAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    14,409

    Will this help or hurt the hype for FC Cincy's team?

  9. #2319
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    60,419

    Quote Originally Posted by TAC View Post
    Will this help or hurt the hype for FC Cincy's team?
    Zero impact.

  10. #2320

    Join Date
    Aug 10
    Posts
    2,548

    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    It's almost 12 hours later and I'm more furious than I was before I went to sleep.

    If we don't start seeing massive changes in US Soccer in the next couple years, I'm out on these guys. The MLS teams are finally starting to have academies and that's a nice start; it should be the beginning of the end of pay to play youth soccer.

    The next coach is a huge area of concern. Arena was exactly what Sunil Gulati and the USSF wanted: an MLS guy. Tonight's lineup was Pulisic, Yedlin and the MLS all stars... and they weren't anywhere NEAR good enough. We should expect more from our biggest professional league and we should expect more from the national team.

    Whatever. Club over country, every time.

    Go Lou City.
    Arena was a clear step down when we let Klinsmann go. I will say I was and still am a supporter of Jurgen because like him or not he tried to play a more aggressive style and to help advance the US game. He also put a priority on players playing on good teams in good leagues. Heck he had big reservations for US players coming home to play in the MLS. The USMNT should not have to walk hand in hand with MLS nor should it be used to promote it and its players. We should field the best team we can using the players we believe to be the best for it from any league. This may seem a little like I’m rambling but like many of you, last night angered me.

    Bruce Arena needs to be let go now. Our tactics and play have regressed under him and have not advanced or taken another step forward. Gulati IMO also needs to go because he got the guy he wanted in Arena to help promote the MLS and be the mouthpiece for it and that is not what the USMNT is about. We need to clean house and re-evaluate everything and everyone and that starts from the very top.

  11. #2321
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    50,840

    @eddie_johnson7
    "Get rid of pay to play" its a lot of kids like me in this country that couldn't afford to play that are waiting for opportunities ����

  12. #2322
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    50,840

    @ussoccer
    NEWS: Bruce Arena has resigned as #USMNT head coach » Bruce Arena Resigns as U.S. Men's National Team Head Coach - U.S. Soccer

  13. #2323
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Atop Meneltarma, in Numenor, looking to the West...
    Posts
    21,727

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    @ussoccer
    NEWS: Bruce Arena has resigned as #USMNT head coach » Bruce Arena Resigns as U.S. Men's National Team Head Coach - U.S. Soccer
    One down, his boss to go...

Top