United States Soccer

Page 152 of Originally Posted by dolamite Either way it looks as if the squad will be in good hands without Howard manning the backline. We're the USA. If nothing ... 2274 comments | 85841 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #2266
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    50,446

    Panama up 2-0 late. The USMNT blew it with these last 2 games. They are officially going to be in 4th place now. And Honduras is still in contention to eliminate them totally. This is unbelievable.
    Advertisement

  2. #2267
    4chs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 03
    Location
    Corbin/Whitley Co.
    Posts
    10,269

    When you start Zusi, Gonzales and Beasley, you're not really that good. Add to that a couple of timid midfielders and a hostile environment and the US was lucky to get out of there with 1 point.

  3. #2268
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Atop Meneltarma, in Numenor, looking to the West...
    Posts
    21,603

    Quote Originally Posted by 4chs View Post
    When you start Zusi, Gonzales and Beasley, you're not really that good. Add to that a couple of timid midfielders and a hostile environment and the US was lucky to get out of there with 1 point.
    No plan for the next crop of defenders. With Yedlin out, Arena had basically nothing.

    Heck, there has to be some dude playing in USL or NASL more suited to outside back than an aging Graham Zusi and DeMarcus Beasley.

    I'm glad for what both of them have done for American soccer, but it's time to go enjoy the stud farm now, fellas.

  4. #2269
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Atop Meneltarma, in Numenor, looking to the West...
    Posts
    21,603

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    A 1-1 draw? Wow.

    I haven't watched yet but wow. What does this mean for qualifying now?
    Win. Just win. Home game against Panama and away to T&T. Any other cycle and I'd have said we were sure to get six there.

    I'm nervous.

  5. #2270
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    50,446

    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    Win. Just win. Home game against Panama and away to T&T. Any other cycle and I'd have said we were sure to get six there.

    I'm nervous.
    I believe they will likely get in (but not guaranteed) with a win and a draw but they really need to win those two games.

  6. #2271
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Atop Meneltarma, in Numenor, looking to the West...
    Posts
    21,603

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    I believe they will likely get in (but not guaranteed) with a win and a draw but they really need to win those two games.
    I just want to avoid the playoff. We should be better than Australia or Syria, but I have no interest in a two-leg playoff at this point.

  7. #2272
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    50,446

    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    I just want to avoid the playoff. We should be better than Australia or Syria, but I have no interest in a two-leg playoff at this point.
    I would be interested under normal circumstances but I want no part of our World Cup hopes resting on a two-game series vs. anyone

    We really need to take care of business in October. And keep in mind, there's still a scenario were they could finish 5th

  8. #2273

    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    14,761

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    A 1-1 draw? Wow.

    I haven't watched yet but wow. What does this mean for qualifying now?
    Last cycle they lost in Honduras. I figured that they would be hard pressed to win.

  9. #2274
    DukeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Location
    Northern Virginia/Harrisonburg via Hebron
    Posts
    30

    Panama is going to go all out against us. Remember in 2013 where we had already qualified and traveled to Panama, and all they had to do was win and they'd get the playoff spot. Panama was up 2-1 going into stoppage time, but we scored two goals in stoppage time to deny them a shot at the WC and instead gave the playoff to... Mexico.

    They will definitely be out for revenge.

  10. #2275
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    50,446

    I'm sure 137-year old Blas Perez will manage to score a goal or two.

Top