Early favorites and surprises for The Preakness

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 07
    Posts
    7,275

    Early favorites and surprises for The Preakness

    Who would you put in a trifecta box for this race as of now? Is Frosted sitting this one out?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    7,015

    Only three in the field at present: AP, Divining Rod and Bodhisattva. Pick them all to place and we can't lose!!

  3. #3
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    In Lothlorien, where the trees bore flowers of gold and no evil thing ever dared come.
    Posts
    22,769

    Dortmund and Firing Line said to be pointing that way as well.

    Pletcher is supposedly aiming both Materiality and Carpe Diem at Pimlico and even more likely is his winner of the Pat Day Mile on the Derby undercard, Competitive Edge.

    International Star is out, which is a bummer. The sore foot that scratched him on Derby Day has turned out to be a chip in his ankle that will require surgery.

  4. #4
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    In Lothlorien, where the trees bore flowers of gold and no evil thing ever dared come.
    Posts
    22,769

    AP is going to go off at even money.

  5. #5
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    In Lothlorien, where the trees bore flowers of gold and no evil thing ever dared come.
    Posts
    22,769

    Based on the horses I think will go as of right now, if I were handicapping...

    AP is a sure-fire "A".

    I don't bet any exotics without one of Dortmund or Firing Line being in there as well. I can see one of these other horses sneaking in but not any two such that both of them would be kept out of the money.

    Competitive Edge is unbeaten but somewhat untested. Haven't seen the PPs on him yet but a son of past Derby winner Super Saver out of an AP Indy mare so the bloodlines are there and he absolutely ran away from the field on Saturday.

    Give me... AP-Dortmund-Competitive Edge out of this group so far.

  6. #6
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    In Lothlorien, where the trees bore flowers of gold and no evil thing ever dared come.
    Posts
    22,769

    Read in the C-J this morning that the connections for Lexington Stakes winner Divining Rod are pointing him toward the Preakness as well.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 07
    Posts
    7,275

    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    Read in the C-J this morning that the connections for Lexington Stakes winner Divining Rod are pointing him toward the Preakness as well.
    Is he a serious contender?

  8. #8
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    In Lothlorien, where the trees bore flowers of gold and no evil thing ever dared come.
    Posts
    22,769

    Quote Originally Posted by All In View Post
    Is he a serious contender?
    Meh.

    The field in the Lexington was far from outstanding and Divining Rod ran third in the Tampa Bay Derby to eventual Bluegrass Stakes winner (and Derby Day disaster) Carpe Diem as well as Ami's Flatter. I remember watching that race but almost nothing about it.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Posts
    999

    The updated Preakness field as of now. Obviously subject to change. Post positions have not been drawn yet.

    Grand Bili 50-1
    Mr. Z 33-1
    Bodhisattva 40-1
    Tale of Verve 50-1
    Standford 40-1
    Divining Rod 22-1
    Danzig Moon 20-1
    Carpe Diem 12-1
    Firing Line 5-1
    Materiallity 16-1
    American Pharoah 5-6
    Competitive Edge 14-1
    Dortmund 6-1

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Posts
    999

    Quote Originally Posted by JAIL BIRD View Post
    The updated Preakness field as of now. Obviously subject to change. Post positions have not been drawn yet.

    Grand Bili 50-1
    Mr. Z 33-1
    Bodhisattva 40-1
    Tale of Verve 50-1
    Standford 40-1
    Divining Rod 22-1
    Danzig Moon 20-1
    Carpe Diem 12-1
    Firing Line 5-1
    Materiallity 16-1
    American Pharoah 5-6
    Competitive Edge 14-1
    Dortmund 6-1
    Preakness update. Trainer Todd Pleacher pulls Carpe Diem, Materiality, Competetive Edge and Standford out of the Preakness effective 5-12-15.

  11. #11
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,419

    So the Preakness will have 7 horses or something?

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Posts
    999

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    So the Preakness will have 7 horses or something?
    Something like that. With a short field, not much money to be made. The experts say that AP odds went from 5-6 to 5-8. In other words, for every $8 you bet to win, you get your $8 back with $5 added.

  13. #13
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,419

    Mr. Z, who finished a troubled 13th in the May 2 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), has been entered in the Xpressbet.com Preakness Stakes (gr. I) and will run in the colors of Calumet Farm.

    Trainer D. Wayne Lukas said the paperwork was being processed that would transfer ownership of the Malibu Moon colt from Zayat Stables to Calumet. Calumet owns Oxbow , the 2013 Preakness winner.


    Mr. Z Bought by Calumet, Entered in Preakness | BloodHorse.com

  14. #14
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    In Lothlorien, where the trees bore flowers of gold and no evil thing ever dared come.
    Posts
    22,769

    I don't think much of Carpe Diem after his horrible run in the Derby, but I definitely wish Materiality and Competitive Edge had entered.

    If they could find a way to get the Preakness field back up to at least 10 horses, it would be a much better event. Don't know how.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Posts
    999

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    Mr. Z, who finished a troubled 13th in the May 2 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), has been entered in the Xpressbet.com Preakness Stakes (gr. I) and will run in the colors of Calumet Farm.

    Trainer D. Wayne Lukas said the paperwork was being processed that would transfer ownership of the Malibu Moon colt from Zayat Stables to Calumet. Calumet owns Oxbow , the 2013 Preakness winner.


    Mr. Z Bought by Calumet, Entered in Preakness | BloodHorse.com
    Mr. Z also ran in the Arkanas Derby chasing AP and finished a fading 3rd.

Top