Does Cincinnati have $100M to spend on ANOTHER stadium?

Page 3 of Cincinnati, Home Of Terrible Stadium Deals, Is Being Extorted For A New MLS Stadium Just over 30,000 people filled Nippert Stadium last week to watch F... 65 comments | 1768 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    17,668

    MLS is a farce, making new teams have new stadiums, while other teams move into stadiums with other pro teams in them, makes sense, might as well gouge as much as possible. Whats that stadium doing in Columbus for the crew, not a darn thing, and the team is about to leave. Farce.
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    7,482

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    MLS is a farce, making new teams have new stadiums, while other teams move into stadiums with other pro teams in them, makes sense, might as well gouge as much as possible. Whats that stadium doing in Columbus for the crew, not a darn thing, and the team is about to leave. Farce.
    The Crew are probably leaving because the city won't build them a new stadium downtown.

  3. #33
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    17,668

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    The Crew are probably leaving because the city won't build them a new stadium downtown.
    They just built that one, and they want another one, greedy MLS teams, all fronted by the farce MLS league they are in.

  4. #34
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    30,162

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    The Crew are probably leaving because the city won't build them a new stadium downtown.
    That [I]is[/] pretty crazy...like plantmanky said, it's a pretty new stadium. It was completed in '99 specifically for the team, and met the MLS's requirements at that time. It may be a mile or two north of downtown, proper, but geographically it sits basically smack dab in the center of the I-270 loop.

    I've heard plenty of talk about the Crew franchise moving to another market, and I really don't know much of the reasoning behind the potential move, but if the stadium is the primary complaint, then the MLS is showing some more-than-poor colors.

    That said, I just don't see the Crew hanging on if Cincinnati gets a MLS nod. I've been to a couple Crew matches, and the stadium was only at about a third capacity for both. With Cincinnati drawing the crowds it has, I would have to think it would be a major blow to the Crew.

    Is there any real chance that FCC and LCFC both make the MLS in the same expansion?

  5. #35
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    7,482

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    They just built that one, and they want another one, greedy MLS teams, all fronted by the farce MLS league they are in.
    Yep. People in Columbus are conflicted. They want to keep the Crew obviously, but they hate the ownership group for giving them this ultimatum. It's ridiculous.

  6. #36
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    7,482

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    That [I]is[/] pretty crazy...like plantmanky said, it's a pretty new stadium. It was completed in '99 specifically for the team, and met the MLS's requirements at that time. It may be a mile or two north of downtown, proper, but geographically it sits basically smack dab in the center of the I-270 loop.

    I've heard plenty of talk about the Crew franchise moving to another market, and I really don't know much of the reasoning behind the potential move, but if the stadium is the primary complaint, then the MLS is showing some more-than-poor colors.

    That said, I just don't see the Crew hanging on if Cincinnati gets a MLS nod. I've been to a couple Crew matches, and the stadium was only at about a third capacity for both. With Cincinnati drawing the crowds it has, I would have to think it would be a major blow to the Crew.

    Is there any real chance that FCC and LCFC both make the MLS in the same expansion?
    Yeah the ownership of the Crew sucks. They will not get a new stadium. The city will never pay for it. I don't think there is much hope for them honestly, I expect them to be gone.

  7. #37
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Atop Meneltarma, in Numenor, looking to the West...
    Posts
    21,804

    The Crew situation is unique as a possible move to Austin was literally written into the deal when Precourt bought the team. They're also steamrolling the USL team scheduled to start play in Austin next season to do it.

    Things like that make me wonder how much longer this MLS/USL partnership has in it. It's been mutually beneficial to this point but I think some folks at the main office are starting to see it more one-sided than they'd like.

  8. #38
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    60,769

    Seeing a lot of thought that the reason this was announced and done is that MLS basically assured Lindner they'll get a team if they figure out the stadium issue...Makes sense with the timing of it.

  9. #39
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    60,769

    And Hamilton County's proposal is to use Paul Brown Stadium...That's not going to cut it.

    Newport it is.

  10. #40
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    71,034

    So how many games a year are we talking here? How much money are they asking for infrastructure improvements?

  11. #41
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    60,769

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    So how many games a year are we talking here? How much money are they asking for infrastructure improvements?
    $75M

  12. #42

    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Location
    the Indo
    Posts
    9,681

    This press conference is almost a slap in FCC's face.

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Location
    the Indo
    Posts
    9,681

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    $75M
    They're willing to build 1 parking garage in Oakley as plan B...

  14. #44
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    60,769

    Quote Originally Posted by PutMeInCoach View Post
    They're willing to build 1 parking garage in Oakley as plan B...
    Yep. Because a 1,000 car garage is going to cover the infrastructure.

  15. #45
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    71,034

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    $75M
    And then yearly maintenance. How many games a year would be in the stadium roughly? It would have to be a pretty decent number to make it worth that.

Top