2019 Preakness

  1. #1
    newarkcatholicfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Buckeye Lake, Ohio
    Posts
    41,988

    2019 Preakness

    My Picks
    W- Alwaysmining
    PL-Bourbon War
    SH- Improbable
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    10,768

    War of Will with a big win. Is he the best 3-year old at the present time?

  3. #3
    newarkcatholicfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Buckeye Lake, Ohio
    Posts
    41,988

    Quote Originally Posted by newarkcatholicfan View Post
    My Picks
    W- Alwaysmining
    PL-Bourbon War
    SH- Improbable
    Alwaysmining 11TH
    Bourbon War 8TH
    Improbable 6TH

  4. #4
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    32,170

    Quote Originally Posted by tcjkbt View Post
    War of Will with a big win. Is he the best 3-year old at the present time?
    He may have won the Derby if Maximum Security had not fouled him. He was the horse that really got messed with when Maximum Security took the hard right.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    4,298

    Sure hate to see Maxium Security not running. Could have been a whaleof a story if he hd won both the Preakness and Belmont. Sadly the owner claimed nothing to run for once the Triple Crown was not a possibility. Just hollow vapors. He has blamed everyone but the reality of a totally inadvertant foul by his horse. The rules of racing in Ky are very explicit and he agreed in advance to abide by them. Stewards deision is final with no appeal. Just feel he robbed us all of a great comeback story. Maximum Security appeared to be best horse on Derby Day; however, War of Will's Preakness performance certainly puts shade on that conclusion.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    10,768

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldercoach View Post
    Sure hate to see Maxium Security not running. Could have been a whaleof a story if he hd won both the Preakness and Belmont. Sadly the owner claimed nothing to run for once the Triple Crown was not a possibility. Just hollow vapors. He has blamed everyone but the reality of a totally inadvertant foul by his horse. The rules of racing in Ky are very explicit and he agreed in advance to abide by them. Stewards deision is final with no appeal. Just feel he robbed us all of a great comeback story. Maximum Security appeared to be best horse on Derby Day; however, War of Will's Preakness performance certainly puts shade on that conclusion.
    Very well stated, Oldercoach.

  7. #7
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    7,079

    Quote Originally Posted by tcjkbt View Post
    War of Will with a big win. Is he the best 3-year old at the present time?
    I was so happy to see him win. It was a great outcome for the sport given all the mess from the Derby. However, we haven't seen Omaha Beach lately due to illness, and Maximum Security is a very good horse, and very possibly could have held off War of Will in the Derby, but we will never know.

    Also, 3 year olds are still babies and physically developing. There may be others that hit their stride later in the year.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    4,298

    Quote Originally Posted by doomer View Post
    I was so happy to see him win. It was a great outcome for the sport given all the mess from the Derby. However, we haven't seen Omaha Beach lately due to illness, and Maximum Security is a very good horse, and very possibly could have held off War of Will in the Derby, but we will never know.

    Also, 3 year olds are still babies and physically developing. There may be others that hit their stride later in the year.
    To that youth point, have heard Maximum Security was a May colt (fact, or not?). If true that means he is 3-4 months younger than the norm February birthdate, and means a lot in his developement. Might explain his sporadic behavior rounding that last turn his jockey attributed to being spooked by the crowd noise.

  9. #9
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    7,079

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldercoach View Post
    To that youth point, have heard Maximum Security was a May colt (fact, or not?). If true that means he is 3-4 months younger than the norm February birthdate, and means a lot in his developement. Might explain his sporadic behavior rounding that last turn his jockey attributed to being spooked by the crowd noise.
    Good point...he was a mid-May foal so he just turned three. That’s a lot to take in as a youngster. In that case, it is possible his dam did not get fertilized during an earlier breeding trip (or two).

Top