Attention Bluegrassprepers!

Page 6 of Originally posted by topgun Did'nt realize how bad misspelled words effected you guys. I am one who has been bad for it in the past. Usually its in a d... 164 comments | 10323 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #76
    leatherneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 01
    Posts
    10,828

    I love this idea. We were seeing more and more posts that look like the messages my sons send on Instant Messenger, which are unintelligible (intentionally I understand) to adults. I do proof my posts before I hit the send botton, and then generally re-proof them once I have posted. Frankly I get very embarrassed when I see that I have typed something that is misspelled or has improper punctuation because I know some of you know what I do for a living and know me personally. If you have to type so quickly that you cannot take the time to spell words correctly or proof read your post before you send it, you probably have not thought the post through thoroughly enough. Actually as I was proof reading this post I caught several misspelled words.
    Advertisement

  2. #77
    nWo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Richmond,KY
    Posts
    40,672

    Originally posted by NEWCATH84
    Is there anyway to hook up a spell check on BGP?
    What I do is copy and paste the word or sometimes the whole post to Microsoft Word and let the spellchecker on it check it out.

  3. #78
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    151,593

    I heard that lneck, you sure have to watch that old send botton!

  4. #79

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Mark "Bo" Pelini was born 6 weeks premature. He designed a blitz to help him escape from his mother's uterus early.
    Posts
    11,984

    Since this new rule is in affect will Bgp start offering online english classes for members. How would you like hearing people say Professor Guru or Professor Old Bird.

  5. #80
    airman1545's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    Lexignton, KY
    Posts
    142


  6. #81

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Posts
    51

    This is probably a good rule, but for my sake I don't spell very well. Let me just say this......"Keep your customers happy!!!" Someone said on here, not mentioning any names, said something to the effect, "Spelling makes the opinion valid or not". What is wrong with this scenario?

  7. #82
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    151,593

    Originally posted by fanofbreathitt
    This is probably a good rule, but for my sake I don't spell very well. Let me just say this......"Keep your customers happy!!!" Someone said on here, not mentioning any names, said something to the effect, "Spelling makes the opinion valid or not". What is wrong with this scenario?
    I think this rule will make the majority of our customers happy.

    I don't know if valid is the right word but remember, perception is often reality.

  8. #83

    Join Date
    Jul 01
    Location
    Beautiful Lake Cumberland
    Posts
    5,234

    Since we are on a correct spelling crusade,,,,,Could a mod or the GURU change my user name to it's correct spelling???????

  9. #84

    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Time and Relaive Dimensions in Space
    Posts
    16,904

    Originally posted by cammando
    Since we are on a correct spelling crusade,,,,,Could a mod or the GURU change my user name to it's correct spelling???????

  10. #85
    REFEREE41056's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 03
    Location
    THE SPACE BETWEEN
    Posts
    429

    I have two points to make here. I will get to those in a minute. I probably hold the record for most suspensions among active users, but I feel the need to express my opinion on this matter.

    1. I totaly agree with this new rule 100%. I can not count the times i've given up on a post because it appeared to me that the postee was unconscious. Great rule!


    2. This is where i get into trouble. I don't agree with they way that regular users are treated when they disagree with a mod or guru. In this post alone I could see a user that did'nt like this rule and showed a strong dislike for the rule. These posters were simply defending his or her point of view and was almost immediately threatened with suspension. I believe if a person is good enough to give their ten dollars then it should not matter what level the user reads and writes on 3rd grade or college level. I don't believe one posters grammar effects the pride of this web site it effects the poster. If that poster does not have a problem with lokking like an idiot then so be. What's with the whole deal of having to explain your posts or smilies? It's like you are being interogated for puttting slleping smilies on the post by itself and then having to explain it to a mod.

    extra point- I think the rules on this site are great, but we should not have lick boot heels in order to continue to use the site. I may be the first one to make a statement like this, but I am not the only one thinking it and maybe that is how it should've stayed.

    "In order to lead a symphony someone has to turn their back to the crowd"

  11. #86
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    151,593

    Ref,

    If someone wants to be critical that is fine, all I ask that they do so in an email to me at theguru@fuse.net

    And nobody has to lick boot heels to post on this site, all they need to do is agree to follow the rules.

  12. #87
    PurpleHaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Location
    Bowling Green
    Posts
    5,451

    I think its an excellent rule, and it's high time we came to something like this. Look at it this way: First of all, athletics are not the main reason why we have schools. Shocking, but TRUE!! The reason why we have schools is to educate our young people so that they can have a decent shot at making it in life after high school. One of those tools you're taught is the use of the English language.

    Second, remember that Kentuckians are not the only folks who read these posts. Kentucky already has a bad enough reputation for educating its students. Don't make it worse by posting a whole embarrassing nest of errors!! Make up your mind to use the tools you're taught in school and make a good example on here!

    Third, it should be a matter of pride and self perception as to how you use the English language. Take some pride when you post here...it is glaring when you don't or just don't care!! That's totally different from the occasional mistake, typo, or absence of punctuation. We all get in a hurry sometimes, or we're excited and just don't have the ability to get it all right because of that. Trust me, gang...guru understands that! So do us Moderators. We are cracking down on the posts laced with all kinds of mistakes.

    Fourth, think about it...when you make a complete mess of a post, it looks real bad on all of us, and it looks real bad for BGP. And a whole bunch of them REALLY looks bad on guru since he's the merry ringleader here!!

    My wife received the bulk of her education in Washington State. She'll say something to me similar to this: "I was like WOW!!" I then ask her what being like wow is like!! She wants to grab something real heavy and lob it toward my head. That's okay...I'll put Bowling Green High up against ANY of their schools academically!! I take great pride in my education at BGHS, and I hope it shows!! But remember, if you post a ton of errors, it is saying something negative about the school you attended. Fair or not, that is the message sent and/or perceived!

    A little extra effort on your posts before you click the button will not kill any of you, and it will reflect much more favorably upon you, the school you attended or are attending, and this website!


  13. #88
    CHS_2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Location
    "If you can dream it, you can achieve it"
    Posts
    1,916

    Originally posted by PurpleHaze
    I think its an excellent rule, and it's high time we came to something like this. Look at it this way: First of all, athletics are not the main reason why we have schools. Shocking, but TRUE!! The reason why we have schools is to educate our young people so that they can have a decent shot at making it in life after high school. One of those tools you're taught is the use of the English language.

    Second, remember that Kentuckians are not the only folks who read these posts. Kentucky already has a bad enough reputation for educating its students. Don't make it worse by posting a whole embarrassing nest of errors!! Make up your mind to use the tools you're taught in school and make a good example on here!

    Third, it should be a matter of pride and self perception as to how you use the English language. Take some pride when you post here...it is glaring when you don't or just don't care!! That's totally different from the occasional mistake, typo, or absence of punctuation. We all get in a hurry sometimes, or we're excited and just don't have the ability to get it all right because of that. Trust me, gang...guru understands that! So do us Moderators. We are cracking down on the posts laced with all kinds of mistakes.

    Fourth, think about it...when you make a complete mess of a post, it looks real bad on all of us, and it looks real bad for BGP. And a whole bunch of them REALLY looks bad on guru since he's the merry ringleader here!!

    My wife received the bulk of her education in Washington State. She'll say something to me similar to this: "I was like WOW!!" I then ask her what being like wow is like!! She wants to grab something real heavy and lob it toward my head. That's okay...I'll put Bowling Green High up against ANY of their schools academically!! I take great pride in my education at BGHS, and I hope it shows!! But remember, if you post a ton of errors, it is saying something negative about the school you attended. Fair or not, that is the message sent and/or perceived!

    A little extra effort on your posts before you click the button will not kill any of you, and it will reflect much more favorably upon you, the school you attended or are attending, and this website!


    Very well said PurpleHaze!!!

  14. #89

    Join Date
    Apr 01
    Location
    Coshocton, Ohio
    Posts
    30

    Way to go "theguru"...I agree that this is a great idea...speaking from thousands of experiences!!

  15. #90
    PurpleHaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Location
    Bowling Green
    Posts
    5,451

    Thanx a bunch, CHS!!

    By the way, folks...I DO know how to spell "thanks", but the way I spell it is simply a trademark of my posts and emails.

Top