Vegas is Bogus

Page 5 of It gets on my nerves that people talk like "Vegas" is filled with geniuses and is all knowing. Any time a game ends up one point either side ... 81 comments | 3069 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #61

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    584

    Quote Originally Posted by littleluck55 View Post
    In his defense, he did say maybe 1% of the time and the two examples you have shown proves it’s less than 1% of time. At least on the number of games that have spreads.
    Now you're wrong too. Initially he said colleges lines NEVER move anywhere close to 7-10 points. I provided two examples of lines moving that much AND there were multiple other line movements of 6 points (which I would say is "anywhere close" to 7) but I'll leave that out. Also, there is nowhere near 100 lined games per week so it is much more than 1%.
    Advertisement

  2. #62
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    21,129

    Speaking of Vegas the public must be betting on the Jaguars because that line has went from 9.5 to 7.5.

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    584

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet16 View Post
    Speaking of Vegas the public must be betting on the Jaguars because that line has went from 9.5 to 7.5.
    Just a reaction to the Brady hand injury. Vegas correcting the line, not the public betting.

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,347

    Vegas got crushed last night with the Eagles winning. Not to mention they had the Eagles as an underdog in all three playoff games. Maybe these guys aren't so smart.....

  5. #65
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    47,210

    One guy allegedly put down over $6,000,000 combined at several different Sports Books on the Eagles. Same guy cleaned up on the World Series as well, winning over $10,000,000 on the WS.

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    16,371

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    Vegas got crushed last night with the Eagles winning. Not to mention they had the Eagles as an underdog in all three playoff games. Maybe these guys aren't so smart.....
    It will be the 3rd time Vegas has lost in 28 years on the super bowl. I'm sure the towm will still be standing.

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,347

    Quote Originally Posted by TAC View Post
    It will be the 3rd time Vegas has lost in 28 years on the super bowl. I'm sure the towm will still be standing.
    I'm sure. Just thought it would be appropriate to bring this back up. Vegas completely missed on the Eagles this year. Doesn't mean they will be closing any hotels or sports books over this.

  8. #68
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,812

    Again, Vegas isn't trying to pick the winners. Vegas is trying to make money. I haven't checked but I would think Vegas made money last night with the Eagles covering. I would think more was on the favorite. I saw one guy bet $1m on the Pats straight up to win $550k. Plenty more of those stories too.

    Edit: reading some articles it looks like most had a small loss. They all said they got killed on props.

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,347

    Quote Originally Posted by littleluck55 View Post
    Again, Vegas isn't trying to pick the winners. Vegas is trying to make money. I haven't checked but I would think Vegas made money last night with the Eagles covering. I would think more was on the favorite. I saw one guy bet $1m on the Pats straight up to win $550k. Plenty more of those stories too.

    Edit: reading some articles it looks like most had a small loss. They all said they got killed on props.
    The articles I've seen have shown the majority (around 54%) of the money was on the Eagles, as well as most of the really large action bets. As you mention, the props weren't very good to them either, but most of the losses came on the moneyline.

  10. #70
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,812

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    The articles I've seen have shown the majority (around 54%) of the money was on the Eagles, as well as most of the really large action bets. As you mention, the props weren't very good to them either, but most of the losses came on the moneyline.
    Moneyline killed them and props killed them. A bunch of high dollars came in right before kick off. Tough to adjust lines that way.

  11. #71

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,347

    Quote Originally Posted by littleluck55 View Post
    Moneyline killed them and props killed them. A bunch of high dollars came in right before kick off. Tough to adjust lines that way.
    I'm sure they'll get some of their losses back over the next few weeks as folks try to "reinvest" their winnings.

  12. #72
    Mack The Knife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    "Last night when we were young"
    Posts
    5,821

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    I'm sure they'll get some of their losses back over the next few weeks as folks try to "reinvest" their winnings.
    A wise friend of mine once said, “Gambling money has no home”.

  13. #73

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    584

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    Vegas got crushed last night with the Eagles winning. Not to mention they had the Eagles as an underdog in all three playoff games. Maybe these guys aren't so smart.....
    Vegas won on those first two playoff games as the majority of the money was on Atlanta and Minnesota. Vegas did not get crushed and they did not lose on the point spread last night.

  14. #74

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,347

    Quote Originally Posted by ManOfTroy View Post
    Vegas won on those first two playoff games as the majority of the money was on Atlanta and Minnesota. Vegas did not get crushed and they did not lose on the point spread last night.
    Again, all reports I’ve read is that Vegas lost last night. As far as the other games, they were brought up to address the original point of the thread....I made no comment on whether they lost or won on those games....just that the Eagles were dogs in both games.

  15. #75
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    Somewhere in the USA, standing & saluting those who defend our flag.
    Posts
    22,245

    The odds makers in Vegas are often brilliant.

Top