Ryan Finley

Page 2 of There was a short, but interesting (at least IMO) comment made by the CBS crew covering the Steelers-Bengals game yesterday. It was in the second half,... 34 comments | 877 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,947

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Bengals are going back to Dalton.
    Ugh this franchise really does have no direction. There is absolutely zero reason to go back to Dalton at this point. I don't think the Bengals beat the Patriots, or the Browns in any of their two games left with them even with Dalton. However, even though the Jets are playing better. I do think the Bengals have a chance to beat them and the Jets with Dalton. Meaning the Bengals then all of a sudden could be playing themselves out of not only the top pick, but also even possibly out of the top 3.

    You made the decision to bench Dalton, there really is no reason to go back. Continue with the tank job, and if you must go back to him. Then go back to him the last game of the year after you wrapped up the top pick. This way Dalton could have one last game to play as a Bengal.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,947

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    I wonder who made the decision to go back to Dalton and if it could have anything to do with the head coach trying to hang onto his job.
    I do think it was probably Taylor, but not because of his job being on the line. More because of he probably wants to at least get one win on his resume. Which probably won't happen against the Browns, or Patriots.

  3. #18
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    Ohio vs. the world!
    Posts
    23,855

    “If you move on from a rookie QB after 3 games, there would be no young QB’s in the league.” - Zac Taylor on Sunday.

  4. #19
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    7,907

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    “If you move on from a rookie QB after 3 games, there would be no young QB’s in the league.” - Zac Taylor on Sunday.
    Yeah, I can't tell if he's just not good with words or not, but he's made several statements that make me wonder if he's in over his head. Either he's still trying to get his sea legs underneath him running the entire show, or he's the second coming of Dave Shula. I'm hoping it's not the latter.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    6,439

    Quote Originally Posted by CincySportsFan View Post
    Yeah, I can't tell if he's just not good with words or not, but he's made several statements that make me wonder if he's in over his head. Either he's still trying to get his sea legs underneath him running the entire show, or he's the second coming of Dave Shula. I'm hoping it's not the latter.
    I said when he was hired that it was the latter. NO head coaching experience and just because you are on the staff as a QB coach that had success, does not mean you are going to have that same success. Just another example of how out of touch this organization truly is. There simply have been more bad coaches than good since Paul Brown gave up the reins many years ago. The problem is that Mikey boy will stick with this guy so long that it will take them a decade to attempt to right the ship.

    This Bengals organization is by far the worst run in the entire NFL, too many lawyers and not enough people that know the game of football.

  6. #21
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    32,984

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    I honestly expected them to put him in yesterday to try and beat the Steelers.
    The fact that they are making this move today and did not put Dalton in yesterday is terrible for Zac Taylor's credibility. After Taylor said yesterday that he was sticking with Finley, there can be little doubt that this move was front office dictated.

  7. #22
    cincyswords's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 19
    Posts
    57

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    The fact that they are making this move today and did not put Dalton in yesterday is terrible for Zac Taylor's credibility. After Taylor said yesterday that he was sticking with Finley, there can be little doubt that this move was front office dictated.
    Exactly what I was thinking. He is being directed to do this. Meanwhile does this mean Ryan Finley will not get another shot? It does to me.

  8. #23
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    7,907

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    The fact that they are making this move today and did not put Dalton in yesterday is terrible for Zac Taylor's credibility.
    Pure speculation on my part, but I'm wondering if he was on the verge of losing the locker room because of the "we're still trying to win" comments. The players may have already done their own "evaluation" of Finley and know that if Taylor was serious about winning, Dalton would've been in the Steelers game. I know the initial reports was that everyone had sort of rallied around Finley to begin with, but...

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,947

    Quote Originally Posted by CincySportsFan View Post
    Pure speculation on my part, but I'm wondering if he was on the verge of losing the locker room because of the "we're still trying to win" comments. The players may have already done their own "evaluation" of Finley and know that if Taylor was serious about winning, Dalton would've been in the Steelers game. I know the initial reports was that everyone had sort of rallied around Finley to begin with, but...
    That may have played a part. Honestly what probably hurt the most was the defense actually playing well the last 2 weeks. It would have been easy to keep Finley in if the defense was still playing well. However with the defense playing well, the running game doing better. It made it hard to sell to keep Finley in with how bad he has played, and basically the reason why they didn't win the last 2 games.

    I think the players know the long term plan is to have the top pick. However, at the same time players want to compete and try to win. I don't think any of them want to be known as a team that went winless. The team is still competing and playing hard, but the qb spot was killing them the last 2 weeks.

    I personally hope the Bengals compete but still don't win until the last week. I want the Bengals to be winless with the top pick secure going into the Browns game. With the Browns needing to win to make the playoffs. Then Dalton caps off his Bengals career with a win ruining the Browns playoff chances.

  10. #25
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    7,907

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    That may have played a part. Honestly what probably hurt the most was the defense actually playing well the last 2 weeks. It would have been easy to keep Finley in if the defense was still playing well. However with the defense playing well, the running game doing better. It made it hard to sell to keep Finley in with how bad he has played, and basically the reason why they didn't win the last 2 games.

    I think the players know the long term plan is to have the top pick. However, at the same time players want to compete and try to win. I don't think any of them want to be known as a team that went winless. The team is still competing and playing hard, but the qb spot was killing them the last 2 weeks.

    I personally hope the Bengals compete but still don't win until the last week. I want the Bengals to be winless with the top pick secure going into the Browns game. With the Browns needing to win to make the playoffs. Then Dalton caps off his Bengals career with a win ruining the Browns playoff chances.
    Agree with you on the first paragraph. Yes, when you only give up 16 or 17 points, you expect to win the game. So, to have that happen on back to back weeks, has got to keep it fresh on everyone's mind. I just hope Taylor doesn't go back to the "old" offensive game plan, and have Dalton throw it 50 times. And, I know I probably sound like a broken record with this...but, good night they've got to get Tyler Eifert more involved. It'd be one thing if Green would've been healthy all this time, but it's not.

    As to your last paragraph...I know it's the "smart" business thing to do (go winless)...but, screw it. I'm a fan. I want to see them win. That's why I wanted Dalton in the Steelers game...not only to win, but to see Pittsburgh lose. And yes, I'd love to see them beat the Browns. Would love to see Sam Hubbard sack Mayfield two or three times. If that means we get the #2 pick, heck I'm fine with that. There's no guarantee the Bengals will screw up the #1 pick any less than they'd screw up the #2 pick.

  11. #26
    sumoroyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Maysville, KY
    Posts
    10,885

    Wonder if this will encourage AJ Green to get his self on the field on Sunday.

  12. #27
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    ďIt's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,923

    Quote Originally Posted by sumoroyal View Post
    Wonder if this will encourage AJ Green to get his self on the field on Sunday.
    No chance I play this season if I'm AJ.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Oct 18
    Location
    Brooksville, KY
    Posts
    708

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    No chance I play this season if I'm AJ.
    I agree. Not worth the risk of injury in a contract year at this point, and every day that he is a thorn in the side of the Bengals (by keeping the media asking questions) increases the chance they don't franchise him. I do think they will franchise him though.

  14. #29
    sumoroyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Maysville, KY
    Posts
    10,885

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    No chance I play this season if I'm AJ.
    I always thought the code was if healthy, you play.

  15. #30
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    ďIt's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,923

    Quote Originally Posted by sumoroyal View Post
    I always thought the code was if healthy, you play.
    Maybe in high school and/or college. NFL is a different monster, for a myriad of reasons.

Top