Ravens 26 Browns 24

Page 2 of Final... 42 comments | 829 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    52,653

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    None of them has had to run as much as Lamar has to start with. As for Newton it's still his passing that hurts him. Basically only one season now where his team has done much.
    When Lamar being hurt becomes an issue (it has literally never been an issue, ever), then maybe these conversations will have some merit.

    He will get better as a passer. He will learn when to run and when not. They will design a playbook more suited to fit him. Everything points to him being successful rather than not, yet people continue to try to find reasons he won’t.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,037

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    When Lamar being hurt becomes an issue (it has literally never been an issue, ever), then maybe these conversations will have some merit.

    He will get better as a passer. He will learn when to run and when not. They will design a playbook more suited to fit him. Everything points to him being successful rather than not, yet people continue to try to find reasons he won’t.
    I do think he will be successful and have been saying that for weeks. I'm just pointing out that 2 of the 3 guys you mentioned who can run it are very gifted passers. The other Newton still struggles with accuracy. Which is one of the reasons why his teams haven't had sustained success besides the one great year.

    I agree Lamar will get better at passing. The question is how much he improves. Will it be more than what Newton has shown. Or will it be similar where its inconsistent.

  3. #18
    Pura Vida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 14
    Location
    A sky full of stars
    Posts
    1,226

    The Ravens have turned out to be a great fit for Lamar (and vice versa). I feel like his transition to the NFL and general improvements have been quietly brilliant in this short time. It must be due to quality coaching and a healthy atmosphere. So happy for him.

  4. #19
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,149

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    When Lamar being hurt becomes an issue (it has literally never been an issue, ever), then maybe these conversations will have some merit.

    He will get better as a passer. He will learn when to run and when not. They will design a playbook more suited to fit him. Everything points to him being successful rather than not, yet people continue to try to find reasons he won’t.
    Time and time again it has been proven that when a QB's main weapon is his legs, they're short for the NFL.

    Now I'm sure, like you mention, he'll improve his passing and they'll put together a more balanced playbook for him, but the fact remains guys that run as much as he did this season don't last.

    That's not doubting him, or his talents, it's simply drawing a logical conclusion from past evidence.

  5. #20
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    52,653

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Time and time again it has been proven that when a QB's main weapon is his legs, they're short for the NFL.

    Now I'm sure, like you mention, he'll improve his passing and they'll put together a more balanced playbook for him, but the fact remains guys that run as much as he did this season don't last.

    That's not doubting him, or his talents, it's simply drawing a logical conclusion from past evidence.
    Michael Vick played 15 seasons.

  6. #21
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    41,389

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Michael Vick played 15 seasons.
    No way Vick played 15 seasons. He was in Atlanta seven years (I think) starting in ‘01, off for a couple years in prison, then came back to Philly for one year that he didn’t play, then about a year and a half where he was “Michael Vick.” Then he was holding on for dear life to be on a roster. Vick played as “Michael Vick” as we are framing this discussion for only about six or seven years.

  7. #22
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,149

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Michael Vick played 15 seasons.
    Michael Vick didn't run the ball as much as people think.

    Most rushes he had in a season was 123. He averaged for his career just over 6 rushes a game. Lamar ran the ball 147 times this past season, and 119 of those were in the last 7 games, the ones he started.

    Vick ran the ball 873 times in his entire 143 game career.

  8. #23
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    52,653

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Michael Vick didn't run the ball as much as people think.

    Most rushes he had in a season was 123. He averaged for his career just over 6 rushes a game. Lamar ran the ball 147 times this past season, and 119 of those were in the last 7 games, the ones he started.

    Vick ran the ball 873 times in his entire 143 game career.
    You’re assuming Lamar will continue to run that much his entire career. You’re also assuming injuries will become such an issue that it will shorten his career, even though injuries have never been an issue.

    If he were getting destroyed every time he ran, it would be one thing. He doesn’t. And never has.

  9. #24
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    52,653

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    No way Vick played 15 seasons. He was in Atlanta seven years (I think) starting in ‘01, off for a couple years in prison, then came back to Philly for one year that he didn’t play, then about a year and a half where he was “Michael Vick.” Then he was holding on for dear life to be on a roster. Vick played as “Michael Vick” as we are framing this discussion for only about six or seven years.
    Michael Vick’s playing career was cut short because people care more about dogs than they do people...

  10. #25
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,149

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    You’re assuming Lamar will continue to run that much his entire career. You’re also assuming injuries will become such an issue that it will shorten his career, even though injuries have never been an issue.

    If he were getting destroyed every time he ran, it would be one thing. He doesn’t. And never has.
    What I've been saying, and continue to say, is that if he continues to run as much as he did this year, he will get hurt, and most likely significantly shorten his career. Like you said, I imagine they reign in the running and develop a more balanced playbook for him going forward.

    Him never being hurt thus far has nothing to do with it. It only takes one hit to ruin a career. Ask Alex Smith.

  11. #26
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    52,653

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    What I've been saying, and continue to say, is that if he continues to run as much as he did this year, he will get hurt, and most likely significantly shorten his career. Like you said, I imagine they reign in the running and develop a more balanced playbook for him going forward.

    Him never being hurt thus far has nothing to do with it. It only takes one hit to ruin a career. Ask Alex Smith.
    I suppose people will keep speculating until they are right. Virtually every player in the NFL experiences injury multiple times in their career. The fascination with Lamar’s apparent impending doom is exhausting, though.

  12. #27
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,149

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    I suppose people will keep speculating until they are right. Virtually every player in the NFL experiences injury multiple times in their career. The fascination with Lamar’s apparent impending doom is exhausting, though.
    I hope you're right, man. Lamar is fun to watch.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    The City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    2,419

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Michael Vick’s playing career was cut short because people care more about dogs than they do people...
    Vick's career was shortened because he did a terrible thing and was appropriately punished for it. Should other people be punished for things they do as well? Yes. That doesn't mean Vick's career shouldn't have been cut short (not that you were saying that.)

  14. #29
    True blue (and gold)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    "First, last and always, I am a teacher." - Jesse Stuart
    Posts
    28,862

    Let’s keep this thread about the Ravens and the Browns, not about Michael Vick’s off the field behaviors.

  15. #30
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    41,389

    I love watching the Ravens with Jackson at the helm. And good for Harbaugh to take a chance and change mid-year their entire philosophy. With a running threat at QB, teams can run the ball like no other. This is reminiscent of the Broncos in Tebow’s 2011 campaign. The Broncos were on life support and Tebow changed the culture. The Broncos were able to control the clock and their defense took it to another level.

Top