Off-Season Mega Thread

Page 5 of If it's not preferred I could make separate threads but some topics might not get a lot of traction. Things are starting to heat up in the off-season. ... 81 comments | 3325 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #61
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    32,827

    All the experts are saying the Browns still will take a QB at 1. I think I would go with Barkely. A stud RB will make every part of the team better. Offense better. More first downs and possession time make the defense better. If I am the Browns I take Barkley and the best QB still there at #4...unless I think one of the QB's is head and shoulders special above the rest.
    Advertisement

  2. #62
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,251

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    All the experts are saying the Browns still will take a QB at 1. I think I would go with Barkely. A stud RB will make every part of the team better. Offense better. More first downs and possession time make the defense better. If I am the Browns I take Barkley and the best QB still there at #4...unless I think one of the QB's is head and shoulders special above the rest.
    The browns have passed on a lot of good QBs lately. Can they afford to pass again and take leftovers?

  3. #63
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,251

    Quote Originally Posted by Footballforever74 View Post
    49ers are trying to sign Sherman.
    It's official now isn't it? I saw he signed.

  4. #64
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    9,246

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    All the experts are saying the Browns still will take a QB at 1. I think I would go with Barkely. A stud RB will make every part of the team better. Offense better. More first downs and possession time make the defense better. If I am the Browns I take Barkley and the best QB still there at #4...unless I think one of the QB's is head and shoulders special above the rest.
    The success you've seen teams have the past 3 years taking a high end running back is hard to dispute. Gurley, Zeke, Fournette have made massive impacts on their teams. Look at the Cowboys this year without Zeke. Dak was garbage and looked very below average. The complaint is always that you can draft one late but you can also miss on one late.

  5. #65
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,251

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    The success you've seen teams have the past 3 years taking a high end running back is hard to dispute. Gurley, Zeke, Fournette have made massive impacts on their teams. Look at the Cowboys this year without Zeke. Dak was garbage and looked very below average. The complaint is always that you can draft one late but you can also miss on one late.
    You can just as easily miss early.

    If Im the Browns and I like a QB, I'm taking one first then taking BPA at 4. A QB and Nelson would be fantastic.

  6. #66
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    9,246

    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    You can just as easily miss early.

    If Im the Browns and I like a QB, I'm taking one first then taking BPA at 4. A QB and Nelson would be fantastic.
    Absolutely. If I'm the Browns I take Rosen 1 and don't look back.

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    9,533

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    The success you've seen teams have the past 3 years taking a high end running back is hard to dispute. Gurley, Zeke, Fournette have made massive impacts on their teams. Look at the Cowboys this year without Zeke. Dak was garbage and looked very below average. The complaint is always that you can draft one late but you can also miss on one late.

    I agree a great rb makes it easier for a young qb. Barkley is a stud and Browns haven't had a stud rb in a long time.

  8. #68

    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    9,533

    Browns traded NT Danny Shelton to New England for draft picks.

  9. #69
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    32,827

    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    You can just as easily miss early.

    If Im the Browns and I like a QB, I'm taking one first then taking BPA at 4. A QB and Nelson would be fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Absolutely. If I'm the Browns I take Rosen 1 and don't look back.
    The key is do the Browns see any of these QB's as clearly better than the rest. Sure, if they believe there is a standout QB available, they should take him. A top QB can carry a franchise for 10 years. The greatest RB ever is probably slipping already in half that time. But if the margin of difference between the QB's is small, take the RB and then take the best QB available at #4.

    It looks to me like the new Browns GM is going after wins next year. He is making moves for wins now. If that is his philosophy, then you take the RB at #1 because he will impact the win column this year.

  10. #70
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,699

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    All the experts are saying the Browns still will take a QB at 1. I think I would go with Barkely. A stud RB will make every part of the team better. Offense better. More first downs and possession time make the defense better. If I am the Browns I take Barkley and the best QB still there at #4...unless I think one of the QB's is head and shoulders special above the rest.
    I'm assuming you are referring to me in the bold.

    I say they go QB because if they pass on one and that one has a stellar rookie season, the front office will be on the HOT seat. The Browns have let too many go by only to see them excel on another team. EVERYONE in Cleveland knows that the front office and coach is under tremendous scrutiny to get the QB we have been waiting 20 years to get. Even if passing on a QB could be justified in this draft in isolation, the cumulative effect of passing on previous available QBs has made grabbing one now a necessity.

  11. #71

    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    9,533

    The Browns can win with any qb if they get Barkley.

  12. #72
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,699

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    The key is do the Browns see any of these QB's as clearly better than the rest. Sure, if they believe there is a standout QB available, they should take him. A top QB can carry a franchise for 10 years. The greatest RB ever is probably slipping already in half that time. But if the margin of difference between the QB's is small, take the RB and then take the best QB available at #4.

    It looks to me like the new Browns GM is going after wins next year. He is making moves for wins now. If that is his philosophy, then you take the RB at #1 because he will impact the win column this year.
    I don't know if trading for Taylor gives us a clue to their thought process regarding a QB, but let's say it does. Taylor is a duel threat QB. Perhaps they will look for a draft pick with a similar skill-set to eventually take over from Taylor and exceed his talents. Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, and Baker Mayfield, and Lamar Jackson provide that. Josh Rosen definitely does not. Of the four that do, I think they will go with Darnold. Allen has accuracy problems. Mayfield is not the ideal size. Jackson is not at the same level as the others mentioned. They will have to believe they can eliminate Darnold's tendency to turn the ball over but some say he has a high ceiling and right now is a play-maker.

    The end of April is a long time away so I will probably reverse myself before the draft arrives. But dang, John Dorsey and Cleveland are making this interesting (at least for a Brown's fan).

  13. #73
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,699

    Quote Originally Posted by Footballforever74 View Post
    The Browns can win with any qb if they get Barkley.
    I can't agree that he is more important than a franchise-type QB. Perhaps Dorsey will figure out a way to get both, but I doubt it.

  14. #74

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,187

    Browns may have just won the AFC North in 2018 this week.

  15. #75
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,699

    We will soon find out if Joe Thomas retires or not. He said he would let the Browns know before free agency begins so they would know what they needed to do.

Top