NFL to Require All Personnel on Field to Stand for Anthem

  1. #1
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    62,925

    NFL to Require All Personnel on Field to Stand for Anthem

    NFL has made a resolution that will require all personnel on the field to stand for the Anthem. Anyone that doesn't will be fined. Those who opt to do so, can stay in the locker rooms until after the Anthem has been played.

    Interested if this will appease those who think players kneeling is harming the game?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,117

    Good

  3. #3
    Bengal Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    8,901

    It really didn't bother me who stood or who didn't. Just not something that I get worked up about. Not something I would do, but I am not going to judge people on this.

    My solution has always been to leave teams in the locker room until after the anthem. They did that several years ago anyway.

    This topic is a yawner to me.

  4. #4
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    141,583

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    NFL has made a resolution that will require all personnel on the field to stand for the Anthem. Anyone that doesn't will be fined. Those who opt to do so, can stay in the locker rooms until after the Anthem has been played.

    Interested if this will appease those who think players kneeling is harming the game?
    That is it?

    If that is the case I expect to see the issue continue this year.

  5. #5
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    62,925

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    That is it?

    If that is the case I expect to see the issue continue this year.
    What do you mean that's it?

    They can't suspend them. The players can stand, sit/kneel (subject to a fine), or stay in the locker room.

    What do you want them to do? Public floggings? Waterboard?

  6. #6
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    Somewhere in the USA, standing & saluting those who defend our flag.
    Posts
    21,723

    A day late and a dollar short NFL.

  7. #7
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    141,583

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    What do you mean that's it?

    They can't suspend them. The players can stand, sit/kneel (subject to a fine), or stay in the locker room.

    What do you want them to do? Public floggings? Waterboard?
    No stand, no play.

  8. #8
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    62,925

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    No stand, no play.
    Pretty sure that's not possible per the CBA.

  9. #9
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    141,583

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Pretty sure that's not possible per the CBA.
    Then hopefully the fines are very steep.

    This type of wishy washy policy can do more harm than good if the NFL isn't careful.

  10. #10
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    62,925

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Then hopefully the fines are very steep.

    This type of wishy washy policy can do more harm than good if the NFL isn't careful.
    More harm than good? How so?

  11. #11
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    141,583

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    More harm than good? How so?
    NFL players make big bucks (and good for them) and that allows them to throw away a certain amount of money which means any player could defy the NFL and the media circus will start back up and taint another year of NFL football.

    Or simply put, the NFL is at a crossroad and I wouldn't be leaving anything to chance if I were them.

  12. #12
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    Somewhere in the USA, standing & saluting those who defend our flag.
    Posts
    21,723

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Then hopefully the fines are very steep.

    This type of wishy washy policy can do more harm than good if the NFL isn't careful.
    Fines will impact non superstars (20 mill per year.) A lot of the players only play for 2-5 years. That money doesn’t last.

  13. #13
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Ville
    Posts
    50,444

    Freedom of Speech, unless we disagree!

    I will watch less NFL this year than I ever have.

  14. #14
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    62,925

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    NFL players make big bucks (and good for them) and that allows them to throw away a certain amount of money which means any player could defy the NFL and the media circus will start back up and taint another year of NFL football.
    IMO, that only applies for those who need something to complain about.

  15. #15
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    141,583

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    IMO, that only applies for those who need something to complain about.
    I want the NFL to be about football.

    Obviously last year the NFL didn't have the power to force personal to stand so they created a new rule this year. I don't understand how that works under the CBA, I thought everything had to bargained for and neither side could add or take away from the current CBA.

    My point is it doesn't solve anything and it may bring greater attention to the issue because once the NFL fines someone, that someone is probably going to enter into a protracted legal battle with the NFL and I think that is bad for everyone involved.

Top